Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BECOMING INVOLVED > Prison Activism
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Activism What's going on? How to become involved.

Old 10-02-2011, 03:49 AM

Arrow Government Has New Petition Platform

The government has a new petition platform called We the People. With this new platform we are given the opportunity to make real change if the signatures go over a certain quota. I want all of us to come together and draft the best possible petition we can covering the major issues our loved ones are facing being locked up. It is very clear from our own personal experiences as well as reading these forums that a lot of injustice is happening as well as violations of human rights issues. (I am fueled for this project by just having a visit with my BF today and hearing of the terrible things that have happened in the last few days, not to mention a fire alarm with no fire ruining 30 min of our 2 hr visit. He says the alarm has been going off consistently for a few days now.)

I want to do this together as a group for a few reasons:
1. With all of our input it will be thorough, and no one (who reads the petition) can say that their state or their prison doesn't have these types of problems because we are all from different places, are different races, and are from all walks of life
2. Multiple heads in a project are always better then 1.
3. If we did a bunch of separate petitions it is possible that none of our ideas will get enough signatures or attention
4. Our petition will have a snowball effect being that all who help write it will sign.
5. If we work together on this it is very possible that this can go viral on the internet and create major media attention!

The point of prison is yes punishment, but rehabilitation and creating and maintaining connections with family and community should be a main goal.

Some of the issues I personally want to address are:
  • Conjugal visits
  • COs getting their own junk food and fantastic meals while prisoners get donations from local organizations or nothing at all
  • Violations of human rights
  • Corrupt and or uncaring lawyers, judges, Sargent etc.
  • Lack of programs especially literacy
  • Improper care of those with health issues especially veterans
  • Mail issues and requirements
I'd love to hear of your problems and concerns,but please let's keep this on a positive beat and come up with actual solutions as well.

Justice System Reform is the focus of the petition we will draft. I look forward to all of your input.
The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to cornellcutie1 For This Useful Post:
amazingfaith (10-26-2011), austins girl (08-20-2012), Baileysbeck (11-11-2012), Bourtneyswife (11-08-2012), cindylou4477 (10-21-2011), cmsb (02-12-2013), cpkgirl (10-21-2011), daisybaby (06-11-2012), Dinaroo (10-21-2011), dominique721 (10-27-2011), EllenOhms (05-21-2019), ishookedonhim (06-19-2012), JBT53 (04-14-2015), Jinty62 (10-08-2011), Lovemybrother15 (10-06-2016), lowabeth (10-17-2011), Mrzhernandez13 (04-28-2012), msliberiangirl (09-07-2012), niecy38 (03-04-2013), othressa (10-13-2011), pookiepoo (03-22-2013), redneckgirl0325 (05-20-2013), ReysBaby (01-15-2012), sage26 (10-30-2011), shaneswife (10-17-2011), Southerngirl71 (10-10-2011), THAT1'SDABABY (03-14-2015), thompson6 (11-06-2012), tyson123 (10-23-2011), vpnvo (07-03-2014), WandaLena (12-25-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2011, 04:25 AM

Separating inmates by class eg...so. Hispanic, no. Hispanic. Blacks, whites It is well known they are rivals and any chance given when put together someone is stabbed or killed. And then everyone is on lockdown for months at a time. Why on earth would they continue to let them out to yard or wherever together knowing it will always result in death..... if they can run a separate program for protective custody then they can keep inmates separated from rivals permanantly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MyBookins For This Useful Post:
Jay1 (10-23-2011), THAT1'SDABABY (03-14-2015)
Old 10-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Our <3 is Worth the Wait
Donation Award 

Lack of trades and extensive classes. I am very interested, if you need help let me know. Maryland does not have congual visits which I feel is so wrong for married people. How do they expect us to keep our families together.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AuDiE's WiFe For This Useful Post:
Baubles (10-17-2011), Bella121712 (08-10-2016)
Old 10-02-2011, 06:58 PM

I too am very interested in this petition. As someone who with two relatives as well as my fiance inside I would really love to see some changes take place. It is really sad when a co from another state visits someone and is telling you how run down and bad the system is in your state. Yes I agree that they are there to be punished for there crimes but that does not mean that they are less than human. I mean come on you hear all the time about animal shelters being closed down due to inhumane conditions but yet the government thinks it is okay to allow people to live in the same deplorable conditions as they refuse to put animals into. I live in Virginia just realized I had forgot to mention that.

Last edited by bipolarangel; 10-02-2011 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: forgot to put my location.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bipolarangel For This Useful Post:
92lisamike (06-09-2012), cmsb (02-12-2013), Jay1 (10-23-2011), Jinty62 (10-30-2011), shaneswife (10-17-2011), StephLovesAve (09-07-2012)
Old 10-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Joseph &Kesondra

Yes I would love to be a part of a petition for three strikers and family visits. Whatever I can do let me know.
The Following User Says Thank You to cassy3345 For This Useful Post:
daisybaby (06-11-2012)
Old 10-02-2011, 09:52 PM

how about internal investigations of inmates? my fiance is in confinement under investigation and they can keep him there until he's released... innocent until proven guilty doesn't apply to inmates who are under investigation in prison. that is what i call human rights violations.

Nena y Papi por siempre
The Following User Says Thank You to jecci For This Useful Post:
M1SS1NGH1M2N1TE (06-06-2012)
Old 10-02-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecci View Post
how about internal investigations of inmates? my fiance is in confinement under investigation and they can keep him there until he's released... innocent until proven guilty doesn't apply to inmates who are under investigation in prison. that is what i call human rights violations.
Mine too he is not sentenced yet been in for over a year already. They say he is likely to be in for 3 before he even gets a trial date. Right to a fast and speedy trial, I think not!
The Following User Says Thank You to cornellcutie1 For This Useful Post:
StephLovesAve (09-07-2012)
Old 10-02-2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Loct15 View Post
Separating inmates by class eg...so. Hispanic, no. Hispanic. Blacks, whites It is well known they are rivals and any chance given when put together someone is stabbed or killed. And then everyone is on lockdown for months at a time. Why on earth would they continue to let them out to yard or wherever together knowing it will always result in death..... if they can run a separate program for protective custody then they can keep inmates separated from rivals permanantly.
I'm a little unclear as to whether or not you feel inmates should be separated by race. I can understand making a point to have people that belong to different gangs separated from each other because that is just asking for problems.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cornellcutie1 For This Useful Post:
iwannabesedated (10-21-2011), losowife (10-16-2011)
Old 10-02-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuDiE's WiFe View Post
Lack of trades and extensive classes. I am very interested, if you need help let me know. Maryland does not have congual visits which I feel is so wrong for married people. How do they expect us to keep our families together.
Whatever you can do to draw more attention to this thread would be appreciated. I believe there are only 4 states that do allow conjugal visits and although we (my guy and I ) are not married I still think it is something that is vital to maintaining families.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cornellcutie1 For This Useful Post:
iwannabesedated (10-21-2011), Jinty62 (10-30-2011), shaneswife (10-17-2011)
Old 10-02-2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bipolarangel View Post
I too am very interested in this petition. As someone who with two relatives as well as my fiance inside I would really love to see some changes take place. It is really sad when a co from another state visits someone and is telling you how run down and bad the system is in your state. Yes I agree that they are there to be punished for there crimes but that does not mean that they are less than human. I mean come on you hear all the time about animal shelters being closed down due to inhumane conditions but yet the government thinks it is okay to allow people to live in the same deplorable conditions as they refuse to put animals into. I live in Virginia just realized I had forgot to mention that.
Please spread the word on the forums about this thread! I agree with you and I think your comparison to shut down animal shelters is a great example we can use in our petition. Could you maybe do some research and see reasons shelters were closed down? Then we can compare it to the treatment we are hearing exists from our loved ones. I live in Florida just FYI for everyone.
iwannabesedated (10-21-2011)
Old 10-02-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassy3345 View Post
Yes I would love to be a part of a petition for three strikers and family visits. Whatever I can do let me know.
What are your major hot button issues with the justice system?
Old 10-02-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornellcutie1
I'm a little unclear as to whether or not you feel inmates should be separated by race. I can understand making a point to have people that belong to different gangs separated from each other because that is just asking for problems.
In california
As far as Mexicans and blacks are classified regardless of if your from a gang your either northern Mexican, southern Mexican ,blacks affiliated with bloods or blacks affiliated with crips. My personal experience is with Mexicans for many many years the southern and northern Mexicans are rivals and when put together someone is usually killed. Its also known the cops have chicken fights opening cells to one of each side to watch as they attack eachother. Just doesn't make sense to continue to have them put together when 100% of the time someone gets hurt.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MyBookins For This Useful Post:
Jay1 (10-23-2011), Jinty62 (10-30-2011), PrisonWife,CA (10-13-2011), sage26 (10-30-2011)
Old 10-03-2011, 12:01 AM
Love over Fear
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,254 Times in 755 Posts

I would call it "Family Visits"

Family focus: Reasonable location of inmate to encourage/facilitate visits)

Solitary confinement needs a cap.

I recognize the importance of States and their independence, but state prisons are assisted by federal grants, therefore a more universal approach to DOC standards is called for.

Stronger emphasis on overcoming addiction

Access to higher education via internet: occupational or degree goal
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to decoprincess For This Useful Post:
DiamondX (10-14-2011), iwannabesedated (10-21-2011), Jinty62 (10-30-2011)
Old 10-03-2011, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by decoprincess View Post
I would call it "Family Visits"

Family focus: Reasonable location of inmate to encourage/facilitate visits)

Solitary confinement needs a cap.

I recognize the importance of States and their independence, but state prisons are assisted by federal grants, therefore a more universal approach to DOC standards is called for.

Stronger emphasis on overcoming addiction

Access to higher education via internet: occupational or degree goal
Thanks so much for contributing!
Could you explain a little more about what you mean as far as solitary having a cap? Is it per month, per year, for the life of the sentence etc?
I strongly agree with your thoughts on a universal system.
Higher education is a great addition as well.
Jinty62 (10-30-2011)
Old 10-04-2011, 07:39 AM

More educational classes, trade school, conjugal visits, a/c in the summer (many states esp. Texas does not have ac in the prisons and a couple of inmates died this summer because of it), parole board issues
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to boobie1110 For This Useful Post:
Jay1 (10-23-2011), julylady58 (10-27-2011), shaneswife (10-17-2011)
Old 10-04-2011, 09:15 AM

Default I need directions

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornellcutie1 View Post
The government has a new petition platform called We the People. With this new platform we are given the opportunity to make real change if the signatures go over a certain quota. I want all of us to come together and draft the best possible petition we can covering the major issues our loved ones are facing being locked up. It is very clear from our own personal experiences as well as reading these forums that a lot of injustice is happening as well as violations of human rights issues. (I am fueled for this project by just having a visit with my BF today and hearing of the terrible things that have happened in the last few days, not to mention a fire alarm with no fire ruining 30 min of our 2 hr visit. He says the alarm has been going off consistently for a few days now.)

1. With all of our input it will be thorough, and no one (who reads the petition) can say that their state or their prison doesn't have these types of problems because we are all from different places, are different races, and are from all walks of life
3. If we did a bunch of separate petitions it is possible that none of our ideas will get enough signatures or attention
4. Our petition will have a snowball effect being that all who help write it will sign.
5. If we work together on this it is very possible that this can go viral on the internet and create major media attention!

The point of prison is yes punishment, but rehabilitation and creating and maintaining connections with family and community should be a main goal.

• Conjugal visits
  • COs getting their own junk food and fantastic meals while prisoners get donations from local organizations or nothing at all
I'd love to hear of your problems and concerns,but please let's keep this on a positive beat and come up with actual solutions as well.

Justice System Reform is the focus of the petition we will draft. I look forward to all of your input.

Hello,
I love to sign the petition if it WILL make a change. So far my life is full of frustration and anger on US justice system. The rules FBOP created for prisons are not followed by most of prison's staff. In many federal facilities medical staff does not have proper level of competency to provide health care to handicapped inmates. There are power abuse and physical torture from prison's staff covered by the administration, lack of administrative remedy request and other forms for inmate's complaints. FBOP is completely ignoring family's financial burden placing inmates over 1,500 mls away from home, which is critical during recession time.
I really with to make a difference. So far my voice was not heard, even I tried to involve state congressman and senators. I wish, someone will unite our voices. Would you do that?
Can you write the draft of the petition, so everyone who cares will read it and add their suggestions?

Thank you,
I am from NE

Last edited by tatmar2002; 10-04-2011 at 09:40 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to tatmar2002 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boobie1110 View Post
More educational classes, trade school, conjugal visits, a/c in the summer (many states esp. Texas does not have ac in the prisons and a couple of inmates died this summer because of it), parole board issues
Great addition with the A/C I would have never thought of that one!
Old 10-04-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatmar2002 View Post
Hello,
I love to sign the petition if it WILL make a change. So far my life is full of frustration and anger on US justice system. The rules FBOP created for prisons are not followed by most of prison's staff. In many federal facilities medical staff does not have proper level of competency to provide health care to handicapped inmates. There are power abuse and physical torture from prison's staff covered by the administration, lack of administrative remedy request and other forms for inmate's complaints. FBOP is completely ignoring family's financial burden placing inmates over 1,500 mls away from home, which is critical during recession time.
I really with to make a difference. So far my voice was not heard, even I tried to involve state congressman and senators. I wish, someone will unite our voices. Would you do that?
Can you write the draft of the petition, so everyone who cares will read it and add their suggestions?

Thank you,
I am from NE
Dear Tatmar,
I am happy to have you on board you have mentioned quite a few things that I have not yet though of and will be sure to add. I think all of us here on this site have experienced frustration like you have experienced, I certainly have. Frustration does not even begin to define my feelings towards to the justice system and what I am seeing and hearing. My biggest problem as you said is that the prisons specifically their staff are not following or abiding protocol. My loved one has experienced physical abuse because of complaints I made to the prison regarding other issues.

I feel the FBOP has some people far distances away from their hometown in order to deter contraband, drug deals, and escape plans.

Things need to change and I see no one really making an impact by themselves that's why I wanted to join together with all of you.I will do that. I ask you to aid me in spreading the word of us organizing and putting this petition together.

Currently I am in the collecting phase: collecting everyone's concerns then I will draft, and draft again with the aid of all of you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cornellcutie1 For This Useful Post:
iwannabesedated (10-21-2011), shaneswife (10-17-2011)
Old 10-06-2011, 10:47 PM

I'm in 100 percent. Inhumane treatment of inmates is the only one I would add. I have been in court 4 times in 3 years and have been appalled at what I call "injustice for all". And then comes the prison and the real nightmare begins. How many of us have seen the spark go out of our loved ones eyes? It took all of us over the years to make this system and it will take all of us now to re-make this system. I also want to make a difference, please let me know how I can help. Don't most papers have a free ad? Would it be possible to place one in several papers all over the country to get the word out? I'm in CA.
Old 10-06-2011, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizss View Post
I'm in 100 percent. Inhumane treatment of inmates is the only one I would add. I have been in court 4 times in 3 years and have been appalled at what I call "injustice for all". And then comes the prison and the real nightmare begins. How many of us have seen the spark go out of our loved ones eyes? It took all of us over the years to make this system and it will take all of us now to re-make this system. I also want to make a difference, please let me know how I can help. Don't most papers have a free ad? Would it be possible to place one in several papers all over the country to get the word out? I'm in CA.
Glad to have you with us I wish this thread would get more attention on PT. We might be a few,but I see that we are mighty (angry and otherwise). My man is chained up like Hannibal just to go to his pre-trials he hasn't even been convicted yet and this is how they treat him. His fire is like a little flickering candle where it looks like it is going to go out and you hold your breath praying that if he just holds on we will get through this. It comes back, but it ebs and flows in brightness so I can really relate to your spark comment. I've never heard of papers giving away free ad space. Maybe you can look into it for your town/state and get back to us. If there is such a thing maybe you can ask that paper if there are any affiliates of theirs nationwide. Thank you for helping out!
Old 10-06-2011, 11:33 PM

What can I do to get in in this...to help? I'll do anything. I agree with a previous post on calling conjugals, family visits as well. Putting the focus on family is a much better point of view for it. People read "conjugal" and only see "sex." We have no conjugal visits in Az. Another said proposing to run ac during the summer--YES. I have two family members and my fiance in..and for quite some time. It gets ridiculously hot in Az, and needless to say..a swamp cooler does nothing. The health system...I could go on n on about it. It's so terrible for them. Surgical procedures are being performed by inept doctors in the prison facility itself...and not correctly, then being sewn up n sent off with tylenol.. And that's when they finally decide to even see anyone. I have lots to say, and would love to know how to help make a change. Our LOs aren't there on vacation, I know that, but some of what goes on in there is downright inhumane.
The Following User Says Thank You to im.his.baby For This Useful Post:
Jinty62 (10-30-2011)
Old 10-07-2011, 09:53 AM

Default backward system

My son is in South Central Correctional Center in Licking Missouri, and has been in the hole for over a year now. They have stacked so many violations on him, he will be in there until 12/12. I haven't touched him since last July 2010. Some of the violations are his that he did in retaliation, when provoked. Most are made up. They have threatened to find a knife in his cell. The constitute services for DOC say things like this don't happen this day and age. Well the DOC also said there has never been any force used on him. He has had the extraction team 3 times in there that I know of. And they taped it he told me they held him under water and continued to use the shock shield on him even though he stopped resisting. He told me to have them check the tapes. I know he is not making this up. I have talked to other mothers in the visiting room and their kids are going through similar situations. He was placed on what they call meal loaf for 21 days, that is 63 meals. They are only supposed to get it for 18 meals at a time. At one point they lost his laundry for a month. He also went months without being taken outside. He has been placed on suicide watch 2 or three times. It took us almost 6 months and allot of phone calls to get surgery on his ear. The infection he had was so bad it was in the bones and he had a preferred ear drum. The treatment there is horrible. What can I do? DOC has investigated it and of course their investigator was a guard there. He came up with nothing. We called our district rep and she contacted a liaison he investigated it came up with no mistreatment. All this time No One Contacted My Son. Now since he has fought back and stood up to them, no one wants to help they say "he is no angel". So the guards get away with what they have done, and it will be with him psychologically forever. I read allot about the California prisons but not Missouri prisons. How do I get them to investigate our prisons? They need to talk to the inmates not just go by what the guards say. I believe there is a code of silence between the guards. You treat someone like an animal long enough they will start to act like one. This is no way to rehabilitate anyone, maybe that is why there is so many going back to prison. If you have any information on how I can help to make a difference, and help my son. He is only 23 this last year has changed him drastically.
Quote:

• Conjugal visits

Old 10-07-2011, 10:07 AM

Default the hole

Solitare confinement or ad seg, should only be used for inmates that are a danger to themselves or others. and only for a short time not years. they stack bogus violations on or provoke them to act out so some inmates end up burried in there. There should be an outside group to oversee the prisons or at least to investigate complaints. They put my son in a suicide cell with nothing but a paper robe and mattress no mail nothing. He wasn't suicidal I just visited him the day before he was fine. then when he got out they took all his stamps saying he didn't have a reciept i paid for those stamps . they tore up his pictures of his daughter and letters. this is so frustrating. The families i talk to who have people in the hole say they are going through some of the same stuff, i give them numbers of groups and people to contact, in hopes that they use them. there is power in numbers, unity.

Quote:

• Conjugal visits

The Following User Says Thank You to heartbrokn For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by im.his.baby View Post
What can I do to get in in this...to help? I'll do anything. I agree with a previous post on calling conjugals, family visits as well. Putting the focus on family is a much better point of view for it. People read "conjugal" and only see "sex." We have no conjugal visits in Az. Another said proposing to run ac during the summer--YES. I have two family members and my fiance in..and for quite some time. It gets ridiculously hot in Az, and needless to say..a swamp cooler does nothing. The health system...I could go on n on about it. It's so terrible for them. Surgical procedures are being performed by inept doctors in the prison facility itself...and not correctly, then being sewn up n sent off with tylenol.. And that's when they finally decide to even see anyone. I have lots to say, and would love to know how to help make a change. Our LOs aren't there on vacation, I know that, but some of what goes on in there is downright inhumane.
By responding you are already in! Please spread the word about what we are doing here in other threads you are a part of or with other members on this site. Family and friends of you and your loved one can join as well. So, it seems Family Visits are something a lot us desire. I will be sure to highlight that in the draft. I agree with you people hear conjugal and their mind is one tracked. AC in "hot states" seems to be another key concern too. My love has also mentioned the incompetency of the medical staff not to mention the lack of staff in that department as well. Please don't hold anything back list any and all scenarios you have experienced. All info and data is useful in creating this petition. The more examples with real life stories the more we flesh this problem out and the more real it becomes to recruit allies for our cause.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J&Loct15 View Post
In california
As far as Mexicans and blacks are classified regardless of if your from a gang your either northern Mexican, southern Mexican ,blacks affiliated with bloods or blacks affiliated with crips. My personal experience is with Mexicans for many many years the southern and northern Mexicans are rivals and when put together someone is usually killed. Its also known the cops have chicken fights opening cells to one of each side to watch as they attack eachother. Just doesn't make sense to continue to have them put together when 100% of the time someone gets hurt.
Thanks for clarifying I didn't realize there were issues with people of the same race (usually people try to find one group of a different race to put down). I suppose when people feel powerless they try their best to create a heirachy to establish a sense of power.