Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Valley State Prison (VSP) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Valley State Prison (VSP) - California Topics, Discussions and Information relating to Valley State Prison (VSP), located in Chowchilla, California.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:20 PM

Thanked 1,865 Times in 1,071 Posts
Default VSP Visitation & Dress Code Q & A

If it’s about visiting, dress code or visiting approval it goes here.
This thread is for INFO, Q&A ONLY.

• There are 2 visiting rooms. 1 visiting room is filled up first, then the 2nd visiting room is opened. Visiting rooms are not yard-specific
  • Appointments are made on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 1:00-3:00 by calling 559.665.6100 extension 8950. Appointments can be made up to 4 weeks in advance.
  • VPASS will be implemented in April 2013.
  • The published standards will be followed for dress code. Visiting Guide Occasionally there may be some questions about this and those issues should be brought to the attention of the Visiting Sergeant (Sgt. Frede) or the Visiting Lieutenant (Lt. Bergersen). This is likely the result of having an officer who is working in visiting infrequently and doesn't understand the standards.
  • Donations to the visiting rooms are always welcomed. Lt. Tony Martinez (Community Resource Manager) is the point of contact for donations to the visiting room. Donations can include toys and games for children such as Candyland, Checkers, Chess, etc. Also, Bibles, Qurans, Books of Mormen, etc., can be donated.
VSP requires that all approved visitors update their visiting approvals every 24 months. The inmate does NOT have to sign an update Form 106. Don't wait until you have a visit to find out it's been longer than 24 months! You will be required to fill out the form at that time and it will take much longer to get through processing. Ask your inmate to send you a Form 106 and write "UPDATE" on the top of the form. Fill it out and return it to:
Valley State Prison
Attn: Visiting Sergeant
PO Box 99
Chowchilla, CA 93610

Form 106 is also available online by searching "CDCR Form 106"

Last edited by pj663; 02-20-2013 at 11:03 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2013, 01:17 PM
Coffee Addict

Default VSP Visiting Info Needed (men's)

I know they haven't changed the info in this forum from being a women's facility, but does anyone know how the visiting process works now that it's a men's prison? Do they use VPASS? Do we need to make appointments? If so what days and times do we call and what is the phone number?

Any info would help. The guide in here is old and seems to be very outdated.

Thanks for any info.
The Following User Says Thank You to ~Magnolia~ For This Useful Post:
firkttn (09-10-2013)
Old 01-15-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Magnolia~ View Post
I know they haven't changed the info in this forum from being a women's facility, but does anyone know how the visiting process works now that it's a men's prison? Do they use VPASS? Do we need to make appointments? If so what days and times do we call and what is the phone number?

Any info would help. The guide in here is old and seems to be very outdated.

Thanks for any info.
VSP is not using VPASS at this time but you can call and make an appointment on Mon, Wed, and Thurs from 1-3. The number to call is 559-665-6100 ext. 8950. You can still visit without an appointment but it is a little faster with appointment. The appointment slots are 8, 8:30, and 9 a.m. Until the woman are completely gone from facility men are only able to receive visits on odd days. Hope this is helpful.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CloaknDagger For This Useful Post:
vetvet (02-13-2013), ~Magnolia~ (01-16-2013)
Old 01-16-2013, 10:25 AM
Coffee Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloaknDagger View Post
VSP is not using VPASS at this time but you can call and make an appointment on Mon, Wed, and Thurs from 1-3. The number to call is 559-665-6100 ext. 8950. You can still visit without an appointment but it is a little faster with appointment. The appointment slots are 8, 8:30, and 9 a.m. Until the woman are completely gone from facility men are only able to receive visits on odd days. Hope this is helpful.
Thank you SO much!! Do they have any idea when the women will be gone? It's a long drive and very expensive to only get one visit, so I guess I'll wait until the women are all moved out.

Anyone know when that will happen?

Thanks very much, Cloak for the info!
Old 01-16-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Magnolia~ View Post
Thank you SO much!! Do they have any idea when the women will be gone? It's a long drive and very expensive to only get one visit, so I guess I'll wait until the women are all moved out.

Anyone know when that will happen?

Thanks very much, Cloak for the info!
The estimation for all women to be gone should be by the next 2 weeks.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:07 AM

Default Women All Gone

My hunny called me tonight and said all the women are gone.
CloaknDagger (01-18-2013)
Old 01-19-2013, 07:32 PM

Default What is visiting like at VSP

Hi all. I know everybody is pretty much "newbies" when it comes to visits at VSP seeing how the men haven't been there all that long, but I was wondering if any of you who have been to visit can tell us how visiting is?
The last prison was horrible for processing/visiting - they tripped on just about everything and I'm hoping it won't be so bad here.

Also, how is the food at visiting? Is it all in vending machines or does it get brought in - and is it any good?

I guess that's about it for now, but I'm sure I will come up with plenty more questions before I get myself back out to CA

Thanks in advance for any info/help you can give.

Karren

Last edited by Karren Ann; 01-19-2013 at 07:35 PM..
Old 01-21-2013, 10:03 AM

[quote=Karren Ann;7054058]Hi all. I know everybody is pretty much "newbies" when it comes to visits at VSP seeing how the men haven't been there all that long, but I was wondering if any of you who have been to visit can tell us how visiting is?
The last prison was horrible for processing/visiting - they tripped on just about everything and I'm hoping it won't be so bad here.

Also, how is the food at visiting? Is it all in vending machines or does it get brought in - and is it any good?

I guess that's about it for now, but I'm sure I will come up with plenty more questions before I get myself back out to CA

Thanks in advance for any info/help you can give.

The processing is fast when you have an appointment. Without an appointment you wait for about an hour to get processed. They don't really trip on clothes just the regular no blue, orange, khaki, and so on.
The food is vending machine and it is overpriced and taste horrible.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:18 PM
Coffee Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveront View Post
My hunny called me tonight and said all the women are gone.
Yep, my husband says the women are all gone so visiting is now on both Saturday and Sunday.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:33 PM

Default Thank you for the info

Quote:
The processing is fast when you have an appointment. Without an appointment you wait for about an hour to get processed. They don't really trip on clothes just the regular no blue, orange, khaki, and so on. food is vending machine and it is overpriced and taste horrible.

Thanks for the info - I can't wait to get out there and visit. His brother is going to see him soon so that will be good - he's been kind of bummed out since moving into VSP and away from his old cellie of 8 years. Big adjustment for him.

Hopefully food quality will improve.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:59 AM

Visitation can be scheduled by calling the Visitation Appointment Line at (559) 665-6100 Ext. 8950 on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday from 1:00pm to 3:00pm.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:06 PM

Default Visit appointments

At our previous prison I could email requests for visit times, is there an email address here at VSP that I can do the same for (sometimes it's so hard to get make the calls during the hours they have available).

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorena0617 View Post
Visitation can be scheduled by calling the Visitation Appointment Line at (559) 665-6100 Ext. 8950 on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday from 1:00pm to 3:00pm.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:38 PM

I actually called today to schedule for this weekend..all the Saturdays all the way to march are already booked. I managed to schedule one for Sunday morning. They actually answered quick it wasnt a hassle at all.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:06 PM
Together for Life!!

I was able to make appts for the last weekend of feb they answered pretty quick. Wish they were using VPAss. If I understood correctly I think they book apts up to 4wks in advance can anybody confirm this? Anybody visiting this weekend or next please let us know how it is thx!
Old 02-06-2013, 05:34 PM

Ill b visiting this Sunday. I will post info here
The Following User Says Thank You to Rlsbby4eva For This Useful Post:
Mrs.cs1977 (02-06-2013)
Old 02-10-2013, 01:02 AM

Default Visitor Update forms (Form 106)

VSP requires that all approved visitors update their visiting approvals every 24 months. The inmate does NOT have to sign an update Form 106. Don't wait until you have a visit to find out it's been longer than 24 months! You will be required to fill out the form at that time and it will take much longer to get through processing. Ask your inmate to send you a Form 106 and write "UPDATE" on the top of the form. Fill it out and return it to:
Valley State Prison
Attn: Visiting Sergeant
PO Box 99
Chowchilla, CA 93610

Form 106 is also available online by searching "CDCR Form 106"
The Following User Says Thank You to Brigitte For This Useful Post:
Sliccsgirl09 (02-11-2013)
Old 02-13-2013, 01:09 PM
Coffee Addict

CDCr requires bi-annual renewals. It was time for me (I renew every other January), so I sent one in and hubby got the okay in a week!!

Does anyone know what time we can go on the prison grounds? What do we do if we don't have an appointment - and what do we do if we DO have an appointment? What time does the processing center open, etc.

Any info would be helpful. I'm finally going to see my hubby on the 23 & 24. It's been almost a year and we're getting really excited. I'm always nervous going to a new prison the first time. LOL
Old 02-13-2013, 02:09 PM

They open the office really early but don't start processing til 830. They start processing the ppl with appointments first. But if u get there early u can pull a number n they will process the ppl without an appointment then. I had a 9 am appointment n I got in around 930. It was quick
Hope u have a great visit. Just remember all the rules because they r very particular. But if u have something not acceptable they'll send u to put in the car. N there r no lockers for ppl with a car.

Last edited by Rlsbby4eva; 02-13-2013 at 02:14 PM..
Old 02-15-2013, 12:05 AM

Default Levels housed at VSP

Do they house Level II here? My hubby will be transferred out soon and I hear they will ship him to wherever beds are open. Even he has no idea exactly where he'll be sent, but i thought I can get a head start , get an idea of some of the places where they can send him to
Old 02-15-2013, 08:17 PM

I think they do house level 2s
Old 02-15-2013, 11:17 PM

If you have an appointment, you should be there at 8:30. There are three appointment times, 8:30, 8:45, and 9:00. They call names and keep going until all appointments have been processed. If you miss them calling your name, you will have to take a number and be processed as a non-appointment.

If you do not have an appointment, you can go to Visitor Processing any time after 6am and pick up a number. Then you must leave the prison until 8:30. They will start calling numbers as soon as they have finished appointments.

Appointments are made by phone for up to 4 weeks in advance. Appointments can be made Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 1:00-3:00 by calling 559-665-6100 x8950. You can also make an appointment after your visit in the Visitor Processing center for 2 weeks in advance. VPASS will be coming in April.

Hope this helps.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brigitte For This Useful Post:
firkttn (01-26-2014)
Old 02-16-2013, 01:45 AM

Default One hour wait for inmates to use restroom

During visiting with my husband I was surprised to see that they have to wait an hour on the hour to use the restroom. The officer in the back yells that it is restroom break, so then all the inmates line up to use the restroom. At one o'clock the line is so long that some now have to wait until the other inmates come out so now those inmates are now waiting an hour and fifteen minutes. The ones that don't rush to make the front of the line right away are the disabled. I really see a problem with all this, even though they are inmates I really think there is a problem with this process. Besides it looking degrading, there are people that are not able to hold "it" for that length of time, to hold it till the hour on the hour.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:27 PM

I have visited my hubby in two prisons, and both places they did the same. call out bathroom breaks every hour. So correct me if I'm wrong but I think most If not all do the same.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:18 AM

That's bad !! my hubby was at ctf before n they can use the restroom at any time ... they have to do something about it here at vsp ...
Old 02-19-2013, 12:32 AM

Hello everyone !! have a question ...r we allowed to wear solid grey ...like sweatpants??? thank u n advance :-)
The Following User Says Thank You to 4ever Garcia For This Useful Post:
Donna May (01-22-2015)