Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Criminal Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Criminal Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources on dealing with criminal justice legal issues, appeals, and more..

Old 05-19-2010, 12:04 AM

Question Absconding & working a job? Please help

My boyfriend was released in March after completing his 5th term at a California prison. His parole is 3 years. He is STUCK in Los Angeles because Parole says he cannot leave, which is NOT good for him-nowhere to live, shelters on skid row and around drugs everywhere, which is his problem and what got him locked up in the first place. He's already relapsed and went into detox and just wants a fresh start. He is clean right now with a clear head and DESPERATE to get away from Southern California. Parole is giving him the run-around with transferring to Seattle or Chicago where his family is, and he's considering just leaving, absconding. I'm torn because while I want him to do things the right way, I know that if he stays in there on the streets in his current situation he WILL die.

NOW, THE MAIN QUESTION: If he goes to Chicago or Seattle and gets a righteous job like he wants, will parole be able to track him through his social security number? Will they look for him? How long will he have?

He realizes there will be consequences for his actions if he takes off and leaves Cali, and he accepts that. But to stay in LA where everything and everyone he knows for the last 10 years screams DRUGS and with nowhere to live, he's thinking of taking this chance to have a normal life again. His parole agent is vague on giving him any resources, he's tried 3 residential treatment programs just for a place to live but has been turned away because they don't have any beds or because he doesn't have any money.

He just wants to do right and get a real life back, even if the California Parole Board won't let him. This is really scary for him. Please, any help or thoughts are truly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2010, 06:57 AM

Well...I'm not going to advise on whether he should stay or go. My fiance is absconding right now. Same problem. No family there,no place to stay etc. When he went in last year for a violation(absconded and decided to go to cali for the weekend,big mistake) he wanted to do everything right. We would have even gotten married sooner so he could transfer. Was a mess. His PO was not very helpful @ all. He had nowhere to stay and PO said he didn't care if he slept on a park bench. Another issue was gettin him from prison to see PO as they don't get a full 200 gate money when in on violation....@ least he didn't.....couldn't send him money till he got out.....was told by his PO that he didn't care if he hitchhiked as long as he was @ his office the next day.....his PO was just so negative. I asked what he could do for him for the time being and I could send money but he had no interest in any assistance. Needless to say he got out and got, I sent him a package to a hotel so he could have money to eat and stuff and he showered,ate and hopped on the greyhound to nevada. His PO knows he's here with me. Even gave them our address. Been here for a year. They say they won't bother him until he is arrested and brought back. He even calls his PO and checks in with him.....silly.....we heard about the non revocable parole. He was told he could turn himself in and they would send his info to sacramento and know within a week if he's approved. They say he qualifies but I'm sure they will say just about anything to get him there. We have 2 options....leave it as is or go there on my next vacation and try for NRP. He does well here....no problems. Now part of our issue is his divorce was never finalized 3 yrs ago....so the transfer here is slim to none. Anyway.....that's where we are at. Always better to do things the right way but sometimes people are better off
The Following User Says Thank You to pengowin For This Useful Post:
pinkdoll (05-19-2010)
Old 05-19-2010, 08:18 AM

Thanked 3,310 Times in 1,684 Posts

Get the paperwork in order and do it the right way. If he absconds, he will be easily tracked with a job that reports his social security number to the state and Federal government. He will then go back to prison. If you love him, maybe you'll have to go out to CA for awhile. He needs somewhere to stay-and someone is going to have to provide his support, until he can get out of there. You knew from jump that he was going to be on parole-they don't always let them move. If he just leaves he will get caught. It not a good situation,but you will have to find a solution. I understand the temptation to go back into the same lifestyle that got him put in prison, but they don't really care, as its designed to get him locked up again as thats how prisons stay in business- the more bodies in there as they can get. He has to be stronger than that. Get a plan together, so that he can survive. If you think he's going to die, then let him get locked up again by absconding, but I think you need to come up with a better solution.Parole is not going to come up with an answer. He's a grown man and if you're standing by him, its both of your responsibilities.
The Following User Says Thank You to thatwiz For This Useful Post:
pinkdoll (05-19-2010)
Old 05-19-2010, 09:16 AM
attorney

Thanked 22,290 Times in 7,748 Posts

It all depends on what his crime was and what kind of a job he's trying to get. Generally, and this is just a general statement that may or may not apply to your situation, they only get in trouble when they get stopped by a cop. That's stopped for any reason - speeding ticket, getting IDed in a situation, any time a cop might run your ID, you can count on spending time in lock-up. Then, you're stuck there until the state with the warrant decides if it wants to extradite or not. So, if he absconds, there's the constant risk of a sudden, unexpected vacation with the possibility of return to CA.

It's difficult to balance that threat against the temptation of drugs, especially when he's weak, unsupported, surrounded by temptation. The one nice thing about LA/Orange county is that there's always an AA or NA meeting at just about any time of day on any day. Program people can be wonderful resources for help, and they are support. That's a start. From there, keep working the internet. If applicable, find faith based programs and residences Once things are a bit calmer in CA, you can take your time thinking about and putting together a plan.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:25 AM

Thanked 2,162 Times in 1,469 Posts

" If he goes to Chicago or Seattle and gets a righteous job like he wants, will parole be able to track him through his social security number? Will they look for him? How long will he have?"
It is VERY easy to track people using sophisticated data bases, let alone leaving a trail that any state or Federal agency can find.
CA parole brags about keeping abscond cases open until AFTER death.
5 prison priors mean that they'll probably put a bit of effort into tracking him down.
The most he'd get is a year without conduct credits.

Sounds like time to nicely bug the PO to death. He needs to keep setting up appointments as often as they'll let him. Frequent mail would be a good idea. No harsh words, lots of offers to come by and chat....but the parolee isn't going to do that because he's going to test dirty. If he can't clean up he won't go anywhere near his parole agent.

How about the Salvation Army Adult Residential Program in LA County? There's a big push to deal with the LA homeless population, and the program has a good reputation. I think he can participate for 6 mos., and that gives parole a chance to push paper, and it gives him a chance to be sober enough to be able to keep parole appointments.

Unfortunately, your theory that he gains sobriety if he moves probably isn't going to work out for him. He isn't maintaining sobriety while knowing he could be sent back to prison if he uses, so location probably isn't a very good fix for his problem. It sounds like a residential rehab is a good idea.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:05 PM

To: Gryphon

..ok, he 'corrected me' -- only 4 terms. haha. He got out in March and tested clean both times he was called in, and called his Parole agent and left a voice mail a couple days ago but hasn't gotten a call back-- his PO is on his own time I guess. He's been complying 100% so far. Hard to tell from out here in Chicago but I don't think he's persistent enough, I'm thinking he needs to be more aggressive. But he feels hopeless and gets really down... He's stayed clean before for a couple years at a time. He's got almost 2 weeks clean time right now. I'll look into the Salv Army programs-- I try to do some computer footwork for him, like finding him meetings online, whatever I can do to help. Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by pinkdoll; 05-19-2010 at 03:15 PM..
Old 05-19-2010, 03:14 PM

to: Yourself

Well his last charge was for boosting DVDs. He was charged with Grand Theft on a plea bargain. (They tried to charge him with 2nd degree robbery because he got stopped on the way out of the store and resisted the security guy.) He used to work in a health food store (hourly wage + tips) in LA so he'll be looking for a job like that... hopefully a job that won't do a criminal background check-- would it show that he's absconding? Thanks for your input.

Last edited by pinkdoll; 05-19-2010 at 03:15 PM..