Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TENNESSEE > The Volunteer State Lounge
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

The Volunteer State Lounge The Tennessee forum's lounge... general chit-chat and things unrelated to the Tennessee prison system go here!

Old 11-29-2016, 02:41 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 26,459 Times in 12,403 Posts
Default 3 people dead, hundreds of buildings, homes destroyed by wildfire

3 people dead, hundreds of buildings and homes destroyed by raging wildfire in Gatlinburg

GATLINBURG, Tenn. (AP) - Three people have died in wildfires that have raged though Gatlinburg, Tenn., over the last 24 hours.
Wildfires fueled by high winds roared through parts of the Great Smoky Mountains, burning the doorstep of the Dollywood theme park, destroying a resort and chasing thousands of people from their homes.
National Guard troops arrived Tuesday to help overwhelmed firefighters, and Mother Nature provided a little relief as the winds calmed and rain fell in some areas. Forecasters said it would not be enough to end the relentless drought that has spread across the South and set the stage over the past few weeks for wildfires in Tennessee, Georgia and North Carolina.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/33810484/3...-in-gatlinburg

I've visited there, spent 5 days in a cabin in the mountains with several friends. My heart is breaking for all those affected, and condolences to the family & friends of those that didn't make it out

I can't find any info on prisons/jails affected...if anyone has any info, please post.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2016, 02:51 PM
Owned

Thanked 2,483 Times in 1,229 Posts

I have been following this and it really IS heartbreaking.

Arson is suspected and since it is a National Park the person that caused it will be looking at serious federal time. Arson is a violent offense too so no camp. I really, really hope it isn't arson - the fire is bad enough, but the thought of it being started on purpose is too much to think about.

Last edited by safran; 11-29-2016 at 03:03 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to safran For This Useful Post:
patchouli (11-29-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 02:52 PM
Lil British Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 4,606 Times in 2,121 Posts

That is terrible news so sad that lives have been lost and homes destroyed. Sending prayers for those that lost their families and friends and my brother and sister firefighters.

Who cares what they say about us? Because when I am with you I am standing with an army

Last edited by maytayah; 11-29-2016 at 03:48 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to maytayah For This Useful Post:
patchouli (11-29-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 04:41 PM

So very sad, I had not heard of the deaths until now.

The Following User Says Thank You to sprits For This Useful Post:
patchouli (11-29-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 05:56 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,380 Times in 972 Posts

The only thing I can find on the DOC website is that home visits for parole are suspended
https://www.tn.gov/correction/news/t...sits-suspended

"
There is no question that in virtually all circumstances in which people are doing things in order to get rewards, extrinsic tangible rewards undermine intrinsic motivation." the New Scientist (12th April 2011, pp 40-43)

" Every life you touch, every fear or pain you ease, every loved ones' heart that you ease the burden from is the reason you are here."
The Following User Says Thank You to jadah For This Useful Post:
patchouli (11-29-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 06:02 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 26,459 Times in 12,403 Posts

I looked at the TN DOC page too....there doesn't seem to be a prison too near that county, so I'm guessing just the local jail could have been affected though i don't know if it has.