Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Pennsylvania that do not fit into any other Pennsylvania sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 10-02-2019, 09:59 AM

Question Pennsylvania Lifers Bill

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone had any updates on the bill for Pennsylvania lifers convicted of first-degree second-degree murder? My husband was convicted of first-degree murder but did not do the actual crime. He wasnt even present at the time of the murder. He has served 15 years of this sentence. If this new bill is passed, I am praying he would be one of the inmates to receive some relief. Does anyone have updates on it? Any progress? Or where can I find current information? Thanks a lot, and hang in there everyone❤️
Old 10-06-2019, 06:34 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,322 Times in 1,276 Posts

SB 942 was the bill last term. It was introduced by Senator Street. It died in the Judiciary Committee, but the Senators I spoke with said they always knew it would. the reasons are political.

HB 135 is the new bill. It adjusts the juvenile life sentences for second degree, which is a necessary first step in reducing the overall scheme. It then grants the Board the power to parole after 20 years and thirty years in different murder scenarios. HB 135 is in the House Judiciary Committee, where it is not expected to survive (for political reasons.) There is some hope that a companion bill will be introduced in the Senate after Winter Recess and it could possibly get some traction.

This information is current. I was briefed on this topic just last week by our legislative team.
fbopnomore (10-06-2019), patchouli (10-07-2019), Shes_A_Ryda (10-07-2019)