Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > WISCONSIN > Wisconsin General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Wisconsin General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Wisconsin that do not fit into any other Wisconsin sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 12-03-2017, 02:03 PM

Question Can he wear his Wedding Ring when transferred to prison?

My hubby will be leaving for Dodge anytime now. He was sentenced on the 30th to 2 years, has 6 months credit and was approved by judge for ERP. Do you know if he can,wear his wedding band? Or is it a concern of theft and other wise!? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2017, 04:21 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,873 Times in 16,522 Posts

I'm not familiar with Wisconsin, but usually, yes, they can wear their wedding ring

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 12-03-2017, 05:30 PM

Thanked 3,876 Times in 1,194 Posts

Some prisons won’t allow a ring with stones.. but a plain band should be ok just about anywhere.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:59 PM

Yes, he can wear his wedding band. It has to be a plain band with no stones. Some facilities state that it can not be valued at any more than $75. If his wedding band is exceptionally valuable, i would suggest he not wear it or perhaps you can purchase a less expensive band for him to wear while he is incarcerated.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:06 AM
attorney

Thanked 21,954 Times in 7,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcloser View Post
Yes, he can wear his wedding band. It has to be a plain band with no stones. Some facilities state that it can not be valued at any more than $75. If his wedding band is exceptionally valuable, i would suggest he not wear it or perhaps you can purchase a less expensive band for him to wear while he is incarcerated.
Best practice:
1. Trust the wedding band to somebody at home
2. Wear a cheap wedding band in prison (not so cheap as to turn the skin green, but something that nobody can take a liking to - inexpensive, plain)
3. When he comes out, let him reclaim his original wedding band. You can put conditions on getting it back, like a really swanky date night or whatever
4. When he comes out, he disposes of the cheap wedding band in an agreed way - throw it into the Fox River, melt it down and have something made for you as the jailer of his heart, pawn or sell it to pay for a swanky date night or whatever.

My brother has spent quite a bit of time in and out of Wisconsin prisons and jails. Some of the time he has been married. Anything he really cares about he leaves on the outside, usually with his wife or with his son (kids feel really special when made responsible for daddy's watch. Older kids feel good and important to their father when they are made responsible for the car or a wallet or a ring. Use your judgement). Anything he really cares about he doesn't trust to the judgement or custody of the department of corrections. And he doesn't trust other inmates to respect a wedding ring. So far, he's always come back out with the same ring he went in with, but he feels better about it, and so have his wives (serial, not bigamist). It's one decision I really like.