Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Visitation, Prison Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania Visitation, Prison Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Pennsylvania Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 09:45 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,322 Times in 1,276 Posts

I was charged a $9.50 "convenience fee" when I opened the account with my credit card on-line.

If the inmate moves to a different state facility, you must call GTL and "move" your account. You don't go through the entire set-up process; they just transfer the account to the new location.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:56 PM

Default email while in lockdown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobble60 View Post
I think a thread on this company is the best way to consolidate our experiences. I had a long talk with a supervisor there today to find out why accounts are so often blocked.

The gist of her explanation is this: Don't open an account for a PA STATE PRISON via their website. While your money will be there, the account won't extend to the state prisons. (Apparently, the on-line account sign-up is only for some county jails ... a little detail they don't explain before you arrpove the credit card transaction.)

Instead, if you want an account from a PA STATE PRISON, you should always set it up over the phone with Global Tel*Link. If the inmate attempts to call you collect, you will be prompted to set up the account. Beware that his 15-minute call clock will be running while you're doing this, so you may not get to speak to him this time. Other wise, call them and set up the account in advance.

If you want to pre-pay for a wireless phone number, they will require you send them a copy of your wireless bill -- not more than 45 days old -- as proof that you have an account in good standing. You can fax it to them. They require 3-5 days to set up these accounts.

Pre-paid to a landline is much easier and faster, as they can verify the line instantly.

Their number is: 877-650-4249. Their fax number (to send a copy of a wireless bill faster) is: 866-262-9123.

Also, we are considered a "former MCI" state, which means you get automated access to your account at 800-231-0193. Have your PIN number ready.

Using their "Advance Pay" to open the account cost me $9.50. Adding money later by phone costs nothing.

A word of caution: They aren't the most understanding people in the world. Conversations with their customer service people often feel edgy, as though they consider you to be the inmate. They are uncompromising and will quickly offer to refund your money and close your account. Even the supervisors come off as cold.
Can I send a jpay email while my son is in lockdown upon arrival at Camp Hill?
Old 02-15-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmom View Post
Can I send a jpay email while my son is in lockdown upon arrival at Camp Hill?

Yes, he will get them. The letters from what I have heard are delivered in the evening. I write my letters before going to bed at night, and my husband gets them the next evening. You may not hear a response for a week or longer. I have found that letters take at least four days from the time they are written and sent to arrive by regular mail.
Old 03-04-2010, 11:37 AM

Default What is the Benefit with Card or Prepaid Account?

This all sounds like an incredible hassle. What are the benefits of an Inmate using a prepaid card, or a prepaid account; versus just calling collect and the person being called getting charged the $6.25?

REVDEB
Old 03-04-2010, 08:57 PM

PTO Moderator 

The pre-paid card is simpler. GTL and other phone carriers can reject an application for credit or other reasons.

On the other hand, sending money for pre-paid cards subjects the money to up to 20% deductions under Act 84.

Each person has to decide which method works best for him or her. I take collect calls to my landline via GTL and Verizon -- billed on my regular Verizon bill. I have a GTL pre-paid account on my wireless; I put money on it as needed.

(Yes, I take calls from many prisons ...)
Old 03-28-2010, 07:36 PM

Thanked 1,564 Times in 801 Posts

Not sure if anyone will have an answer to this....

I already have a GTL account set up. I've only ever put money on the account in $25 increments. When I do this, I believe the account is actually only credited $20.25 because of the fee or whatever (ridiculous). If I put $50 on the account, will the fee still be the same (seemingly about $4.75) or will it be more? I guess what I'm getting at is, would it be a good idea to put money on in $50 increments if you can afford it?
Old 03-29-2010, 12:39 AM

Hi, I just set up an Advance Pay account with Global Tel Link today. I did it over the phone and they didnt ask for any of my fiance' information. The only information i gave them was my cell phone number and my credit card information. I dont understand how this is going to work seeing as how they dont have any of his information. I just read also that you have to fax your cell bill to them their not calling landlines? I hope I dont have to go through a huge process to get my money back if it doesnt go through! I should have just done the prepay calling card instead! Any help or info would be greatly appreciated! He got transfered up state on Tuesday and I havent talked to him since, going crazy! =] thanks in advance!
Old 03-29-2010, 08:05 PM

PTO Moderator 

They don't need inmate information -- the prison computer handles that piece. They only need to know that he's in a Pennsylvania DOC facility.

As for the cell phone bill, I'm surprised by that twist. They were quite firm on it when I set up an account. You might want to call them back and confirm all this.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:57 PM

Well I called them today and as everyone stated, this guy was completely ignorant! I asked him why they didnt ask me for any of my fiance' information and he said because we dont need it. I said why is that? He said because he's in county. I said no he isnt in county, he is in SCI Graterford. He responded with "Oh." I said my sister in law told me that i need to fax you my phone bill in order for this to work. He said "Yeah you do" I said Okay well can I have a fax number? He gave me the number and then the phone got completely silent for a good 20 seconds. I said okay can you proceed to tell me what i have to do after I fax my phone bill? He said "Yeah call back in 3-5 business days" The phone went silent again for another 20 seconds. I said Oh great thanks for all your help! He said your welcome and hung up on me! I am in complete shock that these people treat you the way they do! So now I dont know what to expect in 3-5 days! Is there anyway that they can deny me seeing as how i have a tmobile flexplan (something like prepaid) Im just hoping that when I call back in 3-5 days they'll tell me that he can start calling me! If i would have known before that it would be this much of a hassle i would have just had him buy a calling card! Ugh now i understand completely what everyone was complaining about! How are they still in business? Thanks for your help Bobble!

Last edited by prisonwifeyy; 03-29-2010 at 11:58 PM..
Old 03-30-2010, 12:36 AM

Also, I never recieved a PIN!! The automated service asked for my cell number, my credit card information, and my zipcode. Then told me my account was activated! UGH im dreading going through this. Can you tell me how many phone calls I'd get if he bought a phone card? And how do i go about cancelling their service? Thanks in advance!!

Old 03-30-2010, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAINZ View Post
Glt has pre paid accounts for the pa doc!!!!!!!
They won't give me one!!!!!

WHY????
Cause it's in your Husbands name .... right?
The account and the phone have to be in the same persons name....
but not the Inmate... They can't be responsible to pay the bill so GTL won't allow you to use the phone at all under the Inmates name...
Also, The collect calls I recieve now are billed to Att, (My provider)
They are only $2.95 for 15 min. ....No wonder they want you to set up a prepay account...
Has anyone turned them in to the FCC yet?

Oh, By the way....
GTL is the same to Californians....
Old 03-30-2010, 01:24 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohsweetmaryjane View Post
Not sure if anyone will have an answer to this....

I already have a GTL account set up. I've only ever put money on the account in $25 increments. When I do this, I believe the account is actually only credited $20.25 because of the fee or whatever (ridiculous). If I put $50 on the account, will the fee still be the same (seemingly about $4.75) or will it be more? I guess what I'm getting at is, would it be a good idea to put money on in $50 increments if you can afford it?

Wow....
GTL charges us $9.95 fee to add money each time...
Old 04-02-2010, 05:37 PM

PTO Moderator 

I deposit money on-line through their portal and am not charged for it. Are you sure you aren't confusing with the taxes they deduct at the end of the month?
Old 06-20-2010, 07:31 PM

I want to be sure I have this right. If we are going to use phone cards he buys we don't have to set up account with Globaltek? And how long before he can buy phone cards? He will just be going to state from county soon. I thought it wasn"t until they were in browns that he can get commissary? Want him to be able to call ASAP. Can you do both? Set up a prepaid account and have him use phone cards?
Old 06-21-2010, 01:13 AM

If he is in County he should get a free phone call daily. Once he goes up state and he is in population he will be able to buy phone cards and call. Phone cards is way easier than going through Global HELL link! How much each call is depends on how far away you are from him. My fiance was in Graterford, and I am in Philly, our phone calls were about $1.60 for a 15 minute call. He is now in Forest and were paying about $6.00 a call. But I just bought a prepaid cell phone and chose a phone number from his zip code so our calls will go back to $1.60! So my advice is definitely stick with the phone cards and avoid the hassle!!

The Following User Says Thank You to prisonwifeyy For This Useful Post:
Maggie1212 (06-21-2010)
Old 06-21-2010, 12:07 PM

How long before he can buy phone cards? There will be money on his books the day he goes to state. And our county jail there are no free phone calls but we go through ITT now
Old 06-23-2010, 11:51 PM

Once he is in population, he'll go to commissary on a wednesday but he wont get his stuff until the following wednesday. That goes for everything EXCEPT phone cards. If he buys a phone card he should be able to call you that day or the next. When my fiance got sent to Graterford he was in the hole for a week because that prison is so over-populated. Once he is in a cell, he'll be able to do go to commissary. Im sure you will get a letter from him letting you know what is going on cause he'll get 10 free envelopes whether he is in population or not. So about a week after he gets there, im sure you will get a phone call!

Old 07-06-2010, 07:13 PM

Has anyone tried to set up a Vonage number thru Global Telink
I am only asking because my man is in Fayette, I am in philadelphia and our calls before were like 6.25 a call so i got a local number thru vonage and we been doing the phone card thing...the only probem is that he can only put in request for cards on sundays and get the card on Tuesday . But if he forgets or the request gets lost like it did last week then we go a whole week withought being able to talk .. So i thought if i got the vonage number set up thru Global Telink then we wouldnt havne this problem and i could go back to being the one making sure we have the $ to talk.
But I just want to make sure that Global wont give me a problme with it being a vonage number.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:08 AM

Talked to Global tel link to set up pre-pay account. I have to fax them my cell phone bill and she said I could email also. Does any one have an address to send it to also? Just want to be sure all bases are covered and when I call back in 3-5 days they don't tell me they didn't receive it. Yeah I am a little nuts about these things
Old 08-08-2010, 07:09 AM

PTO Moderator 

If you e-mail it, just have your browser request a return receipt. That'll be proof they opened it.
Old 08-10-2010, 01:46 PM

Got phone account set up. Wasn't too bad except when they tell you 3-5 days to call back it's business days. Now just waiting until he gets his list approved
Old 08-10-2010, 01:48 PM

Finished setting up phone account today. Wasn't too bad. The only thing is when they tell you 3-5 days , it's business days. Now just waiting for his phone list to approved
Old 08-16-2010, 07:58 AM
Account Closed

I already have a gtl account havent use it since he been at graterford we been using calling cards i was just wonderin do anyone no if its cheaper to use gtl or phone cards!
Old 08-16-2010, 08:13 AM

Thanked 1,564 Times in 801 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobble60 View Post
I deposit money on-line through their portal and am not charged for it. Are you sure you aren't confusing with the taxes they deduct at the end of the month?
Bobble, I'm assuming you're referring to GTL at PA DOC facilities, correct? I have GTL (prepaid) set up for a Philadelphia jail and I don't think there is a way for me to add money online without a fee.

I currently pay a $4.75 fee to add $25 or a $9.50 fee to add $50. So ridiculous. Anyone know a way around these fees?
Old 08-16-2010, 12:25 PM

When my nephew's GF was in York County Jail, I used GTL pre-pay, it was set up differently than the state institutions. (where I also have soeone) And someone asked, is it more fee when adding more than $25.
Yes, it went up pretty much proportionately.
Closed Thread