Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Georgia that do not fit into any other Georgia sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 02-03-2019, 09:11 AM
Banned

Default 1 year in confinement 4years probation: Stay in County? Go to prison?

I have a question my guy is in county jail his next court date April thatíll be 6 months sitting in county from what the information I gathered heís looking at 1 year in confinement 4years probation,will he go to one of the prison for his sentence Iím worried because I donít have transportation to visit him if he goes to a different jail also he has another warrant in another state once he get out will that state pick him up so he could be prosecute? How could they extraditite him to another state if heís most definitely going to be on probation the state heís in the county at... So all together heís looking at 2 years... itís gonna be hard without him!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-2019, 09:25 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,668 Times in 13,048 Posts

It will depend on the jurisdictions, and the status of the warrant when he is ready to be released from prison #1. He has from now to then to deal with it by contacting the State prosecutors/police that have filed it.

If nothing changes, they could file a detainer, which would mean he would not be released, but be held at prison # 1 until the warrant folks came to get him. If no detainer, he would be released to probation with the warrant still pending and his PO would be involved.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
It will depend on the jurisdictions, and the status of the warrant when he is ready to be released from prison #1. He has from now to then to deal with it by contacting the State prosecutors/police that have filed it.

If nothing changes, they could file a detainer, which would mean he would not be released, but be held at prison # 1 until the warrant folks came to get him. If no detainer, he would be released to probation with the warrant still pending and his PO would be involved.
Heís in county not prison only inmates serving more than 2 years I believe are transferred to the state prison we havenít heard anything from the other state with the warrant heís basically just sitting there till April next court date thatíll be 6 1/2 months...
Old 02-03-2019, 02:38 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,847 Times in 16,510 Posts

It took My Mr over a year (more than once) to get through the court system; then a few more months to be transferred to prison. Also, here in KY, Class C & D felons with 10 years or less can do their time in a county facility. County sucks. Prison is so much better for him: more / better programs / classes & opportunities to get extra good time, more yard time, longer visits, contact visits.

But, yeah, your fella will have less than a year to serve after getting jail credit (if applicable, since he has a detainer). Best guess is that he'll just stay in county

If you can find out what the warrant is for, it may be able to be taken care of before his release date rolls around

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-03-2019), GingerM (02-04-2019), miamac (02-03-2019), Phelly (02-04-2019)
Old 02-03-2019, 03:12 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,668 Times in 13,048 Posts

If no detainer is filed, and if whichever jail that has him locked up at the moment doesn't run a criminal records check during their release preparations, he will be released, but the warrant will still be active.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:38 PM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 22,793 Times in 8,071 Posts

Mine did three years in county awaiting trial/sentencing. It could be worse.
All the advice below is true. Depending on the second charge (outstanding warrant) and the amount of his sentencing on charge one, some districts will consider time served. But don't count on that, it's just one of the myriad of options. Typically you'll see someone with short sentences serve out the first one, get a release date and then be picked up from county and taken to the next jurisdiction for sentencing/time. While you have this time, make sure he has nothing else outstanding anywhere. For example, mine has been down 16'ish years, still has an outstanding mis. in his county of arrest. You can clear those things up while he's in county and not have the additional headache when he is finally released.

Not being able to visit is hard. But there are usually phone calls, sometimes video visits and always letters. Speak up about your feelings and keep it real, you can get through this.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
GingerM (02-04-2019), patchouli (02-03-2019), Phelly (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 12:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
It took My Mr over a year (more than once) to get through the court system; then a few more months to be transferred to prison. Also, here in KY, Class C & D felons with 10 years or less can do their time in a county facility. County sucks. Prison is so much better for him: more / better programs / classes & opportunities to get extra good time, more yard time, longer visits, contact visits.

But, yeah, your fella will have less than a year to serve after getting jail credit (if applicable, since he has a detainer). Best guess is that he'll just stay in county

If you can find out what the warrant is for, it may be able to be taken care of before his release date rolls around
he has1 felony, convicted felony with gun 2 misdeamor obstruction class a and weed class J for this case. the warrant for the other state is he sold weed to a cop that state already gave him a time I think he said 14 months but he ran so he wouldn't have to do time I think the state request a hold on him which is fine Im accepting he's gonna do 2yrs away from me
Old 02-04-2019, 12:12 PM
Banned

Another question can he do his time at once or that's just not how it works
Old 02-04-2019, 12:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Mine did three years in county awaiting trial/sentencing. It could be worse.
All the advice below is true. Depending on the second charge (outstanding warrant) and the amount of his sentencing on charge one, some districts will consider time served. But don't count on that, it's just one of the myriad of options. Typically you'll see someone with short sentences serve out the first one, get a release date and then be picked up from county and taken to the next jurisdiction for sentencing/time. While you have this time, make sure he has nothing else outstanding anywhere. For example, mine has been down 16'ish years, still has an outstanding mis. in his county of arrest. You can clear those things up while he's in county and not have the additional headache when he is finally released.

Not being able to visit is hard. But there are usually phone calls, sometimes video visits and always letters. Speak up about your feelings and keep it real, you can get through this.
For my state GA being held in the county is considered time served I been reading my state law I feel good about that next October he should be walking out to handle his old warrant I have no idea about that New York laws
Old 02-04-2019, 12:21 PM
Banned

I asked around and also Google some people here actually got 6months being a convicted felony possessing a gun also the gun was registered to me
Old 02-05-2019, 06:35 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Award 

Donation Award 

Thanked 8,245 Times in 3,223 Posts

He won't be able to serve both the gun and the marijuana charge at the same time because it's two different states (unless there's a state agreement, which can sometimes, but rarely, happen).

I doubt he'll go to state prison if they credit him with time served in county and he only has 6 months remaining on the sentence. Unless he was on parole at the time, in which case he may end up back in prison. The other state? That will start the process all over again when he ends his time in jail.
The Following User Says Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
Phelly (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 07:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerM View Post
He won't be able to serve both the gun and the marijuana charge at the same time because it's two different states (unless there's a state agreement, which can sometimes, but rarely, happen).

I doubt he'll go to state prison if they credit him with time served in county and he only has 6 months remaining on the sentence. Unless he was on parole at the time, in which case he may end up back in prison. The other state? That will start the process all over again when he ends his time in jail.
From what I know heís not on parole or probation his past crimes are only small drug crimes, Iím praying heíll do all his time in ga county if not heíll be heading to riker island!! which terrifies me