Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > KENTUCKY > Kentucky Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Kentucky Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation, work release and community service in Kentucky should be posted here.

Old 04-21-2018, 02:11 PM

Default Can someone tell me about Interstate Agreement on Detainers in kentucky?

Iíve posted before my boyfriend is only in prison and not back at the halfway house because of an old change in another state. So theyíve put a detainer on him to take him back to TN once KY is done with him. Legal aid at his current prison has been talking about IAD / Interstate & we are wondering what is it, how it works, could it apply to him?

Also can someone get a public defender while in prison in one state to work a case for them in another state? Or no?

Thanks so much!!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2018, 02:37 PM

Thanked 5,991 Times in 3,116 Posts

Generally the way it works is the state that wants him has to come get him then he gets an attorney. If it's minor they generally don't bother, just from what I have seen.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
Generally the way it works is the state that wants him has to come get him then he gets an attorney. If it's minor they generally don't bother, just from what I have seen.

Itís violation of probation so fairly minor in my opinion. They havenít come to get in & arenít according to the DA in TN. They are gonna wait. We was just wondering if there is any way we could get this TN stuff behind him now rather than later so he knows what time heís looking st total
Old 04-21-2018, 02:46 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,837 Times in 16,503 Posts

State specific questions are usually best asked in that state's forum

Here is what Ky DOC Policies & Procedures say about Interstate Agreement on Detainers per Kentucky Statues:

https://corrections.ky.gov/community...0Detainers.pdf

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 04-21-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
State specific questions are usually best asked in that state's forum

Here is what Ky DOC Policies & Procedures say about Interstate Agreement on Detainers per Kentucky Statues:

https://corrections.ky.gov/community...0Detainers.pdf

Sorry! I still get confused on where to ask questions and it seems like there isnít much activity on some of those sub forums. I canít get that link to work. Do you know another place I could find info on it specific to ky? Thanks!!
Old 04-21-2018, 03:31 PM

I kind of think that at the end of current sentence they either pick him up or he's released. That does not mean they are dropping the stuff. Just they aren't willing to pick him up.
Old 04-21-2018, 04:32 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,837 Times in 16,503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallflower78me View Post
Sorry! I still get confused on where to ask questions and it seems like there isn’t much activity on some of those sub forums. I can’t get that link to work. Do you know another place I could find info on it specific to ky? Thanks!!

You'll get the hang of it, you're still green behind the ears

Hmmm.....the link works fine for me Must be a glitz of some sort.

You can go to the KY DOC homepage, put "policies and procedures" in the search box at the top right of the page. When you get the
policies and procedures list, the policy # is 18.17. You'll have to click on Chapter !8 (Classification), when that opens another list, click on 18.17 (Agreement on Detainers). I'd copy/paste it, but it's too many pages...

You can also find it by Statute (
KRS 440.450, 197.020 and 196.035), but for me personally there are too many ifs ands or buts when trying to read Statutes Kentucky Revised Statutes (KRS) (ky laws) can be found on the Ky Legislative webpage: http://www.lrc.ky.gov/home.htm

patchouli, PTO Admin

Last edited by patchouli; 04-21-2018 at 04:36 PM.. Reason: added links
Old 04-21-2018, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator on Leave

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 6,158 Times in 3,057 Posts

IAD are only for pending cases where no conviction or plea or sentence has been entered. A probation violation or parole violation must wait until one finishes in the current state or is paroled out then the other state will come get him.

I thought I had explained that one previous time. In any event, for a violation after one has been sentenced cannot be taken care of while serving a sentence in another state.

Even if his TN charges were pending, it would be possible to begin those court proceedings but after sentencing, he would return to KY to finish or parole out then go to TN. Most states run their time consecutive to other states, especially is another crime was committed while out on parole or probation.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sass4221 View Post
IAD are only for pending cases where no conviction or plea or sentence has been entered. A probation violation or parole violation must wait until one finishes in the current state or is paroled out then the other state will come get him.

I thought I had explained that one previous time. In any event, for a violation after one has been sentenced cannot be taken care of while serving a sentence in another state.

Even if his TN charges were pending, it would be possible to begin those court proceedings but after sentencing, he would return to KY to finish or parole out then go to TN. Most states run their time consecutive to other states, especially is another crime was committed while out on parole or probation.

Yes you did explain that and I couldnít find the post where you did to refer back. I couldnít remember it all. Sorry about that. Iím just trying to find a way to help him but it looks like all he can do it serve his time , hopefully get parole in May 2019 then get taken to TN. It just doesnít seem fair because he did what he was supposed to do. He contacted the PO and has proof of that. The letter was returned because he didnít work there any longer , they should have assigned him to someone else or something. I mean he was in prison he couldnít go see the PO. He did write them though. Itís just frustrating and very sad.

Then people keep telling him including his worker that he could go up for parole sooner like December..because of over crowing. It gets his hopes up but I havenít heard any of that. I wish theyíd just be quiet unless itís FOR SURE. I know KY did that before because prisons were over crowded after they cracked down on dealers but I didnít hear of that recent. Do you think there is any chance people are released early?

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:02 PM

Thanked 3,667 Times in 1,712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallflower78me View Post
Yes you did explain that and I couldnít find the post where you did to refer back. I couldnít remember it all. Sorry about that. Iím just trying to find a way to help him but it looks like all he can do it serve his time , hopefully get parole in May 2019 then get taken to TN. It just doesnít seem fair because he did what he was supposed to do. He contacted the PO and has proof of that. The letter was returned because he didnít work there any longer , they should have assigned him to someone else or something. I mean he was in prison he couldnít go see the PO. He did write them though. Itís just frustrating and very sad.

Then people keep telling him including his worker that he could go up for parole sooner like December..because of over crowing. It gets his hopes up but I havenít heard any of that. I wish theyíd just be quiet unless itís FOR SURE. I know KY did that before because prisons were over crowded after they cracked down on dealers but I didnít hear of that recent. Do you think there is any chance people are released early?

Thanks for your help.
When they get new charges, they are going to be in violation whether the P.O. knew or not. Just wait it as best you can.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to onedayatatime13 For This Useful Post:
Wallflower78me (04-22-2018), xolady (04-22-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 08:39 AM

Regardless of fair or not he violated probation. You can't fix his stuff he has to he might go and they will release him depending on what his probation was for and who his judge is. Just try and relax and stop stressing it's only going to make the time go slower for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to xolady For This Useful Post:
Wallflower78me (04-22-2018)
Old 04-22-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolady View Post
Regardless of fair or not he violated probation. You can't fix his stuff he has to he might go and they will release him depending on what his probation was for and who his judge is. Just try and relax and stop stressing it's only going to make the time go slower for you.

Thanks & you are right. ♥️
Old 04-22-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedayatatime13 View Post
When they get new charges, they are going to be in violation whether the P.O. knew or not. Just wait it as best you can.

I meant thatís why he is in violation of it is because he didnít contact them. He didnít violate it then not contact him.