Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > CDCR - What You Need to Know > California Prison Visitation - General Q&A
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Prison Visitation - General Q&A This forum is for general, nonspecific questions & discussions related to visitation in California facilities. If you have a question about or want to discuss visitation in a specific facility, please visit that facility's subforum in the California forum.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:48 PM
Banned

Exclamation All questions/concerns and comments on the New Vpass Program

From Life Support Alliance July Newsletter - LSA is run by two former members of the Statewide IFC.

Visitor Processing Appointment Scheduling System (VPASS), is "the latest application being developed by CDCR. This online application will allow the department to offer tools to the public to enhance their visiting experience," according to CDCR’s informational handout. This new, statewide
online appointment system will replace any and all online appointment processes now in place at many individual institutions (and often working well).

Although many institutions have implemented visiting appointment systems and several allow on-line appointment access, not every prison in the state has embraced visiting by appointment and many, especially those several prisons in the most remote, out-of-the-way locations, who do not experience the same numbers of visitors as other locations in only slightly-off-the-beaten-path spots, do not require appointments for mainline visiting at all. For those prisons with an existing on-line presence, the simple systems seem to work well.
VPASS, once operational, will be accessed not through email, but via the CDCR website. The department plans to include an "Institutional Banner Message" on the site, to provide up-to-date information on visiting status at the prison. Once on the VPASS page on the CDCR website visitor-hopefuls will be directed through a series of 7 pages or drop-down menus to (hopefully)make an appointment.

In a shameless bit of self-promotion, the handout claims that following a test at Old Folsom "the visiting public heaped praise upon Folsom State Prison for implementing this system." It also claims walk-ins to visiting were decreased "to almost zero in a matter of weeks." The new system will not be universally the same, ceding to individual institutions how far in advance appointments can be set, what times will be held for appointments and how many appointments will be set within each time slot. CDCR does note, however, "[w]hile we are encouraging visitors to use this new online appointment system, CDCR will continue to ensure the current phone appointments and walk-in systems are in place."

Originally slated to roll out at the end of May to coincide with the use of the SOMS computer program for visiting, VPASS was postponed and is now said to be ready to go live statewide in September. Stay tuned.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2012, 05:49 PM
Banned

You can preview the new system here...

www.visitorreservations.cdcr.ca.gov
Old 08-19-2012, 11:01 AM

when is it suppose to take effect for all prisons?
Old 08-19-2012, 11:06 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,958 Times in 2,167 Posts

Seven pages for each visit is better?
I think the e-mail system was fine.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:55 PM

LMAO! Terms and Conditions below! This is what people have to agree to make an appt. for contact visits? It actually says the inmates info may not be correct and it doesn't guarantee you get to see the inmate and CDCR cannot be held responsible! Wow CDCR never cease to amaze me with reaching new lows.

This inmate visitor registration system is provided by the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR) as a public service to assist inmate visitors. The website is intended to allow families to reserve a spot to visit an inmate, but,*The reservation does not constitute, and should not be relied upon as, an official guarantee that the visitor will be able to see the inmate. *The chosen reservation time is the time when visitor processing will begin.**All visitors must be pre-approved before setting up a reservation and the visitor must verify that he/she is eligible to see the inmate.

The website does not guarantee that the information regarding the inmate is correct. *Therefore, all visitors must independently verify that the inmate is currently located at the prison and is available to accept visitors before making the reservation.**This reservation system is only for "Contact Visits". *For definition - check guidelines. *Finally, the status of the inmate will be verified at the time of visiting because ultimately the prison may be on lockdown or the inmate is for some other reason unable to see visitors.

CDCR, the State of California, or any elected officials, officers, agents, or employees shall not be held responsible for any errors or omissions on this website or as a result of a reservation being inadvertently cancelled or denied in whole. *In addition, they shall not be liable for any damages, of any nature whatsoever, including those arising out of the use of, or the inability to use this reservation service nor shall be liable for any improper or incorrect use of the information contained on this website. The user shall assume all risk and responsibility, and neither the user, nor any third parties acting on behalf of or with the consent of the user, may rely upon any information contained on this website.

Misuse of the information on this website may subject the user to criminal prosecution and/or civil liability. Unauthorized attempts to change the information on this website are strictly prohibited and may be subject to criminal prosecution and/or civil liability.

User agrees to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless CDCR, the State of California, as well as their elected officials, officers, agents, or employees from and against all claims, damages, and expenses, including the cost of and attorneys fees arising out of the use of this site by user, whether caused by negligence or otherwise. *Construction of the provisions of this disclaimer and resolution of any disputes related to this website on the information contained herein are governed by the laws of the State of California and shall be filed in Sacramento County.

I have read the disclaimer and agree to all of these terms and conditions.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mrsgonzos For This Useful Post:
aradia (08-26-2012), CTisMe (08-29-2012), God's Grace (08-20-2012), KidzMom (08-20-2012), ViVstaR (09-19-2012)
Old 08-20-2012, 05:28 PM

The link doesn't work for me :-/
Old 08-20-2012, 09:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell-rah View Post
when is it suppose to take effect for all prisons?
They will probably put a couple institutions on-line at a time....phasing all of them in eventually.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:29 PM
taking a break

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiaBaby88 View Post
The link doesn't work for me :-/
Try the link I posted on this thread a few weeks ago

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=610816
Old 08-29-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsgonzos View Post
LMAO! Terms and Conditions below! This is what people have to agree to make an appt. for contact visits? It actually says the inmates info may not be correct and it doesn't guarantee you get to see the inmate and CDCR cannot be held responsible! Wow CDCR never cease to amaze me with reaching new lows.

This inmate visitor registration system is provided by the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation (CDCR) as a public service to assist inmate visitors. The website is intended to allow families to reserve a spot to visit an inmate, but,*The reservation does not constitute, and should not be relied upon as, an official guarantee that the visitor will be able to see the inmate. *The chosen reservation time is the time when visitor processing will begin.**All visitors must be pre-approved before setting up a reservation and the visitor must verify that he/she is eligible to see the inmate.

The website does not guarantee that the information regarding the inmate is correct. *Therefore, all visitors must independently verify that the inmate is currently located at the prison and is available to accept visitors before making the reservation.**This reservation system is only for "Contact Visits". *For definition - check guidelines. *Finally, the status of the inmate will be verified at the time of visiting because ultimately the prison may be on lockdown or the inmate is for some other reason unable to see visitors.

CDCR, the State of California, or any elected officials, officers, agents, or employees shall not be held responsible for any errors or omissions on this website or as a result of a reservation being inadvertently cancelled or denied in whole. *In addition, they shall not be liable for any damages, of any nature whatsoever, including those arising out of the use of, or the inability to use this reservation service nor shall be liable for any improper or incorrect use of the information contained on this website. The user shall assume all risk and responsibility, and neither the user, nor any third parties acting on behalf of or with the consent of the user, may rely upon any information contained on this website.

Misuse of the information on this website may subject the user to criminal prosecution and/or civil liability. Unauthorized attempts to change the information on this website are strictly prohibited and may be subject to criminal prosecution and/or civil liability.

User agrees to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless CDCR, the State of California, as well as their elected officials, officers, agents, or employees from and against all claims, damages, and expenses, including the cost of and attorneys fees arising out of the use of this site by user, whether caused by negligence or otherwise. *Construction of the provisions of this disclaimer and resolution of any disputes related to this website on the information contained herein are governed by the laws of the State of California and shall be filed in Sacramento County.

I have read the disclaimer and agree to all of these terms and conditions.

THIS MY FRIEND IS A BUNCH OF BUSH SH$+!
Old 08-29-2012, 09:41 PM

Thanked 2,278 Times in 1,619 Posts

so is it just an appointment to process but you can stay for the entire tie like normal? and if so would it then be that multiple people can share times to process in? its rather confusing to me.
Old 09-09-2012, 09:28 PM
Banned

Default Vpass visiting system soon to roll out at 9 prisons

FROM LSA:

The new visiting appointment system, Visitor Processing Appointment Scheduling System (VPASS), discussed in last month’s Lifer-Line, is slated to begin operation the last weekend of September in nine prisons. These 9 institutions will constitute the first wave of what CDC hopes will be an easier, more organized and manageable visitor process that will eventually be implemented in all institutions.

The first nine are: California Institute for Men (Chino); San Quentin; Pleasant Valley State Prison (Coalinga); Solano; Lancaster; Kern Valley State Prison (Delano); Correctional Training Facility (Soledad) and Ironwood State Prison (Blythe).
Once operational visitors will make visiting appointments at prisons via the CDCR’s website using the VPASS tab and following prompts through a series of menus. The system is also expected to provide up to date visiting information on each institution, such as modified lockdowns and visiting restrictions.

Although CDCR is "encouraging" visitors to make appointments via VPASS, appointments may still be made by telephone and those not making appointments will still be able to access visiting as ‘walk-ons,’ which will be admitted after those with appointments. Each prison will also be allowed a certain amount of local leeway in vesting hours, how far in advance appointments should be made and how many appointments can be made within a given time frame.

Hopefully, all institutions will post the new perimeters of the VPASS system for visitors in advance of the system going live at their institution. CDCR’s eventual goal is to have all institutions adopt the visit-by-appointment practices. It may, however, be prudent for visitors at various institutions to query the visiting staff as to when VPASS will become effective at their institution and how they can learn more about the process.

Last edited by God's Grace; 09-09-2012 at 09:29 PM..
Old 09-10-2012, 12:29 AM

Thanks for posting that. I am concerned that I will miss out on visits if/when this happens at our location because I have a small window of time to process and get to the visiting room. If im late I miss count and then I cant visit until its all clear and they do that around 12:30, if im early they could get mad because I will have to wait until he arrives from his morning obligations. So I time my entry to the visitor room within a half hour slot. making an appointment may mean that I cant get the time I need.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:35 PM

Default Vpass

There are almost ZERO walkins because since January when I began visiting I was told that walkins were not allowed. Then months into visiting I spoke to the visiting sgt. and mentioned how unfair and nerve wracking the Old Folsom visiting appointment site was. I asked if I could just drive up and visit after a certain hour and he said NO. So as far as being able to call in a visit that's been unheard of as far I know. First you'd have to get someone to answer the visiting phone and I've been told they don't make phone appointments. I just got used to this 12:01 appointment setting thing and now they are going to change it again. No word as to making two days worth of appointments. I drive far and every once in a while I'd like to make an appointment for both days. Anyone have information on how that'll play out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by God's Grace View Post
From Life Support Alliance July Newsletter - LSA is run by two former members of the Statewide IFC.

Visitor Processing Appointment Scheduling System (VPASS), is "the latest application being developed by CDCR. This online application will allow the department to offer tools to the public to enhance their visiting experience," according to CDCR’s informational handout. This new, statewide online appointment system will replace any and all online appointment processes now in place at many individual institutions (and often working well).

Although many institutions have implemented visiting appointment systems and several allow on-line appointment access, not every prison in the state has embraced visiting by appointment and many, especially those several prisons in the most remote, out-of-the-way locations, who do not experience the same numbers of visitors as other locations in only slightly-off-the-beaten-path spots, do not require appointments for mainline visiting at all. For those prisons with an existing on-line presence, the simple systems seem to work well.
VPASS, once operational, will be accessed not through email, but via the CDCR website. The department plans to include an "Institutional Banner Message" on the site, to provide up-to-date information on visiting status at the prison. Once on the VPASS page on the CDCR website visitor-hopefuls will be directed through a series of 7 pages or drop-down menus to (hopefully)make an appointment.

In a shameless bit of self-promotion, the handout claims that following a test at Old Folsom "the visiting public heaped praise upon Folsom State Prison for implementing this system." It also claims walk-ins to visiting were decreased "to almost zero in a matter of weeks." The new system will not be universally the same, ceding to individual institutions how far in advance appointments can be set, what times will be held for appointments and how many appointments will be set within each time slot. CDCR does note, however, "[w]hile we are encouraging visitors to use this new online appointment system, CDCR will continue to ensure the current phone appointments and walk-in systems are in place."

Originally slated to roll out at the end of May to coincide with the use of the SOMS computer program for visiting, VPASS was postponed and is now said to be ready to go live statewide in September. Stay tuned.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:28 AM

I dont think our place is getting vpass.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:43 PM
Holdin' on for dear life
Donation Award 

Default V-Pass appointment while on "orientation" status?

Do they have contact visits right away now if they've just been transferred from reception?

I remember in the old days you had to wait a few weeks or a month.

I just made a V-Pass appointment to see my man at CTF, but I can't tell if this is going to be a contact or non-contact visit and if I should bring money for food!

Any help appreciated. I'll also be using V-Pass to visit a friend at PVSP later in the month.

Also if anyone knows how early I should get there? (I've visited CTF before and getting in was a zoo!)

Let's give 'em something to talk about!

Old 10-03-2012, 02:45 PM

Thanked 1,865 Times in 1,071 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
Do they have contact visits right away now if they've just been transferred from reception?

I remember in the old days you had to wait a few weeks or a month.

I just made a V-Pass appointment to see my man at CTF, but I can't tell if this is going to be a contact or non-contact visit and if I should bring money for food!

Any help appreciated. I'll also be using V-Pass to visit a friend at PVSP later in the month.

Also if anyone knows how early I should get there? (I've visited CTF before and getting in was a zoo!)
Orientation is one hour behind the glass until he is classified. It usually takes about 2 weeks. You might want to call the prison. To my understand Vpass is only for contact visits. I'm in AD Seg and still have to call..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to traviesita For This Useful Post:
ALWAYS HERE 4 M (10-03-2012), qwerty (10-04-2012), sidewalker (10-06-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 06:16 PM

My LO is in Ad Seg and I was told that VPASS is for contact visits only
The Following User Says Thank You to calicat25 For This Useful Post:
qwerty (10-04-2012)
Old 10-04-2012, 12:37 AM
Holdin' on for dear life
Donation Award 

Thanks for the info! Since I was able to make the VPASS appointment, I guess I'll just go there Saturday and find out if they let me in!

Will keep you all posted.

Old 10-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Holdin' on for dear life
Donation Award 

UPDATE: The prison staff called me (twice) to tell me he can't visit this weekend because his yard rotates every other weekend.

But they were super nice and courteous about it and were concerned about me making the trip for nothing, which I thought was very cool!

I already have appointments for the weekend after, so I'm liking the VPASS system very much.

Visiting staff (at CTF) even asked me to send feedback on how it works next week to make sure it's running smoothly.

The Following User Says Thank You to qwerty For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (10-06-2012)
Old 10-06-2012, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwerty View Post
UPDATE: The prison staff called me (twice) to tell me he can't visit this weekend because his yard rotates every other weekend.

But they were super nice and courteous about it and were concerned about me making the trip for nothing, which I thought was very cool!

I already have appointments for the weekend after, so I'm liking the VPASS system very much.

Visiting staff (at CTF) even asked me to send feedback on how it works next week to make sure it's running smoothly.
Wow...that was great they called you maybe this system will work out. Question how were you able to get an appts for the following week already? I tried and it only listed this weekend.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:40 PM
Holdin' on for dear life
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicat25 View Post
Wow...that was great they called you maybe this system will work out. Question how were you able to get an appts for the following week already? I tried and it only listed this weekend.
CTF-Soledad has both weekends listed (maybe it's because North yard only gets visits every other weekend).

But you are right, when I tried to make an appointment to see a friend at another prison (PVSP), it only showed this weekend.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachhouse View Post
I dont think our place is getting vpass.
Here is some vpass info that may be helpful.

VPASS is only available at the following 10 institutions which have been carefully selected as pilots before the program goes statewide: California Institution for Men, California State Prison, San Quentin, Pleasant Valley State Prison, California State Prison, Solano, California State Prison, Los Angeles County, California Men’s Colony, Folsom State Prison, Kern Valley State Prison, Correctional Training Facility, and Ironwood State Prison.

On October 1, 2012, at 7:00 a.m., the system is available to make appointments for the weekend of October 6th.

http://visitorreservations.cdcr.ca.gov/
Old 10-07-2012, 02:39 PM

Thanked 1,111 Times in 527 Posts
Default VPass Registration

Thanks, but I tried to register several times and nothing happened. It just kept directing me back to the page where you have to Accept the disclaimer. Is there something I'm missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4cali73 View Post

VPASS is only available at the following 10 institutions which have been carefully selected as pilots before the program goes statewide: California Institution for Men, California State Prison, San Quentin, Pleasant Valley State Prison, California State Prison, Solano, California State Prison, Los Angeles County, California Men’s Colony, Folsom State Prison, Kern Valley State Prison, Correctional Training Facility, and Ironwood State Prison.

On October 1, 2012, at 7:00 a.m., the system is available to make appointments for the weekend of October 6th.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie8899 View Post
Thanks, but I tried to register several times and nothing happened. It just kept directing me back to the page where you have to Accept the disclaimer. Is there something I'm missing?
Have you registered already to use Vpass?

After you accept the disclaimer it should open for you to create an appointment. There was system maintenance this weekend..but it should give notice for you the reason you cant register. Appts for next weekend dont start again until Monday.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4cali73 View Post

Thanks, I asked the IFC for my guys yard and she said we are not doing it as of now because every time they brought it up the ifc said no, that e didnt want it. So for now we wont be getting it. whew!

How did it work once there, was there still a pass with a number issued etc?