Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida Prisons & Jails > Florida - Region 1 Facilities
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida - Region 1 Facilities Discussion and information for the following facilities: Apalachee-E CI, Apalachee-W CI, Bay CF, Blackwater River CF, Calhoun CI, Century CI, Franklin CI, Gadsden CF, Gadsden Re-Entry Center, Graceville CF, Gulf CI, Gulf CI-Annex, Holmes CI Jackson CI Jefferson CI Liberty CI NWFRC NWFRC Annex Okaloosa CI Quincy Annex Santa Rosa CI Santa Rosa Annex Wakulla CI Wakulla CI Annex Walton CI

Old 08-26-2009, 07:44 PM

Ben's Girl,
How was it then? What are the conditions like? Anything I need to be concerened about? Thanks, Jan
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2009, 09:26 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 6,544 Times in 3,575 Posts

Ben didn't really have anything to complain about except for the lack of outside recreational activities. They had recently built another dorm on top of the baseball field so not much in the way of sports to do outside, but they did have an indoor basketball court. And although DOC took out most of the weights and machines, Bay did not.

The visitation area is inside only so smokers are up a creek. Foods and drinks are vending machine only and rather pricey. Be prepared to buy your food as soon as you get there too because it's gone by the afternoon and not stocked until visitation is over for the next day. They do not begin processing visitors until exactly 8:00 am, but they are usually pretty quick about it. Sometimes Ben even beat me to the visitation room. If there was ever any cards or games available, they usually ended up missing by the next visit weekend. We never could figure out what was happening to the items that were being donated.

The most important thing to remember about visiting is that Bay is on an every other weekend visit schedule. Inmates are assigned a weekend based on odd/even ending numbers of their DC numbers. Evens visit one weekend and odds the next. You can only visit on his assigned weekend unless you receive approval for an "out of cycle" visit. An out of cycle visit is any visit that is on a weekend other than his assigned weekend. Also holiday visits are a little messed up because of this. Say he is on the odd weekend and their weekend DOES NOT fall on Labor Day weekend. You can't visit on the weekend before Labor Day, but everyone can visit on Labor Day itself, but if he were an even number you would be able to visit all 3 days.

Although the visit schedule takes some getting used and is a pain keeping up with and the phone rates are higher, the facility itself is not too bad. If you have any specific questions, I will happy to try to answer them for you.

"To thine own self be true" - William Shakespeare

He's home!!!!

Last edited by ben's girl; 08-26-2009 at 09:28 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's girl For This Useful Post:
Jbaby4Jailbirdy (09-25-2009)
Old 09-25-2009, 02:24 PM
lovesick lovebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by bovine1952 View Post
Good Morning,
Just wanting to know if anyone has a loved one at Bay County near Panama City?
Well, my boyfriend is there right now, and he was there once before. He mostly complained about the food, being hungry and hating bologna sandwiches, but other than that it didn't sound too bad. And he talked about them going out to work or pick up trash. I don't know much else about the facility though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's girl View Post
The most important thing to remember about visiting is that Bay is on an every other weekend visit schedule. Inmates are assigned a weekend based on odd/even ending numbers of their DC numbers.
That's interesting about the numbers, I'll have to find out if he's an even or an odd.

Last edited by Jbaby4Jailbirdy; 09-25-2009 at 02:44 PM..
Old 02-03-2010, 09:48 AM

Default Bay CF has/getting a Faith-based dorm???

I spoke to the person in Tally that deals with the Faith-Based programs. My bf put in for it and she made a comment that he would probably go to Bay. Since when did Bay have a Faith-Based/Self-Improvement Dorm? Or is this something that is coming. I am confused. And so much for thinking he couldn't get any further away then where he was, Bay would be further.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:40 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Donation Award 

I seem to recall that Bay does have a faith based dorm. I think it's one of the few open bay dorms they have as most are 2 man cells. I'll ask Ben when he calls.

He's home!!!!
Old 02-03-2010, 10:07 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Donation Award 

Bay does have a faith based dorm, but I wrong about it being an open bay; it's a 2 man cell dorm like most of the others. Nothing to do with custody levels; that's just the way Bay was built.

Ben left there a couple of years ago so not sure how things are now, but I can tell you visitation is every other weekend and the weekend is assigned to the inmate by odd/even DC numbers. You are only allowed to visit on the weekend he is assigned unless you are granted an "out of cycle" visit. Everyone is allowed to visit on holidays, but if it's not your weekend whenever the holiday is then you do not get the 3 day visit, only the actual holiday. No outside VP and no canteen. All food is in a vending machine and it's much pricier than DOC canteens (bring plenty of 1 dollar bills and change). They do have a lot more programs than DOC prisons and most of them are still available.

He's home!!!!
Old 02-04-2010, 12:23 PM

Thanks for the info. I live so far away from Bay the every other weekend thing isn't a big deal. Not sure how much my bf would like the cell thing, he has been in open bay for years. And I've heard the phone calls are much more too.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:38 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Donation Award 

They are more expensive. They do still use CBS, though. He will also have to resubmit his phone list once he gets there. It took us about 4 days for him to be able to call. Although back then DOC was using MCI so it could've been because of that, but I think it's because they have a completely different phone system.

He's home!!!!
Old 10-03-2011, 03:39 PM
Donation Award 

Update on Bay CF - my son was just transferred from there 2 weeks ago and evidently things have changed since the last post on here as they were not doing the every other weekend visitation anymore, you could visit every weekend. You go in and take your shoes off and put them in a bin and then go through a metal detector. You have to take in your ID and you can take 1 car key in and that's it. You can take up to $50 in but it has to be $1, $5, or silver change and in a clear container (I used a zip loc baggie) You have to sign in with your name, address, year and make of your car and tag number. They put your shoes through a detector and then take you into a room where you are scanned and patted down and women have to "shake out their bra" to make sure you are not taking anything in. There is still only inside visitation with vending machines but they have a smaller area at the back of the visitation room which is reserved for families with children and they have a pretty good assortment of toys and books for the kids to play with. I was getting ready to send a box of toys up there for the visitation room when my son was transferred so now I will see if they will take them at Graceville WC where he got transferred. All in all, the staff were very nice and helpful. When I took my parents up there, my Dad forgot his ID in Orlando and they let me have a copy faxed right to the prison so he could go in. I wish my son was back there now.
The Following User Says Thank You to slcjd92 For This Useful Post:
callin416 (08-18-2012)
Old 10-03-2011, 04:47 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Donation Award 

slcjd92, How are the phone rates now? When Ben was there they were extremely high, atleast for out of state calls. Mine were $9.75 for 15 minutes.

Is sending money still the same? Cashier check or money order made out to the inmate?

Ben wishes he was still there too. He had just moved there on a good adjustment transfer and not even a year later he was moved by DOC.

He's home!!!!
Old 10-15-2011, 10:20 AM
Donation Award 

Ben's Girl: Securus is the phone company and my son's calls to me were $1.95 for 15 minutes so I was not too upset at the costs. I set up an account with Securus and would check online to see when the account was getting low and send in a payment ahead of them sending me a statement to avoid the statement fee. Since I am in Central Florida, I don't know about out of state charges.

Sending money is the same - I sent money orders made out to ITF for inmates name and I also put the inmate's number on it to be sure there was no confusion. He would get a receipt for the deposit.

I was really happy with the facility and in fact when we visited last year at Christmas, they gave each of the kids visiting a teddy bear from their Dad's.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:25 AM
Donation Award 

I just talked to my son and he said before he left Bay, he was able to sign his daughter up for the Angel tree so she will have a present sent or delivered to her from him for Christmas. I know last year they also had a program available for the Dad's to read a storybook to their kids and record it and then the book and the recording were sent to the kids for Christmas. I bought one of the Hallmark recordable books and sent my son copies of the pages and he skipped dinner one night and called me so we could have him read the story to his daughter and I used speaker phone to record it for her. She absolutely loves it because now she can hear Daddy's voice any time she wants. I am going to do the same thing this year with a different book.
The Following User Says Thank You to slcjd92 For This Useful Post:
PeteysMom (04-09-2012)
Old 10-25-2011, 07:10 PM

Default Lost and Confused!

Hi there! Was just surfing the threads on Bay Correctional in Panama City, Fl. My fiancee was just transfered there 2 dys ago. I have'nt heard from him yet, and am getting worried. Although I am sure he is o.k. I am new to all of this and from central Florida as well. Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanx!
Old 10-25-2011, 08:34 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Donation Award 

He may have to resubmit his phone list so that may be why you haven't heard from him. That's what happened with us years ago when Ben moved there. I didn't hear from him for 4 days.

He's home!!!!
Old 11-18-2011, 07:40 PM

My son is at Bay CF, and he likes it. He is getting a bit of a run around trying to get enrolled in the HVAC program. He is happy they have heat in the winter and ac in the summer. He says the food isn't bad (especially compared with NWFRC) the phone calls aren't too bad, it runs about 1.25 for him to call home. We are in SE Alabama just outside of Dothan, so it's an hour and half trip but visitation was nice, nothing bad at all.
I wish he were closer, like in Graceville, Fl but we aren't complaining (remember how good heat feels in winter, and how good ac feels in our blistering summers). His release date is 11/5/13 today. I hope he can get in and complete the HVAC classes then go to Tallyho for WRC.
We are hoping to make the best of the next 2 years and gain from it, since we have lost so much.
BTW, when I add money to Securus, they charge around 8.95 handling fee, so if you put 50.00 on the prepaid account, you actually spend 58.95. I hope all of my ramblings help.
Becky- his mom
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rebecca22557 For This Useful Post:
ben's girl (11-19-2011), callin416 (08-18-2012)
Old 11-19-2011, 12:20 AM
Administrator Emeritus

Donation Award 

It took Ben awhile to get in the CAD class there and then DOC moved him before he could even finish. Grrr

Ben enjoyed the AC and the heat too. He said the AC was very cold in his dorm and he would have to wear his sweatshirt in the summer. Better than being miserable.

I also liked the fact that he could call until 2:00 am on Friday and Saturday nights. I freaked out the first time he called that late because I thought he was sneaking to use the phone. lol On the morning that I would head down to visit he would call me at 1:30 am to wish me a safe trip; I always left at 2:00 am. Just being able to talk to him before I left was great!

They also had movie night on Friday nights in the dorm. And it would be a fairly recent movie.

He's home!!!!
Old 11-21-2011, 03:19 PM

And they received the quarterly packages Sat. My son was so happy Now I gotta hit the stores for the clothing we can send him.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babygirl006 View Post
HI,

DOES ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE A LOVED ONE AT BAY CORRECTIONAL IN PANAMA CITY FLORIDA??? MY SWEETIE IS THERE AND I AM LOOKING FOR A SOMEONE THAT I COULD POSSIBLY BECOME FRIENDS WITH?? LET ME KNOW.

THANKS,
hi my husband is there and it has been a nightmare for me, i havent been able to see him
Old 12-07-2011, 07:34 AM

Doreen1, my son is there but I haven't been able to visit him. However my hubby did get a visit. . . hoping for better luck asap
Old 03-17-2012, 03:10 PM

Default Bay CF

My baby has been there for several months now. I know this is an old thread. Does anyone else on PTO have a loved one at Bay CF?
Old 03-23-2012, 09:54 PM

My son is still there. He's finally been moved to the "study" dorm, which is 2 person rooms whereas the other dorms were open bay. He is happy. They stay busy studying, it's been good for him. He's hoping his custody level goes down and he can go to work release in the next 2-3 months.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:00 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Donation Award 

Does anyone know what sports Bay has now? When Ben was there the only thing available was indoor basketball. They didn't have anything outside at that time as they built a dorm on top of the baseball field. He also loves to run but there wasn't any area outside for that either. Has anything been added?

He's home!!!!
Old 06-27-2012, 12:08 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's girl View Post
Does anyone know what sports Bay has now? When Ben was there the only thing available was indoor basketball. They didn't have anything outside at that time as they built a dorm on top of the baseball field. He also loves to run but there wasn't any area outside for that either. Has anything been added?
When my son was there last year they had a track to run but often closed due to lack of CO's to watch it and they had weights as well, pulley weights not free weights. That is where he got started lifting weights and running so it was good for him. He's at Graceville work camp now and all they have is the track and stationary chin up bars and push up bars so he is making do.

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength.
Lao Tzu
Old 06-28-2012, 08:14 PM

Default Visiting Bay CF

Ok this is my first time to visit him in prison. So excited! I have read many threads about visiting attire, but I was wanting info on Bay. How are the CO's? What are the rules? Contact? Outside area? Vending machines. Sorry so many questions, I just want the visit to go smoothly. Thanks for any help in advance.

Sent from my iPad using PrisonTalk
Old 07-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Administrator Emeritus

Donation Award 

It's been awhile since I've been to Bay but they did have vending machines only and the prices were higher than DOC canteens. There was not outside area either so they were smoke-free at visitation long before the rest of DOC. Not much area to walk around inside as well. Bay was our first experience with having to sit across the table from each other. Not sure if it's still this way, but that's from personal experience visiting there a few years ago.

He's home!!!!