Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > Valley State Prison (VSP) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Valley State Prison (VSP) - California Topics, Discussions and Information relating to Valley State Prison (VSP), located in Chowchilla, California.

Old 05-19-2014, 01:55 AM
Praying all are safe :)
Donation Award 

My son is on D as well. And YaY, he received his GED! It was awesome news. Especially because my news to him was that his Papa passed away. You know what I think is weird, though? Is that my Dad died 5/13/14 and my sons out date is 5/13/.....20. jussaying.

Yeah, my son does the same to try and keep busy, except for the Sudoku puzzles. And he used to hate to read...now he even does this Bible study thing where he reads chapters and answers questions. Then he mails the answers in and they grade it and send him back his score on a little certificate thing. I think it's great. I mean he has always believed in the higher power...but just the reading and then actually having to write the answers in sentences just cuz he wants to? Boy I hope he continues to change in the positive. With him having many years to go, though, it scares me.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2014, 09:39 PM

So sorry to hear about your dad. That's great he got his GED, I thinks they can do college also if they want although Im pretty sure we have to pay if they do that. I wonder if they are cellies? My son was just saying that he had heard that D yard was going to become the re- entry hub and only for people with 2 yrs or less. So they may end up moving him to a different yard . Who knows though . It's funny about the numbers . I believe that certain days are pivotal in our lives. My sons birth day 3/6 was also the day my mom died and my dads birthday was the date my son got arrested . My husbands birth day was the day I met him and the same day my nephew died . (All different years but still weird) I also have to believe they will only grow and better themselves and I think God put him here to save his life. Your right it is very scary and some times I have anxiety attacks just thinking about it . Then I have to remember faith and fear do not mix . Stay strong

Last edited by 2muchmisery4me; 05-19-2014 at 09:42 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to 2muchmisery4me For This Useful Post:
tialooey (06-08-2014)
Old 05-19-2014, 09:48 PM
''TILL DEATH DO US PART''

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchmisery4me View Post
Not a lot of people post on here but a few do. What would you like to know.?My son has been here about 2 mo so I don't know a whole lot . As far as I have seen its a level 2 SNY for the whole prison. They are bunking 8 to a pod. It seems to be pretty mellow as most just want to do their time and be left alone. He was able to call the day after he arrived and can get 1/4 packages and mail even before seeing counselor. . It took 2 weeks for my approval over visiting. Hope that helps let me know if you want to know anything else
Were u already approved to see him at another prison ? Just was wondering when they could call (you answered that) visiting ,family visits,can they keep all their stuff cd's,electronics?

faith, hope and love.
But the greatest of these is love.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:51 AM

My son was at Wasco reception before he came here. That is the only other prison he was in besides county jail waiting on sentencing. I never got approved at Wasco even though he was there for 7 weeks. But it only took two weeks once he got to VSP to be approved, luckily I had made a copy of my application and just sent it in to VSP. Visiting is good . I don't have anything to compare to except behind glass at county. They seem relaxed here and I see people holding hands . Low coffee tables . They have games and cards to play. Food in vending machines a little pricy. 7 dollars for sandwiches or salads . Sodas 1.50 chips 1.50. My son loves to eat when we visit. Haha that's why I know the prices. Yes they can have electronics here. His should follow him. My son says he's the only one without a TV in his pod. They do have family visits here but we have not tried that. Good luck let us know when he arrives. Just an FYI they told my son he was going to Avenal and then he calls us and he's at VSP. You just never know . Hope he ends up here it seems like a good one if they have to be in prison. 8 men to a pod and they have a bathroom/shower in the pod that they all share. They get yard all day M-f. . Only get yard on weekend if you work. That is my sons only complaint 2 and 1/2 mo and no job or programs yet.
sac_girl (05-20-2014)
Old 05-20-2014, 11:17 AM

My son just called this morning to let me know he was going to VSP. He has been at CIM since coming out of reception. He has about 1 1/2 years left. He seems pretty happy about going to VSP based on what he has heard from others. We are up near Chico and have had to fly down to visit at Chino, so he will be withing driving distance now. His 81 year old Grandmother will be able to visit him and his sister, who has not been able to visit due to finances. He has been taking college classes thru Coastline Community College at CIM and hopes to be able to continue this at VSP. I am hoping someone knows the mailing address for the Education Dept at VSP. He said his education proctor at Chino will actually go out to Coastline on his behalf and update them on where is is so he can continue classes uninterupted. He is already signed up for summer courses and is hoping this transfer will not affect that. I have not been able to find and education address for VSP though. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-20-2014, 02:55 PM

I don't know about an address, except to the prison and put attention education dept . The phone number is 559 665-6100. Press 2 for inmate services and then I believe it is 5 for education. I called on a Tues around 115 pm and got a person who put me thru to education coordinator. He said they have 200 slots for community college and 150 people on a wait list right now. He said the inmate needs to put in a request to him to get on wait list. Hopefully since your son is already enrolled maybe he can get right in . I would call him. He seemed very nice. Good luck
Old 05-20-2014, 09:30 PM

Thank you so much for replying! I appreciate you calling them. I will let Robert know. I hope they will let him continue too. He is already registered for the classes and hopefully, with the help of the CIM edication Proctor, there won't be any interuption.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:02 AM
Donation Award 

Smile

Quote:
So sorry to hear about your dad. That's great he got his GED, I thinks they can do college also if they want although Im pretty sure we have to pay if they do that. I wonder if they are cellies? My son was just saying that he had heard that D yard was going to become the re- entry hub and only for people with 2 yrs or less. So they may end up moving him to a different yard . Who knows though . It's funny about the numbers . I believe that certain days are pivotal in our lives. My sons birth day 3/6 was also the day my mom died and my dads birthday was the date my son got arrested . My husbands birth day was the day I met him and the same day my nephew died . (All different years but still weird) I also have to believe they will only grow and better themselves and I think God put him here to save his life. Your right it is very scary and some times I have anxiety attacks just thinking about it . Then I have to remember faith and fear do not mix . Stay strong
Whoa, the number thing sure happened a lot in your family...that is weird, huh? And you're right about the D yard becoming a hub. They have already moved someone out of my son's cell. And I'm sure it won't be long til they move him as well. Which is really a bummer cuz they all get along pretty well. I wonder if his lifer cellmates are going to be moved too (I'll ask him that tomorrow). Wish they could all be moved together.

And I agree that being there saved my son's life as well. And thank you for your wise and encouraging words. I truly appreciate that.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:15 AM

Yea sometimes I get a little nervous around our birthdays haha. I know what you mean about them moving. It's nice when they are with people they get along with . My son just moved into a new pod last week so he was just getting settled in with his new cellies when he found this out , oh well just got to roll with punches
tialooey (10-25-2014)
Old 05-21-2014, 02:32 PM

Any suggestions on decent hotels ..hubby arrived today...YAAAAAY!!!

faith, hope and love.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:08 PM

You can stay in either Madera. Or Chowchilla. Google "hotels in madera "and about 13 come up. Madera is a larger city. Chowchilla Days Inn was about 58 dollars the night we stayed. Price varies depending on weekend. I liked this one because there is a Restaurant next door that is just across the parking lot . It looks funky on the outside but had a really good steak. I think it was called Farnelli or something like that. They have a bar in the back if your into that. I had a glass of wine and didn't have to drive . Also a gas station next door. Continental breakfast in the am . There are nicer ones around but cost more . Good luck .Hope you get to go see him soon . Looks like it's not to far of a drive for you . It's 4 and 1/2 hrs each way for us, but I would rather he be at this one than most of the others.
sac_girl (05-21-2014)
Old 05-21-2014, 06:53 PM

Quote:
You can stay in either Madera. Or Chowchilla. Google "hotels in madera "and about 13 come up. Madera is a larger city. Chowchilla Days Inn was about 58 dollars the night we stayed. Price varies depending on weekend. I liked this one because there is a Restaurant next door that is just across the parking lot . It looks funky on the outside but had a really good steak. I think it was called Farnelli or something like that. They have a bar in the back if your into that. I had a glass of wine and didn't have to drive . Also a gas station next door. Continental breakfast in the am . There are nicer ones around but cost more . Good luck .Hope you get to go see him soon . Looks like it's not to far of a drive for you . It's 4 and 1/2 hrs each way for us, but I would rather he be at this one than most of the others.
Thank u ..yes i already made my appts for this weekend

faith, hope and love.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
My drive is 2. 1/2hrs

faith, hope and love.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:48 PM

Sac girl have fun, just saw my son last weekend it was great. Just got a phone call he got moved to c-yard. Ugh I hate when he moves till he gets settled in . They are transforming the D -yard to re-entry inmates only with 2yrs or less .
sac_girl (05-22-2014)
Old 05-22-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Sac girl have fun, just saw my son last weekend it was great. Just got a phone call he got moved to c-yard. Ugh I hate when he moves till he gets settled in . They are transforming the D -yard to re-entry inmates only with 2yrs or less .
Thank u .. that's were my hubby is and he has a little over 4 years .maybe they will be moving him again .have u ever stayed at super 8 in madera?

faith, hope and love.

Last edited by sac_girl; 05-22-2014 at 07:40 PM..
Old 05-22-2014, 10:32 PM

No ,but it didn't look to bad on-line , let me know if you try it. I only tried the Days Inn in Chowchilla. I'm going to try one of them in Madera next time since there are no shops or movie theaters in Chowchilla.
sac_girl (05-23-2014)
Old 05-23-2014, 09:03 AM

Quote:
No ,but it didn't look to bad on-line , let me know if you try it. I only tried the Days Inn in Chowchilla. I'm going to try one of them in Madera next time since there are no shops or movie theaters in Chowchilla.
Days inn was all booked so was holiday inn

faith, hope and love.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:01 PM
Donation Award 

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sac_girl View Post
Thank u .. that's were my hubby is and he has a little over 4 years .maybe they will be moving him again .have u ever stayed at super 8 in madera?
Hi sacgirl, Just want to say if you are coming from Sacramento then Madera would be the city after Chowchilla. Try Merced, that's about 18 miles before Chowchilla.
Old 05-24-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tialooey View Post
Hi sacgirl, Just want to say if you are coming from Sacramento then Madera would be the city after Chowchilla. Try Merced, that's about 18 miles before Chowchilla.
I ended up staying at chowchilla inn..not to bad but wouldn't be my first choice..I just wanted to stay in town and days inn was sold out.

faith, hope and love.
Old 05-24-2014, 11:43 PM
Donation Award 

Yeah, my husband and I usually just leave in the morning since we are only about 2 1/2 hours away; but we're staying in Merced at the Courtyard Marriot right now for tomorrows visit. Kinda pricey but nice.
The Following User Says Thank You to tialooey For This Useful Post:
2muchmisery4me (05-26-2014)
Old 06-08-2014, 07:35 PM

Default Anyone with a loved one on the EOP yard?

Is there anyone with a loved one on the EOP yard that can tell how it is there? Do they sign up for phone calls like the other yards? Do they have a good program, access to yard and the EOP programming? Just curious what it is like. There is a possibility we may end up here. Thank you!
Old 07-25-2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
2Much.....My husband ad I are staying in that Motel right now. Looks like they are soing some remofleing....a number of the rooms at the back have soors off and look like they are being painted. We Just had dinner at that restaurant too and the food was goo. Everyone was nice, but the service was a bit slow. We had to call the police department about a horse lefte in closed horse trailer in the beating hot 100+ temperatures while hi owner was inside the bar doing whatever he was doing for at least 4 hours. Unbelieveably, the officer came out and looked at the horse, went in andtalked to the owner who told him that ir had water and he was checking on it every 30 minutes (funny after 4 hours we didnr see anyone check on it once. And a container of hot water inside metal sweat box is not going to a horse comfortable as safe. It was whineying it's poor head of constantly. Adter the officer left I called the CPD back to find out the status ans they said since it had water and the owner said he was being checked on there was nothing they could do... I do have a question you might be able to answer. We are going to visit tomorrow and it is brutally hot. Can you tell what the visitiing facility is like? Big air-conditioned room? Small sweatbox? Indoor/outdoor?
Old 07-26-2014, 06:05 AM

Indoors and air conditioned.
Old 07-13-2015, 04:43 PM

My son should be transferring here in a couple of weeks. Just a few questions.
1. I heard you have non contact when you first arrive?
2. Do they have an outside yard?
3. Is the vending machine food any better than what I have been reading about

This is his first experience in prison except for being in Reception in San Quentin since April.

Last edited by ImissDarin; 07-13-2015 at 04:46 PM.. Reason: sent for I finished
Old 07-13-2015, 11:26 PM

1. I may be wrong, but I think you should get contact visits right away.
2. Inmates have an outside yard where they can socialize and work out. The visiting areas have patios, but they are not open for us to use during visiting.
3. The food in the visiting room vending machines is decent, but is generally overpriced. Some prices have dropped in recent months, but it is still quite expensive.

Check out the IFC website at www.vsp-ifc.org for additional resources and answers to your questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissDarin View Post
My son should be transferring here in a couple of weeks. Just a few questions.
1. I heard you have non contact when you first arrive?
2. Do they have an outside yard?
3. Is the vending machine food any better than what I have been reading about

This is his first experience in prison except for being in Reception in San Quentin since April.