Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Michigan General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Michigan that do not fit into any other Michigan sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 09-27-2006, 09:48 AM
One day at a time
Donation Award 

Default Support Groups for Children of the Incarcerated

I just wanted to share some information that I came across in looking for resources available to children of the incarcerated. I spoke with a man named Henry Wells first..I got his name and number from a website that referenced "Bill of Rights for Children of the Incarcerated." He said that his agency has a support group for children in Wayne County. His phone number is 313-875-3883 x 12. He referred me to, since I live in Oakland County to the Oakland Livingsont Human Service Agency, who has an MPRI (Michigan Prison Re-entry Initive) Division. The woman who I spoke with said that they just received a grant in today for a mentoring program for Children of the Incarcerated and they will be working with Catholic Family Services to provide mentors to children with an incarcerated parent. They also have other programs for children and the incarcerated parent (visiting opportunities I believe). She said she will be calling me back, I will provide more information when I find out. The phone number I called was 248-451-1770.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2006, 02:34 PM
Clueless Michigan Member
Donation Award 

Thank you for the great info!! I know when I was doing my internship The Child and Parent Center in Jackson was doing some type of support groups for children with incarcerated parents. I don't know if they are still doing it or not. I was looking for information on college grants for kids who's parents are incarcerated because my guy's daughter wants to go to college.

Last edited by Lions Heart; 09-27-2006 at 02:35 PM..
Old 09-27-2006, 06:38 PM

Good to hear there are programs like this. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:02 PM
Yooper Mod on Leave
Donation Award 

Thanks for sharing this... I know there's a camp for kids of the incarcerated in the U.P. every summer as well.. I can't remember who runs it etc.. but I saw a flyer on it last summer as my mom sent it to me...

Deb

September 10th 2009
Old 04-18-2007, 08:42 AM
One day at a time
Donation Award 

Well, 6 months later and I finally got a call! I thought that they had either forgotten about me or it was just another program that was not going to happen. The place that called me was Catholic Social Services (in Pontiac...this program is only for Oakland County) and the program that they are just starting is Children of Promise (only for children with an incarcerated parent). A woman from the program is comming out to my home next Saturday to meet with me and my son and then they will match him with a mentor. She said that they like the mentor to meet with the child once a week and that there are going to be group activities for all the children in this program. I hope it all works out and it is something that will be beneficial for my son!

Last edited by honeymom; 04-18-2007 at 08:47 AM..
Old 04-19-2007, 04:04 PM
Clueless Michigan Member
Donation Award 

that is really cool!!! I hope it all works out and is a positive in you and your son's lives.