Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in California that do not fit into any other California subforum.

Old 09-03-2003, 09:40 AM

Default California's Govenor

Ok, folks. Many of the families of inmates list servs that I belong to have asked over and over again who we should collectively support for the new govenor of California. I, am in no way endorsing this particular candidate as of yet. However, I found it interesting that we all had so many questions, and nobody was going to the source. So, I wrote to Georgie a couple of weeks ago to find out her opinions about prison issues. I am only passing this out, so that you can be informed as well. I have not made my decision, but I do like the idea of us all supporting one candidate. Wouldn't it be nice, if for once, our voices were heard loud and clear in Sacramento? BTW, I do not mind you all passing this around.
Wendy

Wendy:

I'm sorry it took us so long to get back to you....we've been real busy....

Generally, in response to your question, I think this candidacy may be all your Christmases come at once.

Briefly, if I am elected:

1. We will NOT be overturning the decisions of the parole board, except in cases of extreme difference and those are likely to be cases where we view that the parole board has either been unfair or rote in denying parole.

2. The "Jailers Union" is not in our pocket and will not be invited to even stop by. We will not solicit or accept so much as a single dollar from correctional officers or any law enforcement organizations.

3. We will immediately order the restoration of all visitation rights interrupted by the current administration, including those for "lifers and their families". We would, in addition look into the possibility of extending visitation opportunities throughout the system.

Moreover, our view is that incarceration is for the purpose of "paying ones debt to society" - sounds kind of honorable doesn't it ? We believe that incarceration - confinement - serves as an adequate message to the convicted and serves as sufficient punishment as well; there is no need or provision in the law for extracurricular humiliation and brutality. These people, these men and women, these Californians, are incarcerated - doing time - they didn't melt and they didn't fall into a black hole, they're just doing time and most of those incarerated, it should be noted, are finally returned to society. That fact alone should be a heads up to most of the tough on crime crowd. It should be the goal of the system to keep inmates linked with their families and friends throughout the period of their incarceration and the state should do everything it can to smooth their transition back into society. This adminstration has gone out of it's way to demonize those convicted of crimes, it has scuttled the notion of rehabilitation and has seemingly instituted a policy of dealing unfairly with prisoners and it has done all of that solely to bolster their position as tough on crime.

We do not believe that donations from correctional officers organizations and the like should be allowed in gubernatorial elections. The entire issue of some people in this society having a vested interest in crime has never even been addressed. Investors in private prisons and unions of prison gaurds for example have no interest in an end or even a reduction in crime. We have in place a system where substantial numbers of people not only want crime to continue, they want more of it and towards that end they have brought us Three Strikes. We oppose three strikes and will work toward it's reform.

This campaign above all is about fairness...fairness is our default position whenever issues become murky and it has served us well as a guidepost. We are opposed to the death penalty not only because we believe that human beings are not supposed to kill each other, but because there is an alternative with life witout the possibility of parole(LWOP) However, so long as it remains on the books, the imposition of that sentence must at all costs be fair. The wealthy of this society do not end up on the row, in fact, they are seldom faced with a capital charge. OJ Simpson's is a good case in point. He was never charged with capital murder simply because the prosecution, facing those deep pockets and the defense team they were able to buy, were clear that they would have no chance for a win in that case if they asked for the death penalty. If all defendents were provided werewithal equal to that of the state in any prosecution, it is likely that no one goes to the row and substantially fewer end up behind bars. We support meaningful legal aid for anyone charged with a crime.

The criminal justice system in this state is absolutely bankrupt....from the election of District Attorneys to the election of Governors....anytime money is allowed to play a roll in the crucial decisions that take away the freedom of Californians or worse, take away their lives, fairness is out the window.

If I'm elected, we're going to do all we can to change that. We welcome your support.

No matter the outcome, please stay in touch after the election.

Sincerely,

Georgina Russell
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2003, 11:23 AM

Default Reality check

The "reality" of the choices boil down to 3 men. The others have no money, media buzz or organization. They are trailing in the single digits. In todays debate only 5 out of 135 will participate.

Davis by [no] on recall, but as we all know he has been a real friend to the prison guards at the expense of inmates.

Bustamante: He has the same propensities as Davis. He is out hustling the Indian tribes, just got 3 million total. Once a politician gets a taste for money, he will answer the door for whomever is knocking. The CCPOA will be next at his door.
He will not change anything in Sacramento. Unfortunately the way things are going, he will likely win.

Schwarzenegger: Off to a fast start he may start crashing soon. He is ducking todays debate at 4:00PM (CSPAN, KTLA sponsored by Contra Costa times) and he is ducking others that won't give him the crib notes in advance. With McClintock and Uberoeth not bowing out and in fact attacking him, his prospects are dimming. The republican vote divided by 3 is alot less than the democratic vote divided by 1, especially in a primarily democratic state. All three will politically slit their wrists and die. If the other two republicans drop out and endorse Anold he has a chance, especially when all the crap comes out about Bustamate. Business interests typically come up in support of republicans. Unions come out in support of democrats. The ones that have a grip on inmates are the union of CCPOA. So Arnold would be beholding to his business contributors and not to those who supported his opponents.

Arnold would in the end cut prison funding, which could lead to reduced sentencing. He would have to or face the wrath of voters for cutting the schools which he professes to love.

There are 157,000 prsioners behind bars in the state (give or take). Each one of those prisoners might have 1-4 family members here in California that can vote. Heck lets cut it in half 80,000 hard core Californians. Multiply by 3 family members and you get 240,000 voters for recall and for one candidate. Each puts up signs in their neighborhood. The turn out for this election is only expected to be about 2 million voters. 240,000 voters is almost 25% of the total vote this is HUGE in a close election. There are less than a 100,000 state employees. This would have the effect of crushing the union vote and assuring Davis a pink slip on October 7. All his bad kharma would finally come back to finish him off.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:05 PM
Account Closed

im going for camejo, he sounds better than all 3, if not then arnold i guess. ktc
Old 09-03-2003, 07:52 PM

Just saw the debate today the following are my comments

Davis suxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
good bye gov dont't let the door hit you in your arse..

Cruz on TV supports death penalty period!!!
Suxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ueberroth stupid, stupid businessman
suxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

McClintock maybe in Mississippi not Cali
suxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Camejo, smart, passionate, articulate what a great guy
Thumbs uppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

Arianna she was great!!!! She bashed Davis and Cruz on Prisons and the Prisons guards Union, She was witty and very direct. Got into a catfight with cruise. If she could only win
Of all of them she has the ethical brains to run government.
And Camejo too.
Big fat thumbs UPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Arnold Suxmeister was too busy pinching some ass on cute girls ya to come. They would have torn him two new assholes, giving 4 including himself for not showing.
Suxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old 09-03-2003, 08:15 PM

I, too, watched the recall debate that aired earlier this evening. From the social aspect of our state, I feel Camejo seems the most passionate about bringing forth positive change and justice reform. Presently, I favor Camejo...but I'm still waiting to hear back from his campaign office before I make any final decisions! Urg...California is a mess!
Old 09-03-2003, 08:37 PM
Donation Award 

I watched the recall debate also, I liked what Camejo and Huffington had to say.I thought I wanted Arnold,now I've changed my mind.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:25 PM

The "reality" of the choices boil down to 3 men. The others have no money, media buzz or organization. They are trailing in the single digits.

I agree with boomslang on this.

If we want to get Davis out of office and do NOT want Bustamante as his replacement, we need to vote for Arnold. He is our ONLY choice as of now. I want to vote for Huffington but c'mon guys ... does she REALLY have a chance?

WE CAN'T WASTE OUR VOTES!
Old 09-04-2003, 01:19 PM

ggirl said:

"I want to vote for Huffington but c'mon guys ... does she REALLY have a chance?

WE CAN'T WASTE OUR VOTES!"

No she doesn't Unless something catastrophic happens to Arnold which is likely (doing the nasty, rascist remarks, drugs)
or Bustamante who is a weasel by trade (weasels have secrets). If they voted for McClintock or Ueberroth, voters would have to sodomized a drunken homeless guy in order to get the taste out of their mouth, not likely.

I would give a mom a chance to run government she has the fewest skeletons and the most practical solutions. She also has a degree in economics from Cambridge University a tough school. Economics is the problems Cali is facing.
Arnold has a degree (correspondence course) from U of Wisconsin in Bizness. Cali is not a business at least it's not suppose to be

What we can do for Arianna is email complaining about lack of coverage for her to KTLA and other outlets including LA times. She is legit the others are gay.

In the end if she doesn't come up in the polls I will prolly vote for Ahhnold just to put the demorats on notice.
He will cut the car tax this will acelerate release.

Then I will go look for a drunken homeless guy...
Old 09-04-2003, 07:07 PM

I think if we all pull together and vote either Arianna or Comejo, we'll at least give them something to think about when we go back to the polls in three years. I agree that it is more than likely going to go to Bustamante or Arnold, but I do not consider my vote "wasted" when it goes for the things I believe in like "no" on the death penalty and "yes" on the get rid of the Three Strikes Law. If they are going to win, then they are going to win, but my vote will count where I want it to count, not where they think they can force me to go just because they may win. It's still my vote and not theirs. Both Arianna and Comejo are on pretty much the same page for these two areas and since they are the closest to my heart, so there will my vote go. I've already e-mailed Arnold's campaign to let them know that they will not be getting my vote, due to their views on these two subjects. More than likely I will go with Arianna.
I Chronicals 9:33 - These are the singers, heads of the fathers' houses of the Levites, dwelling in the temple chambers, free from any other service because they were on duty day and night.
Old 09-04-2003, 08:29 PM

Well if there is a chance for Arianna, then I will vote for her. However what I was trying to say is that from what I've seen in the polls (who knows how accurate they are), it's pretty close between Cruz and Arnold. Now if we don't want Cruz in, then ........ But I see that some don't see it that way.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:44 PM

Default Da Debate

I posted this at another forum I chill at more of a whimsical view.

In alphabetical order (the kings alphabet not California's)

Bustamante: "I was with the indians when they didn't have a TeePee to Pee Pee" to paraphrase "So now they can shower me with lotsa wappam to level the playing field against the rich evil white men" to paraphrase again

Camejo: Very excitable and passionate. He's right about taxes especially with property taxes on properties that don't turn over due to cleaver trusts. He was there to remind us about what we already know "The rich get richer and the poor get deported or thrown in jail"

Davis: If we had made him clock in and out, we would have seen that he was pretty much asleep at the wheel or busy fund raising. Good riddance.

Huffingon: She's shrill at times and annoying but she slams these assholes off their high horse. I particularly like the "bribe" jibe at Bustamante, what a scumbag. IF people loved Cruz so much $10.00 contributions x 1 million looks much more respectable than millions from injuns. She is an economist with a degree from Cambridge. It seems to me that Cali is having "economical" problems and her skilsets may be more in keeping with the job description. She also has a sharp analytical mind. Does she have a chance...heck no. Thats whay we are so f*cked...

McClintock: If Bush had a pustulant zit that he had to squeeze and it had to land somewhere and take human form, it would be Tom McClintock. This guy is anti-gay, anti-abortion,anti-Mexican,anti-environment,pro-ten commandments, pro-death except in the life of a fetus,pro medical marijuana hmm wait a minute maybe he ain't that bad.......Naw on second thought f*ck him

Uebersloth: Herrr mumble Jobs, Jobs, no money, cut , no money, Jobs, waste, no money herrrr, mumble Jobs, no money, eeeek Mexicans no money, jobs.......

AWOL:

Arnold "the eggboy" Schwarzenwaffen ehhh he was a little to preoccupied to be taken apart in this debate. He had to do some promo's I mean interviews with some of his adoring fan media. "California budgets are too fat Ya I as Californias personal trainer will burn the fat with my magic calisthenics. My total lack of fear in f*cking a woman in front of other men greatly prepares me for the challenges ahead ya." "Pose any question to me and I will pose right back" I'm am excellent ya.

We are so f*cked....
Old 09-05-2003, 08:47 AM

I used to think my vote was wasted when I voted for somebody who 'couldn't win'. But I have to live with myself everyday, and I want to go to bed with a clear conciouse.

The problem with the electoral college (amongst other things) is that it makes the US a representative democracy and not a TRUE democracy.

The good thing about this recall (besides getting rid of the CO's best friend), is that we get maybe our only chance EVER to vote as a true demoracy should be. Each individual vote counts! Therefore, I am going to vote for the person who best represents ALL of my values...not that one person can do that, but....

I want someone who is anti-death penalty, anti-3 strikes, pro-family visiting, pro-rehabilitation, pro-human rights! Everybody's rights are important to me.

BTW...the "imjun" remarks are very offensive and as a person who is indigenous to this land, I don't care for that mess. However, I respect everyone's opinion, but I think we should think before we "speak". That's very disrespecful, although, I'm sure no disrespect was intended.

Folks, Arnold is NOT good for our state. He is a right-winged conservative who will make our loved one's lives even worse. Please think twice before voting into office a person who makes racist remarks (he must suffer from internalized racism himself, since he is not from here). Sad!

Wendy
Old 09-05-2003, 12:40 PM

"BTW...the "imjun" remarks are very offensive and as a person who is indigenous to this land, I don't care for that mess. However, I respect everyone's opinion, but I think we should think before we "speak". That's very disrespecful, although, I'm sure no disrespect was intended"

No disrespect was intended it was my feeble attemt to rhyme millions with injuns. Also in the debate there was a low level tenor of racism coming from McClintock and Ueberroth vis-a-vis using the illegal vs undocumented immigrants expression.
Lets keep the mex's out of our land. Curiously tho our land has Cities named San Bernadino, Los Angeles, San Clamente,
San Diego, San Francisco and other white names. How quickly history is reinvented.

I hope that the native people get control and expand their gaming operations and create many Vegas like resorts in Cali.
Eventually they may buy Cali back from the whites and make it a better place for all

BTW I am 1/2 native, family been here for 3,000 years.....
Old 09-05-2003, 12:41 PM
Account Closed

after much thought and some study i am voting NO on the recall.......
Old 09-05-2003, 12:52 PM

I'm still down for Georgie! She actually took the time to write me back and I liked what she said...if I don't vote for her, I'm voting "NO" on the recall as well.
Old 09-05-2003, 08:57 PM
LOVE NEVER FAILS

Well fokes it is Huffington, and did you know that one out of four people in Ca have a loved one in prison or know one that is. so look at it this way with all these people with loved ones in prison She could win. So everyone must get the word out to all they know and every prison group on the net and not. Do not give up

He is my true love
Old 09-06-2003, 04:04 PM

Voting NO on recall means voting yes for Davis.

Davis is the current governor of California.

He's the guy in the back pocket of the prison guards union.

When the guards unions wants a new law or rules change they go to the governor AND the legislators that they have BOUGHT!!!

When shit happens about packages, about restitution it comes from the guards union to Davis to Legislators.

VOTE NO ON THE RECALL IS A VOTE YES FOR 3 MORE YEARS OF DAVIS AND THE CCPOA THE UNION.

So if you like the way the CDC and the guards union treats your love ones in prison then by all means vote no on recall.

Just don't complain here when. they cut off visits packages and whateve else they decide to do.
Old 09-08-2003, 05:15 AM

Just thought I would share this....I've been debating who to vote for governor but this is what I found posted on Families to Amend California's 3-Strikes website.
Check it out at www.facts1.com

Recent 3-Strikes News

September: Recall Election News
In the Governor Recall Election, Arnold Shwarzenegger--the leading Republican in the polls--has stated that he supports the Three Strikes law and that it should not be modified. www.joinarnold.com

Governor Davis--wondering why liberals have turned against him--also supports the Three Strikes law and vetoed a bill that would have merely studied the issue. Click here for more details.

Peter Camejo of the Green Party and Arianna Huffington an Independent have both said that they support amending the Three Strikes law.
Old 09-08-2003, 08:47 AM

I think no matter how we vote, for it is TRULY a personal decision, there is always room for debate...complaining anywhere about who gets into office (like we are about Davis), is healthy, and I welcome anyone to "complain" anywhere they want to. It means that we are half-way intelligent human beings who want to discuss issues. I appreciate everyone's voices, even if, I don't agree with them. So, thanks, all for this great discussion we have going on here.
Wendy
Old 09-15-2003, 11:52 AM
PRAY on 13th of Month

Well, Well Well,

9th Circus Court just BLocks Recall Election!

YES, they are known as the CIRCUS COURT!

UGH!
Old 09-15-2003, 11:18 PM

you're right on boomslang. arnoold has a few degrees of his own; street talk is he doesn't want the governors manson, his place in santa monica will do just fine. all he wants out of this folly is a good session in public speaking so that he may one day speak english. arianna is a babe and she's got the smarts and spunk.
Old 09-16-2003, 06:29 AM
LOVE NEVER FAILS

herd that bustamante is for changeing the three strikes law so here we go agian

He is my true love