Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!






Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OREGON > Oregon Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oregon Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service All information relating to parole, probation, halfway houses, community service and electronic monitoring in Oregon should be posted here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-01-2012, 07:54 PM
Deecah Deecah is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: WA County Oregon
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Felon friendly housing

Hi
I am the mother of a young man who went to prison because his friend made some bad choices and my son was there. He is coming home in February and I am staying with a friend right now and in the process of looking for a home for my son and I when he comes home.
Does anyone know of places in Washington County that will rent to us. I know I can get an apartment just fine but I need to make sure that my son will be able to stay with me to.
His probation officer has already stated to me that my son can come live with me.
This whole process is stressing me out because no one will rent to a felon it seems.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 11-01-2012, 09:19 PM
GingerM's Avatar
GingerM GingerM is offline
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 5,616
Thanks: 7,549
Thanked 8,240 Times in 3,221 Posts
Default

You might want to look at houses instead of apartments. There are some really cute old houses in WA county that often rent for the same or less than an apartment. Craig's list is a good place to start. If you can talk directly to the landlord, rather than going through a big property management company, a lot of individual landlords will rent to people that the big management companies won't.

I used to have rental properties and I almost exclusively rented to people that the big management companies wouldn't take (for whatever reason - pets, bad credit, low income etc). I was far more concerned that the person renting my property take good care of it than what their background was. A lot of people are out there like me - maybe they inherited a house and they're renting it or they couldn't sell their old house so they're renting it or they bought a duplex and they rent out the other half of it and want a quiet neighbor. Different landlords have different needs they want met. It's just a matter of finding one.

Going through the big property management companies will make finding housing more difficult.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-02-2012, 07:23 AM
Scott's Avatar
Scott Scott is offline
Lifecoach
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,390
Thanks: 3,288
Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,209 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deecah View Post
Hi
I am the mother of a young man who went to prison because his friend made some bad choices and my son was there. He is coming home in February and I am staying with a friend right now and in the process of looking for a home for my son and I when he comes home.
Does anyone know of places in Washington County that will rent to us. I know I can get an apartment just fine but I need to make sure that my son will be able to stay with me to.
His probation officer has already stated to me that my son can come live with me.
This whole process is stressing me out because no one will rent to a felon it seems.
I live in Washington County and there are many places that will rent to you, being a felon is not the end of the road. However, for many places it will depend on what KIND of felonies your son was charged with. Either sexual or drug related felonies are more difficult.

If he doesn't fall in one of those categories, (although Ginger's suggestion to rent a small house is a very good one) you should just be able to rent a regular apartment, appropriate in size for the two of you. If your son isn't going to be on the lease, it may not really matter in many places. Until you get into the process of looking, you may not know what the rules are for each specific complex.
__________________
Trying God's Patience since 1955
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-01-2014, 12:37 PM
BabyB503 BabyB503 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 4
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deecah View Post
Hi
I am the mother of a young man who went to prison because his friend made some bad choices and my son was there. He is coming home in February and I am staying with a friend right now and in the process of looking for a home for my son and I when he comes home.
Does anyone know of places in Washington County that will rent to us. I know I can get an apartment just fine but I need to make sure that my son will be able to stay with me to.
His probation officer has already stated to me that my son can come live with me.
This whole process is stressing me out because no one will rent to a felon it seems.
Did you have any luck finding a place? This is the same issue I'm facing right now. My husband is paroling to Washington County in October. Our child & I currently live in southern Oregon with family & are trying to move up there to have a place ready for him when he gets out. He has a very well paying job with a union & is already set to return to work right away, I work full time making a decent wage as well so money isn't and issue once we're back under the same roof. We've been excellent tenants in the past, but he usually wasn't on the lease either. His PO is telling him that wherever he ends up at he has to be on the lease because they'll be checking into it. He has a felony on his record from 20 yrs ago thats drug related & he is also a tier 1 SO from 15 yrs ago so we have both of those things stacked against us. I've tried everything I can think of but until he gets out & starts working again to prove the kind of income he makes its limiting my options since most places want you to earn 3x the rent & a lot of those places are run by large management companies or are subsidized. I don't know what else to do at this point. They can put him up in transitional housing but that's only for 30 days...then what?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-01-2014, 12:43 PM
Scott's Avatar
Scott Scott is offline
Lifecoach
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,390
Thanks: 3,288
Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,209 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyB503 View Post
...His PO is telling him that wherever he ends up at he has to be on the lease because they'll be checking into it. He has a felony on his record from 20 yrs ago thats drug related & he is also a tier 1 SO from 15 yrs ago so we have both of those things stacked against us. I've tried everything I can think of but until he gets out & starts working again to prove the kind of income he makes its limiting my options since most places want you to earn 3x the rent & a lot of those places are run by large management companies or are subsidized. I don't know what else to do at this point. They can put him up in transitional housing but that's only for 30 days...then what?
First, you might want to find a rental from Craigslist by an owner rather than a large management company. There are certainly owners who will work with you.

Second, you might want to call the Washington CO PO's office and find out if they have a list of felon friendly housing, or places that will work with folks who have his kind of background. If he has to register as an SO, that will always be an issue - but there are places that will rent to you.

If none of that works out, let me know - I may have some other contacts.

Scott
__________________
Trying God's Patience since 1955
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-01-2014, 01:01 PM
BabyB503 BabyB503 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Oregon
Posts: 4
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
First, you might want to find a rental from Craigslist by an owner rather than a large management company. There are certainly owners who will work with you.

Second, you might want to call the Washington CO PO's office and find out if they have a list of felon friendly housing, or places that will work with folks who have his kind of background. If he has to register as an SO, that will always be an issue - but there are places that will rent to you.

If none of that works out, let me know - I may have some other contacts.

Scott
Thank you Scott! I'm B, nice to meet you. He has been in touch with his PO and the only list they had for him was transitional housing. I've also been in touch with a program called Urban Footprints but his list is limited to housing only conducive to him & not a family. Craigslist has been my go to as well as putting myself through a RentWell class for 6 weeks to help with some barriers I face (like poor credit after he got locked up). We might just have to stay in a weekly for a bit (if I can even find one!) until he's working again so that we have a broader range to look at. I've been seeking out homes, duplexes, condos, etc on craigslist as those seem to be privately owned usually but from my understanding the rental market is extremely tight in the Portland area so if you have any barriers it's even worse. I've found one place I looked at but it was pretty run down, they wanted high rent & then with these barriers wanted double deposit plus the guarantee that comes from the rent well program. I felt like the person was taking advantage of the situation & also got the gut feeling that when it came time to move I'd have a difficult time getting that deposit back so I walked away from it. I'm praying & looking at CL every day! Lol
Thanks!
B
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-01-2014, 04:01 PM
GingerM's Avatar
GingerM GingerM is offline
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 5,616
Thanks: 7,549
Thanked 8,240 Times in 3,221 Posts
Default

Quote:
I felt like the person was taking advantage of the situation & also got the gut feeling that when it came time to move I'd have a difficult time getting that deposit back so I walked away from it.
I have a friend who recently moved - no felonies, no credit problems, family but no pets. She had to pay 3 months' rent plus cleaning (refundable) and cleaning (non-refundable) deposits. It is a landlord's market and they can do what they want.

I can't remember the name of the organization, but you might want to see if you can find if Washington county has a "low income" rental agency (through the gov't, not a private company) that might be able to help.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
Scott (09-27-2014)
  #8  
Old 09-27-2014, 10:54 PM
Scott's Avatar
Scott Scott is offline
Lifecoach
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 2,390
Thanks: 3,288
Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,209 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerM View Post
I have a friend who recently moved - no felonies, no credit problems, family but no pets. She had to pay 3 months' rent plus cleaning (refundable) and cleaning (non-refundable) deposits. It is a landlord's market and they can do what they want.

I can't remember the name of the organization, but you might want to see if you can find if Washington county has a "low income" rental agency (through the gov't, not a private company) that might be able to help.
Also, two other Oregon groups to track down. 1. Bridges to Change. http://www.bridgestochange.com and http://www.irontribenetwork.org. I've worked with both groups and feel like they're really quality people.

Lastly, if you feel really stuck - PM me with the details of what/where and price range you are looking for. I have a couple of friends from church who own rental properties and would be happy to ask if anything is available.

Scott
__________________
Trying God's Patience since 1955
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:24 AM.
Copyright © 2001- 2017 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics