Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Headed to Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Headed to Prison Dedicated to those who are facing incarceration. What to expect; what you can do to prepare; Q&A's; support.

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 02:00 AM

Unhappy need advice dont know what to expect

I am a level 35 plea bargainer. 12-14 year range for conspiracy to import 310 grams of meth. i need to provide substancial assitstance to qualify for the minimum 10 and a downward departure. my lawyer said the judge will decide the time and it could be from time served to life at his discretion. Does having a family with more bills than what they can pay play any part in this and what are the odds of me getting supervised release after giving up about 10-15 people. please be honest.

thanks for any reply
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2005, 02:18 AM

The chances of you realistically getting only probation are slim to none. Having a family with bills to pay will also most likely not be a factor. In fact, that is the norm for the large majority of federal inmates serving time. Most have families that have a lot of bills to pay, due to attorneys fees, the offender being incarcerated and therefore unable to provide financial support to the family, etc.

There is also a moral implication you need to consider when you are talking about "giving up" 10-15 people. If you do so, and still go to prison, my advice would be to never, ever let anyone inside know. People who receive a break due to "substantial assistance" are viewed as being pretty close to the bottom of the food chain in prison. Especially in a male facility. Most drug offenders are sitting in prison because someone gave them up.

Last edited by cjjack; 03-22-2005 at 02:21 AM..
Old 03-22-2005, 03:19 AM

I agree with the comments made in the previous post, it is extremely unlikely that you will be sentenced as Time Served or indeed get probation.

I also agree, that it would be extremely unwise to tell anyone that you have made a deal or even thought about contemplating such a move.

If you think for a moment that any of your associates are aware of what you have been thinking I would strongly suggest that you inform the authorities of your concerns on Reception to the prison.

On the other hand, once you have made that step I would suggest that the authority's will place you in isolation or protection. Prisons may be large but the other inmates will soon learn about your isolation and you will then have been labled by the other prisoners and this lable will be with you forever.

It is not an easy choice to make, but none the less you must decide. If your associates are not aware of what you may have been contemplating keep quiet and say nothing more.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:34 AM
Are we having fun yet????

I also agree with the comments above-but want to add-think of your family's safety on the outside if you decide to give up those people.I would fear retaliation-not only on the inside but possibly the outside as well.You will not be there to protect them.Retaliation fears will add to their misery of unpaid bills and loss of companionship.
Old 03-23-2005, 10:34 AM

We were ratted on so I am not going to make this easy for you. I spent two years inside after being threatened with 99 and was told that if i gave up people i would not get any. I am a woman and refused to say anything knowing what my fate would be. To me no one made me do what i did and no one is to blame i got caught. You knew you took that chance to get caught when you were on the street making big money now you want eveyone to go down with you that sucks big time. Be a man a face what you have done alone and take no one with you remember IF YOU CAN'T DO THE TIME DON'T DO THE CRIME!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-23-2005, 11:54 AM
Best Friend to Jesse

I hope everything works out for you. What a scary situation to be in
Old 03-23-2005, 05:33 PM
Banned

There is a old saying in prison. "Snitches get stiches" . Believe it once your wear a snitch label you entire prison life will total hell. Looking over your back, waiting for some other inmate to make a name for himself by shanking you in the back. This happens everyday in prison. Like someone else said already" Don't do the crime if you can't do the time".
Old 03-23-2005, 09:48 PM
Best Friend to Jesse

You guys are probably scaring the he** out of him
Old 03-24-2005, 01:08 AM

As my signature implies ,If you ask me the question, don't get mad if the answer is not what you wanted to hear, This is the Truth NO LIES, welcome to reality!!!
We can only make him aware of the options and pray that he makes the right choices,better prepared than not!!!

I hope that everything works out for him , but I won't coverup to give him a false sense of security, the previous posts have been frank and honest and designed to advise, hope he take it that way.

Last edited by seenitall; 03-24-2005 at 01:17 AM..
Old 03-24-2005, 10:13 AM

You all really don't know his entire situation so it is rather unfair to judge him. I didn't think this was the place to come to be judged.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:07 PM

Old 03-24-2005, 03:13 PM

His Thread question was"Need advise don't know what to expect"
and I believe we have answered him truthfully and honestly
I do not believe I have been judgemental just advising him on the options and the reality of things , the decisions he makes is upto him alone. You are right when you say that we don't know his personal situation so all we can do is advise him on what we do know.
As I stated previously better prepared than not!!!
If anyone has taken offence my apologies, not intended to offend

Last edited by seenitall; 03-24-2005 at 03:30 PM..
Old 03-24-2005, 07:35 PM

Thanks for the replys. I've been talking to my lawyer and he's giving it to straight up both ways. Carry my cross or let them buy what I have to sell. I'm also wondering about the BOP inmate locator that says not in BOP custody. Can anyone tell me what that means. One of co-conspirators name reads that. It dosent say released like others. He's been out for more than 9yrs. Does it mean he plead guilty or is it automatic when being processed by the Feds. This will be his 2nd drug felony. Again thanks for the honest replys keep'em coming they really make me see things and think in alternate ways.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:18 PM

i hope you have really thought about the whole, "giving up names" idea....the feds will tell you that they will help you out if you do but it is always up to the judge what amount of time he wants to hand out that day. i will be going behind the wall in about a month due to the fact that they want me to give up names and i won't....they have promised all kinds of things, but i have seen first hand what happens to snitches in prison....the kind of time you are looking at seems as though you will be going to a USP, and if that is the case i hope no one finds out what you have done because i have seen guys rocked to sleep in which they don't come back....evaluate if you are willing to take that chance and if you are, ask to go to a cheese factory with all the other snitches, you may last a little longer there. best of luck to you with whatever you decide.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:36 AM

[quote]i hope you have really thought about the whole, "giving up names" idea....the feds will tell you that they will help you out if you do but it is always up to the judge what amount of time he wants to hand out that day. i will be going behind the wall in about a month due to the fact that they want me to give up names and i won't....they have promised all kinds of things, but i have seen first hand what happens to snitches in prison....the kind of time you are looking at seems as though you will be going to a USP, and if that is the case i hope no one finds out what you have done because i have seen guys rocked to sleep in which they don't come back....evaluate if you are willing to take that chance and if you are, ask to go to a cheese factory with all the other snitches, you may last a little longer there. best of luck to you with whatever you decide.I couldn't have put it better myself, listen to what we are telling you please!!! this is not a game!! as you will soon find out. The DA will make you all kind of assurrances but at the end of the day what sacrifice are you willing to make having seen what I have seen inside and I shouldn't say this but as your lawyer stated " I would carry the cross" don't think it's over when it will never be over , listen to what we are saying if not for your own sake for your family, you owe them that!!!, or is this just about you???????

Last edited by seenitall; 03-25-2005 at 01:50 AM..
Old 04-03-2005, 09:51 PM
Banned

WingWing,

Your taking your life in your hands bro. I've seen snitches get raped and shanked all for giving up a name or too for a bs promise.

Hey it's your nickel. Just remember if you do drop a dime on someone, you better pray they only come get you and not any of your friends or family! Prison ain't a game. But, like I said it's your a$$.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:00 PM
one lucky woman

If you don't like the idea of doing time, well, neither do those people you'd be giving up...Karma's a b****...

Diamond: a lump of coal that did well under pressure
Old 04-04-2005, 09:39 AM

My case was not a drug case, but I had to learn the hard way not to trust people when you are in this situation. I could of released lots of information about the tribe I worked for,but instead I kept quiet and faced the punishment for the crime I did. My husband still works for the tribe so there for I did not want to make his life any harder than it could of been when I have to go away. Right now instead of putting yourself first try and put your family there, and what would happen to them if you gave away the people to the the feds. I wish you and your family luck. This times will be real trying on everyone.
Kaci
Old 04-05-2005, 08:49 PM

With the exception of sex crimes, NEVER SNITCH. I realize you are facing a horrific situation. I myself could not imagine 10+ years in prison. All I can say is that you should save your honor. Don't be a rat. honor is more valuble than freedom. Take care and do the right thing. I hope you get through this.
Closed Thread