Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status All discussions relating to specific Texas Department of Criminal Justice prison units, Texas State Jails & Private prisons, and County Jails.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:43 PM

Default Plumbing issues on Garza West TX Prison Unit -who to call?

Today at visitation my husband asked me if I would please call the warden or someone about the plumbing problems in his dorm. He has been in the same dorm for 2 months and said it has been this way the whole time he’s been in there. They have 2 toilets working out of 8 for a 54 man dorm (urinals are broken, too) and the toilets are flooding into the dorm itself under people’s bunks with water and whatever happens to be in that toilet when it floods. He said they’ve written grievances and I-60’s and are also going to try getting their families call up there. I spoke to a CO when I was leaving today and she said there’s nothing I can do or no one I can talk to. According to her, TDCJ is broke and there is no money to fix these things. She said periodically they go thru and “inspect” the dorms and write down what is wrong and will fix it whenever they might be able to do so (“maybe after Sept 1st”). Is there no maintenance crew that fixes this kind of stuff? I just can’t see that TDCJ doesn’t have enough inmates for a maintenance crew to keep the damn toilets operational and not flooding nasty stuff all into the living area of the dorm. Anyone know who we should call on something like this because I feel as though calling anyone on this unit is going to be pointless?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2011, 05:59 AM
Banned

My turn to chime in here. Sounds like he might be in A2? We had issues in that dorm forever. Especially with the toilets/urinals. However, there really isn't anyone you (a civilian) can call to do much about it. Call the Warden, Asst. Warden or even the Major. I don't think any of that will do much good personally. Reason I say this, the toilets that Garza has a porcelain. Quite expensive too. They break. Both from natural reasons and inmates getting wise ideas to break them. To replace them, they have to have 1. a work order issued by the head of maintenance (he's a real cheap bastard that wont fix something that might break again) 2. the part in stock within that regions warehouse or on unit. 3. money to purchase said item. All those factors have to line up for anything to be done.

Here's an interesting story of how we got one replaced. We were on lockdown, one of our annuals. My bunkmate was sorta crippled, had to walk with a cane since he had rods in his back. He was doped up on something someone else gave him, he needed to sleep really badly but couldn't. Well, he gets this bright idea to go break the toilet that isn't working to get them to come replace it. Sure enough, he goes into the shower area, lifts the toilet off/from the wall and drops it - it shatters. He then fakes falling down in the shower area while one of the guys calls a guard in. Medical comes, Sergent comes, Lieutenant comes, cameras come, hell Maintenance comes too! Our dorm became flooded with rank and CO's. They all write their reports, question the dorm on what we all saw, etc. They remove the pieces of the toilet (remember, it's porcelain and can be used as weapons!). About 3 months later, after having a hole in the wall where the drainage would go, we finally got a new toilet. 3 months!! All the while, roaches, crickets, frogs even 3 snakes came through that hole we had stuffed with newspaper. It was an open hole, to raw sewage. 3 months.. shows you the length of time it takes to do much of anything there.

Also, all 54 of us had written grievances against the maintenance, the warden, the major and anyone else we could think of. We contacted the Ombudsman and ACLU.. absolutely none of that did any good, cause they didn't have the 'means to replace' the toilet at that time.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:48 AM

Thanks for the input. I kinda felt like it wouldn't do much good. He's actually in C6, but I imagine that's not the only dorm that has issues. Another wife I talk to says she was told to call the health dept, but I already know that won't go anywhere cause they probably wouldn't even make it into the unit. Anyway, that was an awesome way for y'all to get one replaced though. LOL. I've been down there a couple of times, too, on short numbers, but maintenance always got to stuff fairly quickly on the female units I was on. That was some years ago though. Thanks again.