Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Wasco State Prison (WSP) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Wasco State Prison (WSP) - California Topics & Discussions specific to Wasco State Prison located in Wasco, California.

Old 04-14-2015, 06:50 PM

Question Wasco State Prison and the courts

i googled wasco state prison's website and got their mailing address, and benjamin's cdc number. Sent off my first letter the other day. he was sentenced to 17 years, but after waiting on hold like forever with the court, they were able to tell me he got 12 years at half time, then additional 5 yrs with half time, plus jail time credits, so i think that means he will be in there for 8.5 years? I read the other posts, i hope he is transferred out of reception soon to another prison, but i also looked at cdrd website about the population in all prisons across california. My friend said when he was in prison once they get to wasco they are all level 3's until they are seen by a counselor and some thing called classification? What is that? And what are points? I was going to move to bakersfield to be closer to wasco but not now seeing how i learned he would be transferred to another prison eventually. Tomorrow on my lunch break i will go to the courthouse and get copies of his court dates. And what happened. I couldn't go due to work. And i am really concerned about our 3 children. Our son suddenly became a loner, not interested in anything, one of our daughters grades went from a 3.8 ave to dropped out of the sky, and our youngest daughter doesn't want to go to school but stay home with a sitter. Is this common? I have alot of trouble sleeping at night now, maybe that is due to my husbands involvement with others that got him where he is right now. Guess i need some support here, and hopefully i can get my children into counseling if thats the way it should be. Thanks , mary
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2015, 07:01 PM
Hancock State Newbie

I'm sorry your going through so much stress. Family counseling works wonders. I know things will get better.
The Following User Says Thank You to bethanieb For This Useful Post:
Benjaminsbaby (04-15-2015)
Old 04-14-2015, 10:16 PM
My ❤ is in Cali Moderator

Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 

Donation Award 

Points are what they use to determine an inmates security designation (ie level 1-4, SHU or AdSeg.) The breakdown is on the CDCr site, but if I remember correctly anything over 60 is a level 4 and with good conduct they are able to reduce 8 points per year when they go to committee.
CDCr kicked him out of the SHU, YAY!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Sammy's Girl For This Useful Post:
Benjaminsbaby (12-11-2016)
Old 04-14-2015, 10:18 PM

Donation Award 

Here is a link explaining the points system: http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/Ombuds/Enteri...ison_FAQs.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sammy's Girl For This Useful Post:
Benjaminsbaby (04-15-2015), ericwillgymnast (05-23-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 07:46 AM

Question Wasco Reception

I read the link that Sammy's girl sent to me, but how do you know what section he is at, at Wasco? I put PO Box 4400, Wasco CA with his CDC number, I hope that is the right one. I know the courthouse here told me yesterday that he got 12 years then 5 more years at half time, which I think would be 8.5 years. Is that right? The total time they gave him is 17 at half. As far as the writing material, what size note pad, and is that prestamped envelopes? The article said something about where his family lives as to where he may be sent after Reception. And what are Level 3 prisons here in CA or are they all the same? I do know my husband has Hep C and he did have some kind of back problem while he was in county jail. This is all confusing to me. I am not going into work today, and our kids are staying home, kind a like a mom & me day. Trying to take their minds off of where Daddy is. Thanks for the info, but more could be helpful.....Mary
Old 04-15-2015, 06:16 PM

Hi you can call the prison at (661)758-8400 and follow the prompts and you want to connect with records and they will ask for his cdc # and will give you his address and housing number. Sending prayers your way.
The Following User Says Thank You to tjwife For This Useful Post:
Benjaminsbaby (12-11-2016)
Old 05-03-2015, 06:25 PM

Unhappy WSP

I have gotten some mail from him. And that makes my kids happy. He did ask about jpay, not sure what that is. I keep asking for a visitation form, but either Ben is waiting to get transferred out or he's being stubborn again I don't know. As far as the mailing of tablets and envelopes go, I sent it in a vanilla bubble wrap thing, and they sent it back so I had to do it all over again. He wants store, but I cant afford it right now. So he will have to wait. We did move, my Lord people are so rude to you when you have a husband in prison. I need to find non judgemental people now. And people who live in SLO county that are close an we can do get togethers. I miss Ben so much, I just hope he realizes that this has been extremely stressful not just for me, but our children too. They are in counseling now, as I am. Its just been very hard to handle a household without him here.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:18 AM

Jpay is money on his books pretty much yeah do not send bubble envelopes -- he should send you the paper now that way you could get approved before he trsnsfered and just useto the visiting process--- and honestly sometimes they are busy with dealing with life inside of prison they forget about ours outside especially with raising kids and working
The Following User Says Thank You to HUEROs_Trompuda For This Useful Post:
Benjaminsbaby (05-07-2015)
Old 05-07-2015, 01:14 PM

Thumbs down WSP

I guess I am going to have to call, because he still hasn't sent a visitors form. And I want to talk to his counselor and see how he is doing, since when he was at County Jail he said his back was hurting really bad. And I have questions about his sentencing. Does anyone know, if he got 12 years with one prison prior, either I am reading this wrong, idk, the court document says half time. Plus credits for being in jail. And what about the fines? Someone told me the time he is serving he wouldn't have to pay fines once he gets out. This is hard. Even though I work for a defense attorney's office, I don't dare ask the attorney in question about anything going on with Ben. They know he got sent to prison, and I just leave it at that. I should be at work, because after his last letter wanting 200.00 on that jpay thing, my word, I just can't afford it. Hate to say it but maybe he should have thought about what he was doing with others, that way when he was home and going to school to become a welder, and helping with the household and the kids, he wouldn't have to ask for money to be sent to a jpay thing. I have taken up yet another job, so I am working full time at one place, and start working at another place as a part time paralegal just to get by. Ben jr. is home today sick, just hope our daughters don't get it nor it. Feeling annoyed over the prison thing. Mary
Old 05-09-2015, 02:40 PM

If he has fines he will owe restitution which means if you put money on his books they will take half of what you put and pay that towards what he owes and another 5% for fees--- until his restitution is paid I. Full--and 200 bucks on Jpay is a lot especially in reception. They aren't allowedto spend that much at one time anyways and they go once a month to commissary- - don't know why he needs so much - if he was mainline that's different
Old 05-09-2015, 06:31 PM

When my son was in Wasco it took him a few weeks just to find a visitation form and then by the time I filled it out and sent it in and waited over a month for them to process it he was transferred and had to start all over again at the home prison . So don't stress to much. Just try to write and learn all you can here . It will all settle down as soon as he gets assigned his home prison you will all get into a routine. Glad to here you got the kids and yourself into counseling
Old 05-12-2015, 06:33 PM

Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjaminsbaby View Post
I guess I am going to have to call, because he still hasn't sent a visitors form. And I want to talk to his counselor and see how he is doing, since when he was at County Jail he said his back was hurting really bad. And I have questions about his sentencing. Does anyone know, if he got 12 years with one prison prior, either I am reading this wrong, idk, the court document says half time. Plus credits for being in jail. And what about the fines? Someone told me the time he is serving he wouldn't have to pay fines once he gets out. This is hard. Even though I work for a defense attorney's office, I don't dare ask the attorney in question about anything going on with Ben. They know he got sent to prison, and I just leave it at that. I should be at work, because after his last letter wanting 200.00 on that jpay thing, my word, I just can't afford it. Hate to say it but maybe he should have thought about what he was doing with others, that way when he was home and going to school to become a welder, and helping with the household and the kids, he wouldn't have to ask for money to be sent to a jpay thing. I have taken up yet another job, so I am working full time at one place, and start working at another place as a part time paralegal just to get by. Ben jr. is home today sick, just hope our daughters don't get it nor it. Feeling annoyed over the prison thing. Mary
I can't answer your other questions, but I do know in California the visiting form needs to be signed by your husband first.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sammy's Girl For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (02-11-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 12:13 PM
Donation Award 

Default Visitor Forms At Wasco - Phone Calls and Visits?

I thought that the inmate had to send it to the person, and not the other way around ? Can I pull one from the Wasco Website and send it to him before he gets transferred. I also heard visits and phone calls not allowed.

Is there an update on this?
Old 02-05-2016, 05:39 PM

Visits are discouraged, through glass , and only by appointment and arranged. They discourage anyone in reception from having visits unless it is a critical situation.

Phone calls and packages are are also not allowed. Ive sent stamped envelopes and paper but nothing else. Once they've met with their counselor the restitution deduction kicks in on the cash they have and get for buying things inside. Books from a distributor like amazon are 2/day. to total 5 in his possession at anyone time. On how many they can have they say 5 but they seem flexible.That could change based on... the weather, anything really.

The time they stay can rarely be as short as 6 weeks or as long as 6 months. It depends on where they're going to go and what bed availability, transportation,whim, mood, and how the coordinator felt about the report his child got at school the day before. In others words, although emptying beds out means faster transfers, there are still a lot of variables. Too many to predict past

Its all about the waiting game . but this too will pass ( I tell myself)

Hope that helps
AM
Old 02-05-2016, 10:10 PM

Just an FYI. Not all inmates need appointments and it's actually the reverse they encourage visits and mail. It keeps the inmates in better moods and keeps them from acting out as they can lose those privileges.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:54 PM

Quote:
curiousbee Just an FYI. Not all inmates need appointments and it's actually the reverse they encourage visits and mail. It keeps the inmates in better moods and keeps them from acting out as they can lose those privileges
Thats good to hear . I know the " mainliners" at Wasco have the standard DdCR visiting, mail, package and phone opportunity - rules. So far my son has not been allowed to see us or call us since he arrived there for reception in Nov of 2015. Perhaps I was misinformed. I will follow up with them.

Thank you !, AM
Old 02-10-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherMother View Post
Thats good to hear . I know the " mainliners" at Wasco have the standard DdCR visiting, mail, package and phone opportunity - rules. So far my son has not been allowed to see us or call us since he arrived there for reception in Nov of 2015. Perhaps I was misinformed. I will follow up with them.

Thank you !, AM
Once you are approved to visit you can visit every weekend. Family interaction actually gives them points towards their classification and can lower his security level if he has enough points. In reception there is no phone calls until they are mainlined. If you ever need to get information to your son quicker than a letter I suggest a postcard. Those are not inspected and they go thru quickly. Reception can be anywhere from 3 months to 6 months, some as long as 1 year but those are rare and far and few in between.