Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > WISCONSIN > Wisconsin General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Wisconsin General Prison Talk, News, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Wisconsin that do not fit into any other Wisconsin sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 12-26-2017, 02:24 PM

Default Fox Lake or Winendago? Which is better?

My brother in law is at dodge ane it sounds like he can request where he goes next. Which is better. Any help would be great.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2017, 09:38 PM

The biggest difference is Fox Lake is a medium security prison and Winnebago is a minimum security/work release Correctional center. Comparing the 2 is not comparing apples to apples. If he has been classified to go to a medium security prison Fox Lake, Oshkosh, or Redgranite might be good options to consider if those are close to home. I don't know anything about Fox Lake. I know Oshkosh has had issues with contraband and drug overdoses leading to tighter restrictions in the prison and visiting room...I haven't heard much good about Oshkosh the last couple years. My man is at Redgranite right now and he doesn't have many complaints, it's a decent place.
Old 12-27-2017, 05:07 PM

I don't have any experience with Winnebago, but can tell you that as far as prisons go, Fox Lake is pretty decent. It's the only one in the Wisconsin DOC that has a "no-pass" system - guys can move about more freely than at other facilities. The housing units are like dorm rooms - two guys to a room (there are a handful of single rooms, but those are typically earned by long-timers.) They have a common area/day room and share bathrooms/showers on each unit. Like most places, there are typically waiting lists to get into programs and classes.

If you have specific questions, feel free to ask.