Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Georgia that do not fit into any other Georgia sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 02-16-2018, 09:16 PM

Question Marrying at a County Jail in Georgia?

Me and my fiancé was suppose to have been married of Feb 14, 2018 but instead he has be locked up in Whitfield County Jail. Does anyone happen to know what the steps are to get married while he is in jail. does the county even allow marriage, or is it better to wait until he gets to where is is going to finish out his sentence and then start the process. Thanks for you information.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2018, 10:19 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,827 Times in 16,500 Posts

I'm not familiar with Georgia / County Jail policies...usually the answer is no at the county level. You may have to wait until he goes to his home prison or is released from county.

You can call and ask them if you'd like. If you do, please post here and let us know what they say, so we'll know for sure one way or the other.

Welcome to PTO!

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
Sarianna (02-17-2018)
Old 05-21-2018, 02:22 PM

hi, My wife and I had been planning our wedding for this month, sadly she got arrested in april and had a probation hold on her and I could NOT get her out. As I said, we had planned our wedding for may, she got arrested in April. I didnt want to wait to become man and wife and neither did she. I asked at the jail and was told absolutely NOT! they simply DID NOT allow that to happen in any case. i was undeterred. God laid on my heart to not give up. I made phone calls to jail officials, the sheriff, the chaplians, anybody else I could think. EVERYONE said there was NO WAY it would be allowed. I learned that in 1987 the Supreme court had ruled that marriage was a fundamental right and even prisoners retained that right. I continued making calls, and writing letters and even went so far as to go apply for our marriage license. Turns out our home county, (not the one she was in jail in) is one of 2 in Georgia that will issue a marriage license to a coupe without both being present. I had to carry the applcation to her at the jail and request that she be allowed to sign it and have it notarized. Again, I was told NO. I explained that this was a legal document and she had protected rights to all court proceedings and legal paperwork. That statement turned a few heads. I was told that she would have to file a request to have it notarized and IF it was approved I would be contacted and allowed to bring it in. The next day I got that call. I carried it back to jail and was allowed to leave it for hr signature and notary service. When I picked it up the next day, I was laughed at by jail staff who said I was wasting my time that there was simply no way this would ever happen. I persisted and continued making calls and on a thursday I got a call from the jail adminstrator who rerquested I come to his office so we could talk.
When I got there he told me that they have never allowed anyone to marry there and this was way out of the realm of possibilities, But he could tell I wasn't going to give up so he was going o allow us a special visit, in private, with a wedding officiant to perform the service! I cried on the spot! The arraingements were made and we married May 1 at 10 am.
She has since been transferred to prison and will likely be serving a year or so on an 18 month sentence. I cant say that this approach would work in every case, but it shows that it CAN be done at times, dont give up!

Last edited by jydogbob; 05-21-2018 at 02:24 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to jydogbob For This Useful Post:
patchouli (05-21-2018)