Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison & the Criminal Justice System that do not fit into any other Federal sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 05-31-2007, 01:29 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,379 Times in 4,637 Posts
Default Women in the Criminal Justice System

The Sentencing Project has just issued a new report on women in the criminal justice system. You can access it at:

http://sentencingproject.org/Admin/D...incj_total.pdf
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2007, 10:32 PM

Zelda just read this artice. I have been gone for a couple of weeks and I am just catching up. Very informative. Thank's for the post.l
Old 06-10-2007, 07:46 AM

This report is really a sad societal commentary. The fact that we have access to statistics which give definition to this chronic problem and give a really good idea of what it will take to break the cycle of failure and yet we watch the bills in Congress which may begin to address some of these failures fought or ignored. It makes you wonder how many of the people with the power to make change for the better are really all that interested in doing so. Ex-inmates, their friends and family and all interested parties need to write (not email) their respective representatives and let them know they will not be voted for if they ignore these bills which will restore peoples lives and in the process enhance society as a whole. The squeaky wheel really does get the oil.

God bless the innocent children involved.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:53 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 8,379 Times in 4,637 Posts

I'm just curious if writing is better than emailing - because I've heard that snail mail takes a REALLY long time to get to them because of all the mailroom security issues. I don't know the answer - just curious if anyone has definitive info on that. What I do know is that calling and talking to someone is supposed to be best. Z.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:08 PM

I have an acquaintance, the brother of and an aide to, a New Jersey Congressman, who says email is so voluminous these days that very little of it is actually read and once it gets more than a week old the subject line is usually not even given a cursory look.
I do know that you are right-on about talking and calling being the best way.
I am lucky that my representative spends most mornings in the local Borders reading papers, drinking coffee and talking to anyone who comes by when he is in town. When I do send a letter I spring for the $ and send it certified.
I guess one of the answers is volume, cohesion and persistence among those concerned enough to try to make a difference, no matter what form of communication is used. However, I do believe that if email is the chosen form and many people are using the medium the subject line should be consistent for impact. If you get 200 emails with the same subject line it's bound to arouse curiosity.
Just my thoughts.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:20 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,110 Times in 1,404 Posts

Letter writing to Congress folk counts because they have to give a response. The more people who contact them on an issue the better. Like children, inmates don't vote, so it is important to financially support those few who do have real and long-time concerns for judicial and prison issues.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:50 PM

DEKAT'S MOM. Did the E-MAIL today Clinton said Get in touch with your SENATOR, is she running for the WHITE HOUSE or not. Needs to be more alert. MY SENATOR isnt any better. KAT'S MOM