Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Texas that do not fit into any other Texas subforum.

Old 05-28-2012, 06:43 PM

Default Need help getting a lawyer ....

My brother got hurt, multiple times, by a prison guard. He is in the micheal unit. He wants to press charges, so we would like to get a lawyer to look into the case for us. We live in a different state, so going to texas to look for one is out of the question. Finding one close to the prison will be the best solution because the lawyer may have to go the prison to talk to my brother personally. We're asking if anyone has had a similar situation happen to them and if there are any lawyer recommendations?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2012, 07:40 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,327 Times in 678 Posts

I'm sure someone will come along shortly who will be able to help you out. There are many attorneys who have been cussed/discussed on the forum . . . so you should get some good info.

Just wanted to say welcome to PTO. Hang in there! We have all been where you are or we're there now.

*smile*
Old 05-28-2012, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sttime View Post
My brother got hurt, multiple times, by a prison guard. He is in the micheal unit. He wants to press charges, so we would like to get a lawyer to look into the case for us. We live in a different state, so going to texas to look for one is out of the question. Finding one close to the prison will be the best solution because the lawyer may have to go the prison to talk to my brother personally. We're asking if anyone has had a similar situation happen to them and if there are any lawyer recommendations?

Thank you.
My son needs a lawyer too, his about to go to prison an scared something like this is going to happen to him. But hes going to prison for something he didn't do.... And the police know THISIf theres any lawyers in illinois that can help please.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:54 PM

Thanked 11,101 Times in 6,007 Posts

It need not be someone who practices in the Anderson County area. You are looking for someone that does civil work since otherwise you need to be able to persuade either a DA or an AUSA to be willing to pick up the matter for criminal charges (which you will not be able to prosecute on an individual basis).

There are other issues that will come into place with respect to liability in terms of monetary awards, although I know that Richard Gladden just had a lengthy Opinion/Order come out of Austin a little over a week ago regarding parole employees and Board member liability. It expanded on some other decisions he had been involved with concerning getting around the whole immunity defenses that historically come into play on this type of litigation. It was out of Yeakel's court and I believe it got some press in both Grits for Breakfast as well as the Austin American Statesman. It was a decision that I know the State took notice of because one of my agency contacts forwarded me an internal email that had routing that started in the Director's office...and for that to occur says Yeakel yanked SOMEONE'S chain.

The problem you will run into is that these are not cases that most people will take on a contingency basis and it will be even more difficult finding a firm to take it on a pro bono basis. Litigation at the federal level is costly, even moreso when filing suit against the State.
The Following User Says Thank You to CenTexLyn For This Useful Post:
mlt576 (05-29-2012)
Old 05-28-2012, 09:27 PM

Superstar of the Year 

Thanked 4,951 Times in 3,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliemay View Post
My son needs a lawyer too, his about to go to prison an scared something like this is going to happen to him. But hes going to prison for something he didn't do.... And the police know THISIf theres any lawyers in illinois that can help please.
Hi elliemay, and welcome to PTO! You have posted in the Texas specific forums, and I don't know that many Texas members will be able to help. But if you look around and perhaps post your question in the ILLINOIS specifc forums, maybe the Illinois PTO members can help. I wish you the best of luck!

[/color][/size][/center]

Old 05-29-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CenTexLyn View Post
It need not be someone who practices in the Anderson County area. You are looking for someone that does civil work since otherwise you need to be able to persuade either a DA or an AUSA to be willing to pick up the matter for criminal charges (which you will not be able to prosecute on an individual basis).

There are other issues that will come into place with respect to liability in terms of monetary awards, although I know that Richard Gladden just had a lengthy Opinion/Order come out of Austin a little over a week ago regarding parole employees and Board member liability. It expanded on some other decisions he had been involved with concerning getting around the whole immunity defenses that historically come into play on this type of litigation. It was out of Yeakel's court and I believe it got some press in both Grits for Breakfast as well as the Austin American Statesman. It was a decision that I know the State took notice of because one of my agency contacts forwarded me an internal email that had routing that started in the Director's office...and for that to occur says Yeakel yanked SOMEONE'S chain.

The problem you will run into is that these are not cases that most people will take on a contingency basis and it will be even more difficult finding a firm to take it on a pro bono basis. Litigation at the federal level is costly, even moreso when filing suit against the State.

Thanks for the info. I figured it would be a long shot. There's gotta be something we can do though. Contact a representative, the director of prisons, or at least hire a lawyer to look at the case; maybe letting the guards know or at least think that my brother will have competent representation if the activities continue.