Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > IOWA Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

IOWA Prison & Criminal Justice Discussions Topics and conversations dealing with the State of Iowa - Department of Corrections, Criminal Justice System, Prisoner & Family Support, News & Information, visitation, mail, etc.

View Poll Results: Would you use something like this shuttle if it were affordable?
yes, frequently 4 57.14%
Yes, at least twice a month or more 0 0%
yes, if I had no other transportation 1 14.29%
Not likely, but I think it's a good idea for others I'll spread the word 1 14.29%
Never and I think it's a bad idea all around 1 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-25-2010, 03:06 PM

Default STATEWIDE Affordable Shuttle for Visitation and Rideshare Requests

I am looking for riders to share gas/cost etc... from Iowa City to Clarinda and/or any other facilities along the way. My car or yours. *Please PM member for info. Personal information removed as per PTO policy*. Thank you.

Last edited by Snowwolf; 03-25-2011 at 01:26 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2010, 04:15 AM
skenna

Unhappy Help ride to clarinda from ottumwa

hello anyone that can help me hitch a ride up to clarinda iowa to visit my b.f. I live in ottumwa iowa and i will help out with gas. I havent seen my b.f. In 3 months. Thanks
Old 09-24-2010, 06:07 PM

Default anyone go to clarinda to visits that i could split gas with???

My man just got moved to clarinda and I don't have a way to go see him... I will split gas with someone if they are willing to let me ride with them... I would really appriciate it... I just wanna see my fience... please send me a private message and let me know
Old 09-27-2010, 06:50 PM

Default Does anyone visit at clarinda

If anyone goes to clarinda please personal message me if you are from sioux city and would let me pay u to take me. My fience is there and I haven't seen him for awhile. I don't have a license and can't find anyone to take me because I haven't lived in iowa very long and don't know anyone. Please please please let me know. Thank
Old 09-30-2010, 09:25 AM

Have you checked with the prison chaplain at Clarinda to ask if he's aware of any organization that coordinates rides for prison families? In some areas, prison advocacy groups and church groups do this sort of thing, but I don't know if a similar thing exists around Clarinda.

If you haven't seen some of the postings on this site cautioning about accepting rides from others, you might want to look for them. Some people have gotten into trouble when someone else in their carpool was carrying contraband into the prison, etc.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:20 PM

Oh okay thanks for letting me know I will check into it tomarrow. I never thought of the whole contraband thing and how it could affect me.... thank you this is my first time sitting through this with him. Thanks for the advice
Old 10-18-2010, 11:51 PM

Default please anyone im desperate, looking for a ride to clairinda

Anyone who goes to clarinda and wouldn't mind someone riding along let me know. I haven't seen my fience for 4 months and I miss him like crazy. I'm working 2 jobs just to survive and I will pay half of everything to get down there.... if anyone is willing to let me ride w I would appreciate it....
Old 10-21-2010, 12:47 AM

Default clarinda lodge anyone?? (Wanting to carpool)

If anyone from sioux city goes to clarinda lodge and wouldn't mind letting me ride along I would appreciate it. I don't have a car but I work 2 jobs and can pay half of everything. I haven't seen my fience in 4 months and am dying to see him.... I would do anything for just one visit.... so if anyone would be willing I would be forever greatful!!!!! Private message me and let me know thanks!
Old 10-25-2010, 09:36 PM
Love my husband <3

Default Davenport to Mt Pleasant?

Hi there everyone, I live in Davenport, IA and my fiance is in Mt Pleasant, IA and I should be approved to visit soon but I have no car. I am willing to split gas costs if you are close to my area
Old 11-08-2010, 09:34 PM
Life Lovin
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,244 Times in 1,385 Posts
Default 2010 Carpool/Rideshare (Notices Only)

Disclaimer:

Prison Talk Online cannot accept responsibility for rideshare or carpool arrangements made between members.

Members are advised that they make these arrangements at their own risk and in no way can PTO be held accountable for any problems that arise.

If you are trying to find a ride or if you have an empty seat and want company and/or help with costs, post in this thread..

Please include the following information -
  • Whether you have a vehicle or need a lift - If you need a lift, are you able to share the driving? (If you let someone else drive your car, there's nothing at all rude about asking to SEE their driver's license and if you'll be driving someone else's car, it's sensible to ask to see the insurance card.)
  • What area you're coming from (preferably at least the County)
  • When you usually leave and how long you generally stay - For example, if you drive all night and go directly to the prison or if you arrive Friday night and get a room.
  • Do you travel with children?
  • Are you a smoker or is it really important to you that your carpool pal NOT smoke?
Most other details should be exchanged via private message.

Here's an example:

Ride needed from Oakland Area.
Licensed driver.
Can share gas costs, and maybe a room?
Prefer to go on Friday and stay until after Sunday visiting.

Or

I drive from Mendocino County 2 times a month.
Would like to share the driving and gas costs.
Sorry, I can't accommodate children.
I smoke and play the stereo loud.
Usually leave after lunch on Friday and head back right after Sunday Visits.

Please do not post comments or replies to posts in this thread.
Post ONLY your Carpool Information.

Use the PM feature to reply to a post.

Comments and/or replies will be deleted.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:55 AM

Looking for a ride to MPCF. (my car will not make it there)
I live in the Cedar Rapids area
Licensed driver
I do not mind children.
Willing to share gas $.
I usually stay 3 hrs or so.
I do smoke, but willing to not in car if your willing to stop a couple of times along the way.
Saturdays are not good for me.

My shelter dog has it....all the best men are from prison.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:48 AM

Exclamation STATEWIDE Affordable shuttle for visitation

Hey everyone, kind of new to posting here but been a "reading" member for some time now.

My husband is halfway through a five year hitch and one of the biggest problems we have had is visiting. I don't know about everyone else but for me the cost and wear and tear on my poor little car are both very prohibitive.

I have had a talk with my boss, I am a cab driver in Iowa city, and she has agreed that if enough people are interested to cover the cost that as a Christian woman it is her duty to try and help families stay together. The end result is I have been given the job of setting up visitors shuttles to every prison in Iowa at least twice per month, more if the number of people interested warrants it.

So what do you all say? You can either email me here or at (removed per PTO policy - please contact member for info via pm)

We can't do door to door like with the cabs but more of a park and ride system. I arrange central places for us to all meet up along preset routes and then return you to the same place I picked you up.

Kids are kind of a sticky one though, we don't WANT to charge for them and if the van isn't booked full we won't, but if the van is booked full then we have to or else we would have to charge everyone else more to cover the seats making no money, we hope you understand.

We want to get this up and moving as soon as we can so please don't hesitate to call or email me.

We are a licensed/insured taxi company, this is no hoax, I am a prisoners wife and our main goal here is to keep you and your loved on in touch and seeing each other.

Talk to you soon,

Meg

Last edited by Keltria; 04-12-2011 at 03:39 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bubbas_girl41 For This Useful Post:
1crazygirl4him (07-06-2012), SimplyMe123 (04-12-2011)
Old 04-12-2011, 05:19 AM

Thanked 2,325 Times in 1,203 Posts

Disclaimer:

Prison Talk Online cannot accept responsibility for rideshare or carpool arrangements made between members.

Members are advised that they make these arrangements at their own risk and in no way can PTO be held accountable for any problems that arise.

We would like to encourage our members to consider the following precautions when entering into a carpool/rideshare agreement with another member.
  • Before agreeing to carpool, certain issues should be discussed and decisions made. Issues that should be settled immediately include members’ feelings about the radio, conversation, smoking habits and eating.
  • You should also find out whether the vehicle, personal possessions, or clothing of either passengers or driver will contain illegal substances or contraband. This is a very important issue and should be addressed with your fellow travellers. Prisons routinely search vehicles and you should be aware if there is a possibility of something being discovered and action taken. Most states do not allow firearms, cameras or alcohol on prison grounds - do your research, find out what is the local policy.
  • Agree in advance on reimbursement for driving expenses, meals, toll roads, parking fees and so on. Agree on a way of payment and a timescale for payment to happen.
  • If you don’t know your carpooling buddies, feel free to ask them about their driving record. Make sure they have a valid drivers licence.
  • Make your pick-up point a public location until you thoroughly trust the other individual.
  • Use common sense and trust your instincts; with a little preparation carpooling can be very rewarding and often leads to long lasting friendships.
Finally, have a safe journey and enjoy your visits.

Happy Trails!!!
Old 04-12-2011, 06:29 AM

Im very interested...already pm you....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Levi's wife For This Useful Post:
Bubbas_girl41 (04-12-2011), K_nebinger71810 (09-26-2011)
Old 04-12-2011, 11:48 AM

Unhappy Think first

Exactly right, I would never encourage people to blindly set up rides with just anyone, that is the main reason I made sure to mention that we are a licensed, active taxi company here in Iowa City, complete with insurance and a law here that requires all drivers must pass a background check and be approved by the police before they are allowed their badges by the county.

Luckily for me most of our business is at night from the drunken college kids here, that leaves the vans open during the day a lot so my boss allowed me to try this.

I do have to say I am saddened though that even after all these years (12 for me so far on and off) the biggest opposition I always encounter is from my own kind rather than the DOC as one would expect.

The name of the company wasn't listed because I didn't want my post to sound like a commercial rather than an offer of help but if it helps put everyone at ease it is Big Ten Aardvark Taxi in Iowa City, Iowa, check it out. You can call the local cops, we are on face book, and I don't know where else.

Please call me with any questions,

Meg
Old 04-12-2011, 12:46 PM

I am very interested in this!! My boyfriend recently got moved to clarinda and I live in des moines. I have not been approved to visit yet, but I should be approved anyday!!! how do I get ahold of you?
Old 04-15-2011, 09:23 PM

Default Iowa visitation made easier.

I posted a few days ago about my boss making the taxi vans available for shuttle routes to Iowa prisons. I received some questions so I will try to make things a bit clearer.

We are a licensed taxi company here in Iowa City, all of our drivers have had background checks and there is no gimmick. All we are trying to do is answer a need that, as a prison wife, know exist and my boss is trying to do what she see's as her Christian duty.

Our vans seat 7 plus a driver and if there is a need we will run more than one shuttle to a prison.

A tip to some on either edge of Iowa (west or east) it may help you even more moneywise if we show you how to take the mega bus part of the way and ride our shuttle the rest. Mega Bus only runs along the I80 but if booked in advance online can get you from one side of the state to the other for as little as $5 NOT A MISPRINT

We are trying to keep the prices at just what we need to cover our cost so the more people there are the cheaper it gets for everyone. We are trying to eventually (sooner rather than later I hope) cover every prison in Iowa.

I was really sad to see how distrustful our world has become, sadly though not without cause I know.

Don't be shy about emailing me your questions please, this is something I want to do are there are no stupid questions except the one that is unasked that may have helped you see your loved one again or more often as the case may be.

Also please, we want your feedback, ideas and input!!!!!!!

Finding out more info is free and we want to help.

Meg
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bubbas_girl41 For This Useful Post:
SallyMenke (04-16-2011), SimplyMe123 (04-16-2011), Snowwolf (04-16-2011)
Old 04-17-2011, 11:41 PM

Thanked 2,325 Times in 1,203 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph's Girl View Post
I am very interested in this!! My boyfriend recently got moved to clarinda and I live in des moines. I have not been approved to visit yet, but I should be approved anyday!!! how do I get ahold of you?

Please private message Meg (PM)

If you don't know how, click on her name and a little drop down menu appears and one option is to send a PM.

Enjoy your visit!

Snowwolf
Old 04-18-2011, 07:52 PM

Default Clarinda rides

OK Folks, so far we have two people asking about Clarinda, and we can pick you up along the I80 along the way. We need five more then we can schedule the first shuttle to Clarinda!

Meg
Old 04-19-2011, 12:45 AM

Thumbs up Mount Pleasant Sunday April 24th, 2011

We will be leaving at 9:30 AM from Iowa City (unless someone from Cedar Rapids signs up) Heading to Mount Pleasant State Prison. We will be able to do pick ups along the way (218, 380) or from surrounding areas such as Ottumwa, Fairfield, Riverside, North Liberty etc... Our goal is to fill the van and to keep it at $20 per head round trip, less if you are closer than half way. Return time is still open, depends if we need to run more than one group. We will try to stay as long as we can but right now we will be there at LEAST 3 hours. email me for more info.

Meg

Next date we are trying for is Thursday April 28th, 2011
The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbas_girl41 For This Useful Post:
Snowwolf (04-19-2011)
Old 04-19-2011, 07:15 PM
Love my husband <3

I'm gonna cry! I really wish I could see my baby but I'm still in North Dakota. :'( So if anyone sees him tell him I love him LOL
Old 04-20-2011, 12:37 AM

Question Why cry?

This is not a one time deal, we are going to try and offer this every Sunday. Other routes coming soon as well.

Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplegirl1008 View Post
I'm gonna cry! I really wish I could see my baby but I'm still in North Dakot a. :'( So if anyone sees him tell him I love him LOL
Old 04-21-2011, 07:45 PM
Love my husband <3

Yeah but I live in the Quad Cities and you aren't going there. Unless I read wrong?
Old 04-21-2011, 11:35 PM

Thumbs up half way

I would be happy to meet you half way on the I80 between quad and Iowa city. If you don't have a vehicle and can help cover the extra gas I can even come get you.

Is there anyone else out in that area that would be interested?

Meg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplegirl1008 View Post
Yeah but I live in the Quad Cities and you aren't going there. Unless I read wrong?
The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbas_girl41 For This Useful Post:
Snowwolf (04-22-2011)
Old 04-22-2011, 09:57 AM
Love my husband <3

I'll let you know whats going on when I get back to Iowa, by the time I get back he sees the parole board like 2 weeks later and may get early release : )