Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OREGON > Oregon Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oregon Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Oregon Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:18 AM

Default Sending Wedding Ring into Two Rivers?

My husband is at Two Rivers and I was wanting to send him his wedding ring because I heard that they can have their wedding rings while incarcerated and he said it would make him feel more at home and closer to me if he had it. So my question is, is for those who have a husband/wife at Two Rivers, who did you contact about getting them their rings or how do I go about trying to make it happen?

Also, I just found out my husband is in the DSU (Disciplinary Segregation Unit) how long on average are people kept in there? He wrote me a letter and said he was going to be in there 10 days and should of been out yesterday from my calculations, if that was true..
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2012, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 8,425 Times in 3,285 Posts

Wedding rings have to be approved as 'religious items' if I remember correctly. Generally, inmates are not allowed to have them - they're too easily stolen/used in extortion. If it were me, I would wear it around my neck and tell him you want it to still be there for when he gets out - too many things can go wrong with something that small that also has value.

But. If he does really want it, he'll have to get a package pre-authorization form, and you'll need to find a jeweler or something like that who would be willing to ship it to him. It's quite the process. He'll need to start the pre-authorization on his end - and he will most likely be turned down unless he can make a very good case for it being a religious item.

He can also ask to speak to his counselor about it and ask him/her if there's even a chance.

To avoid that, you could also try making an origami (paper) ring out of candy wrappers (not sure if the wrappers would get through the mail room, but you could also fold one out of regular ol' paper and color it with non-toxic markers): http://www.origami-resource-center.c...r-origami.html

Last edited by GingerM; 12-07-2012 at 07:37 AM..
Old 12-07-2012, 11:37 AM
lost without my love

Actually it is a very simple process. The ring needs to be a plain band with no stones. You need to send it to him in care of the chaplain with a copy of your marriage license. When it gets there, the chaplain sends for him and will give it to him.

My husband and I actually had to do it twice, since he hadn't worn a wedding ring for quite awhile before he went to prison and I had to get him a new one. He was wrong about the ring size so ended up having to send it back and have me get another one, so we actually had to do it twice. It doesn't have to be sent from a jeweler, I bought my husband's at Walmart and sent it myself. Luckily I kept the receipt for when I had to exchange it.

Along with a copy of your marriage license, also include a note stating who it is for etc. and be sure to insure the package because you don't want something like a wedding ring to get lost.

Hope this answers your questions!

Last edited by TLAn4ever; 12-07-2012 at 11:41 AM.. Reason: Forgot something
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TLAn4ever For This Useful Post:
GingerM (12-07-2012), Kaliki (02-10-2013), Scott (12-08-2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 8,425 Times in 3,285 Posts

Thanks for educating me, TLA! My dad's lawyer had cautioned him against taking his, so I thought it was a bigger problem than it sounds like it's been for you two.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:05 PM
Lifecoach
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerM View Post
Wedding rings have to be approved as 'religious items' if I remember correctly. Generally, inmates are not allowed to have them - they're too easily stolen/used in extortion.
No one in Oregon's prison system would steal a wedding ring and live to talk about it. It simply isn't done. I have seen them traded for debts and/or other contraband - but always by the "owner".

Many men have them, and getting them is exactly as TLAn4ever described, and easily facilitated through the Chaplain. It's such a common process - so really no stress or hassle at all. Ditto on "insure the package".

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerM View Post
Thanks for educating me, TLA! My dad's lawyer had cautioned him against taking his, so I thought it was a bigger problem than it sounds like it's been for you two.
Wedding rings can't go through the intake process, and not because of fear of inmate theft, but for two other reasons; because the staff is responsible for those things during transport and they don't want to take responsibility, and because they are not sure of the mental stability of the inmates and they don't want anyone swallowing them in a suicide attempt. That first period at Coffee Creek is a real period of observation. Wedding rings must always must be sent in, after one has reached one's "Home Institution".

Last edited by Scott; 12-08-2012 at 12:10 PM..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scott For This Useful Post:
GingerM (12-08-2012), Kaliki (02-10-2013), TLAn4ever (12-08-2012)