Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FLORIDA > Florida Prisons & Jails > Florida - Region 1 Facilities
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Florida - Region 1 Facilities Discussion and information for the following facilities: Apalachee-E CI, Apalachee-W CI, Bay CF, Blackwater River CF, Calhoun CI, Century CI, Franklin CI, Gadsden CF, Gadsden Re-Entry Center, Graceville CF, Gulf CI, Gulf CI-Annex, Holmes CI Jackson CI Jefferson CI Liberty CI NWFRC NWFRC Annex Okaloosa CI Quincy Annex Santa Rosa CI Santa Rosa Annex Wakulla CI Wakulla CI Annex Walton CI

Old 10-19-2004, 08:06 PM

Default Calhoun Correctional Institution Q&A

Calhoun Correctional Institution
o 19562 SE Inst. Drive
Blountstown, Florida 32424
o (850) 237-6500
o http://www.dc.state.fl.us/facilities/region1/105.html
o FAX: (850) 237-6508
o E-Mail: calhounci@mail.dc.state.fl.us
o Chaplain's Office - (850) 237-6580
Directions: From I-10 take Exit 152 (SR-69 South) approximately 20 miles and enter city limits of Blountstown. Hwy-69 will intersect with Hwy-71. Take Hwy-71 south through the city of Blountstown. Upon departing city limits take 69A to the left. Institution is approximately 2 miles down 69A on the right.

Historical Information: This facility was established in 1988 and houses adult male inmates. Calhoun Work Camp is under supervision of Calhoun C.I.

Total Staff (on 7/11): 333

Open Bay Housing Units 8

Cell Housing Units 1

Room Housing Units 0

Maximum Capacity 1,354

Population Gender Male

Adult or Youthful Adult

Facility Level 4

Self Contained Housing Units Yes

Designated Confinement Space Yes

Custody Grades Close, Medium, Minimum, Community

Medical Grades 1 through 3

Psychological Grades 1 through 2

Wheelchair Capabilities No

Hearing Impaired Capabilities No

Academic Programs:
• Adult Basic Education
• General Educational Development (GED)

Vocational Programs:
•Printing/Graphic Arts/Web Design Services

Substance Abuse Programs:
•None at this time

Chaplaincy Services:
•Worship Services
•Religious Holiday Observances
•Religious Education Classes
•Chapel Library
•Life-Skill Seminars
•Re-Entry Workshop
•Recovery Group

Institutional Betterment Programs:
• 100-Hour Transition Program
• 63-hour Wellness Education Course
• Active and Passive Sports
• Anger & Stress Management
• Freshstart Smoking Cessation Program
• Law Library Program
• Library Program

P.R.I.D.E. Assignments:
•Printing

Community Work Squads:

Dept. of Transportation No

Public Work Squads Yes

Interagency Community
Service Work Squads Yes

Contracted Work Squads No

Please post any additional information (or anything else that we should know!!):

Visitation Hours
Visiting Rules (not the ones listed in the 33’s, but first hand knowledge rules, things they do and don’t pick at, etc)
Visiting Hints (attire, what time you should get up there, is it crowded first thing in the AM, do you get a number? etc)
Visiting Procedures – Do they use the old system by just taking your ID and giving you a slip, or are they using the computer hand check-in system?
Visiting Room (Does it have indoor and outdoor visiting rooms? Big/Sm?)
Lodging Nearby

Let's finish them this time boys!!
WooHoo!!

Last edited by Anjewel; 02-27-2013 at 12:07 AM.. Reason: update info
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2005, 10:43 PM

Default Calhoun Correctional Institution

hello i'm michelle from new york and i have a dear friend who at Calhoun Correctional Institution is there anyone else whos loved one is there?

Old 03-16-2005, 08:16 AM

Smile

Hi, and welcome to PTO. I live in FL and I write to a few guys there. I started writng one in E dorm. Then another friend got transferred there, to H dorm. And now the one in E dorm asked me to help his friend who gets out in about a month. So I have 3 friends there now.
Old 03-16-2005, 08:25 AM
Go Packers!!!!!!!!!!

Hello, Michelle and Mike.

My name is Kim, my brother has been there for 7 years now... I only know of one other person who has a loved one there....
I think my brother is in the H dorm, because his dorm # has a H...
Hope to hear from you all soon
Old 03-16-2005, 10:32 PM

Hi Michelle! My fiance is at Calhoun and gets out in 2 months. It's sooooo very far from Orlando that I haven't been able to visit him at all since he got there in January.

That place is in the middle of absolutely nowhere and I'm having a hard time trying to find a hotel room for the night prior to his release...and of course that morning .
Old 03-17-2005, 08:13 PM

hi all i have a dear friend there his name is Chistopher m stewart E03862 i would love to get word to him that i havent forgotten him
Old 03-17-2005, 08:16 PM

oh my email is intensety65@aol.com feel free to drop me aline
Old 03-17-2005, 08:25 PM

Hi again okay let me explain why i cant just write chris,,, i have a man in my life who is treating by chris he knew when he meet me chris and i were close....since then we had a baby who is now 6 i havent spoke or wrote chris in 7 yrs but never stop thinking of him........... he doesnt get release till 2045 last i knew but i always check the website just to see him~ he only in his 20's but has his life behind bars for something he did,and paying the price for it. gee im sorry i had to vent others dont understand they say Michelle he is a loser im like no he isnt just really made a very very bad choice. He is very special to me.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:10 PM

Hey everyone, I am from South Carolina and I have a Friend at Calhoun Correctional he is also in the H dorm, so do we all know the same guy are what????? lol!!!

Misty
Old 03-23-2005, 12:15 PM

Michelle I completely understand, My friend at Calhoun is an ex-boyfriend, whom I will always care for and he made some bad choices and he is serving Life In Prison with No Parole. I too am married (6yrs and 2 kids) and I secretly write my friend David and he writes me back thru my work address, thu I know I'll never see him again, he's still my dear friend.

Misty
Old 03-23-2005, 05:34 PM

i am so glad im not alone next time you write your friend please ask him if he knows christopher stewart
Old 03-23-2005, 06:01 PM

If anyone has information on Calhoun CI (which I see you guys do ) Puleeeeeease post it in this thread so everyone else can benefit from your knowledge. Thank you so much!

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/sho...hlight=calhoun

Sweetpea

Let's finish them this time boys!!
WooHoo!!
Old 03-24-2005, 03:45 PM

Michelle I'll ask David if he knows Chris, I'll be sending out another letter by Monday we write weekly.

I don't have much infor. on Calhoun, never been there personally, I have an ex-boyfriend there that I have reminded friends with thru the years, but he's there for a looooooooooonnnggg time, no parole. His brother was shot by police (during their "advanture" crime) but my friend is paying the time - stupid Florida Rule.

I know you can send stamps to them in their letters but no nudey pics, LOL!!!

Misty
Old 03-29-2005, 12:04 PM

Default Caulhoun Correction ????

Does anyone know much about Calhoun Correctional?? My friend is in the H dorm, do you know anyone there from the H dorm?? Does anyone visit there?? I am in South Carolina and married so I can't really visit there.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:37 PM

Default Michelle

Michelleny - hey girl David said Chris is in his dorm, Chris says to tell you to write him . I am in the same boat you are in. I too am married, so I use my employment address .
Old 04-18-2005, 11:25 AM

Does anyone know what we can and can not send to Calhoun Correctional? Anyone out there have a friend or relative there? My friend is in Dorm H.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:04 AM

Default Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTYR
Michelleny - hey girl David said Chris is in his dorm, Chris says to tell you to write him . I am in the same boat you are in. I too am married, so I use my employment address .
you made my day!!!!!!!!!!!! i emailed you a note its in your private messages
Old 04-27-2005, 07:39 PM

im so happy to of found this board
Old 09-20-2005, 06:15 PM

Default Calhoun CI

My hubby has been sent to Calhoun. Does anyone have any insight into what kind of a place this is? How is visiting, etc.? Many thanks.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:33 PM

My bf has been there for almost 5 years. I haven't seen him because I live in MA. I am not sure how it goes, he can call me though. His name is Ron and is in dorm E. You can pm me if you like.
Old 10-03-2005, 08:24 PM

my bf is in dorm e and has been there for about 5 years and still has over 2 years to go. Any information could help me. I am trying to set it up so he can call me but says he can't update his list until 3/06 and i just signed up for pco today. Can i call the prison????? What can I do to see if he will be able to call me this month. You can pm me if you want or email me at *email address removed*. Thank you!

Last edited by PTO-29412; 08-02-2006 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: removed email
Old 10-28-2005, 01:28 AM

Hello, I'm Kathie and in New York. My best friend who is also my ex-boyfriend is in Calhoun. Not sure what dorm (sounds like he's in college) he's in but I know he said he was in the honor dorm (there we go again with college talk) and there is an A in the long series of stuff I have to put on the envelope. He has 2 and 1/2 -3 years to go.

Kathie
Old 10-31-2005, 08:30 PM

Default Calhoun Correction Institution

I've made my first visit to Calhoun CI in North Florida. I don't see anything on here about it, so will add what I can...located about 40 miles west of Tallahassee in the middle of nowhere. I spent hours on the internet looking for a namebrand hotel and there are NONE. Look in the yellow pages for Blountstown and you'll find one in town. It's old but is reasonably clean and well kept up. The owner is friendly and rates are very good. Just don't expect the Hilton. It's about 5 miles away from the prison and the next I could find was over 20 miles away. Mapquest said 6 hours from the Orlando area, but I made it in 4-5 without speeding (much). Visitation was approved in 3 weeks for me and my daughter. The mail is ok-they are fairly lenient in what they allow (extra paper, etc.) They treat the inmates okay-some mean, some nice. The food is okay and plenty of it. Visitation check in and out was okay. They use some kind of hand scanner that proves who you are. They have vending machines and a canteen open. Pictures are $2. Visiting is from 7:30 to 2 pm. central time. They have a small room with table, canteen and vending machines and outside with a covered pavillon with tables and a grassy area around it. No playground equipment. I was scared and nervous-didn't know what to expect. But it was not a bad experience at all. Hope this helps someone else out! Jane
Old 11-01-2005, 12:23 PM

Thanks for posting that. I will be making my first trip to see my bf in december. I am so nervous but feel a bit better since reading your post. Can you tell me the name and phone number for the motel, I need to make reservations and also need directions from New Port Richey to the prison. Any info will help. Pm me anytime.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:28 PM
Jeremys Wife

I am planning to go see my husband with our 2 year as soon as I can get the minor block lifted and was wondering if there was anything to entertain my 2 year old? I know that there is no way that we can both entertain him for too long because well hes 2 and hes going to be normal. that is just about the only thing that I was worried about and also what is the dress code? My husbands been in calhoun since november but I cant see him yet because of stupid people. So Im glad that someone else on here has been there. Im going up there from lakeland.

Angel

Angel and Jaydon Nicolodi