Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Federal prison Visitation info & issues, Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics.

Old 01-16-2018, 09:44 AM

Default BF self surrendered 1/4/17, how long before he can call?

I have a question about FCI Mendota maybe you can help me. My BF self surrendered on 1/4/17 and he hasn’t called yet. Is that normal? How long does it take for him to be able to call home?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2018, 03:14 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,926 Times in 11,152 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk.

It usually doesn't take over a week for new inmates to be able to call home. There are situations where it can take longer, lockdowns, being placed in the SHU until a general population bed becomes available, counselor on vacation or sick, etc.

What has to happen is for him to submit a list of all of the phone numbers he will be allowed to call to his counselor, which has to be approved and activated on the inmate telephone system computer. He then has to wait until he receives his 9 digit telephone pin number in the mail. Once all of that happens, he can use the phone to transfer money from his inmate/commissary account to his ITS account to purchase prepaid phone minutes, or he can call collect if there is no money on his account (some cellphones can not receive collect calls).

For email access, he will send you an invitation message that you must reply to in order for him to be able to contact you using the corrlinks system. He will be charged 5 cents/min whenever he is logged into the email system, so he also needs to have money in his account for that. Be sure to check your spam folder too.

Until he is activated on either system, he will receive your letters and will be able to write back if he can find stamps & stationary.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:51 PM

Thank you so much for that information. This is all new to my and a bit overwhelming. He has money so hopefully I will here from him soon. I appreciate you I have been stressing . Thanks again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Trjnumber1 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 04:25 PM

Most likely heís waiting on a Pac number which can take up to 2 weeks. Depending on the speed of his counselor. Also he could be in the shu for various reasons. I heard they just had a little incident up there which may also be delaying him getting access to his phone or email. But he still has the option to go to commissary and purchase stamps and write you heís just most likely getting settled. Mendota for the most part isnít a bad place to do time being that itís nit crowded and inmates still have the option of have some space to move around
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EXFED048 For This Useful Post:
2bafriend (02-24-2018), fbopnomore (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 04:40 PM

This makes me feel a lot better I already wrote him so I should be getting a letter from him soon. I’m not sure if he has my email address I will send it to him in a letter just in case. Also what is the SHU sorry I don’t no much about this stuff lol. On the BOP website it doesn’t have his release date yet. Do you know how soon that is usually updated? Sorry for all the questions... thanks for the information

Last edited by Trjnumber1; 01-16-2018 at 04:42 PM..
fbopnomore (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 05:34 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

SHU is secure housing, which is how the bop punishes inmates who violate conduct rules. The inmates are only permitted one short phone call every 30 days.

The problem is that many prisons use the SHU for overcrowding. At the end of two different transfers I ended up in the SHU for weeks because there were no regular beds available. Inmates in those situations are treated no differently than the ones who are there for disciplinary reasons.

His release date will appear once it is computed by the sentence computation unit in Grand Prairie, Texas. You can figure it out yourself, which will also allow you to verify that the bop didn't make a mistake, which does happen. Even though he was allowed to self surrender, any time he spent in pretrial custody for the same charges counts toward his sentence. That is often missed during the bop computation.

Then add his full sentence and subtract 47 days of regular good time for each 12 months. 30 months will earn 47 times 2 1/2, 118 days off of it. That will be his end of sentence/release date, and his first day of supervised release.

He may get to spend the last portion of his sentence in a half way house (maximum 12 months) or living at home on home confinement (maximum of 6 months) but he will still be in bop custody there. It is called community corrections even though it isn't served in a real prison. Ten percent or less of his sentence is more likely, but only his unit team case manager can tell him the amount of CC time, if any, they will allow him.

One other confusing issue is when his commissary spending limit, and monthly 300 phone minutes roll over to the next month, with no carryover of unused limits. It is the 5th number in his bop ID number (xxxxX-xxx), times 3, plus one, so if his number is 6, he will receive the next month's allowances on the 19th of each month.

In Nov. & Dec he will get an extra 100 phone minutes, and an extra $50.00 commissary limits credited on Nov 1 and Dec. 1,
Old 01-16-2018, 05:58 PM

Thank you so much I will Calculate his release date to make sure they give him his time served during pre trial. And thank you for explaining the way the commissary works. So his 5th number is 8 so he will get his allowances on the 24th of each month. I guess I will just patiently wait to here from him. I hope he is not in the SHU because that sounds rough.
fbopnomore (01-17-2018)
Old 01-17-2018, 06:11 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

No, on the 25th, you need to add "1".
Old 01-17-2018, 07:46 AM

Thank you
fbopnomore (01-17-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 12:05 PM

He finally called on Wednesday and I also received a letter from him, thanks for all of your information it was all correct. I sent in my visiting form does anyone know how long it takes to be approved?
fbopnomore (01-20-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXFED048 View Post
Most likely heís waiting on a Pac number which can take up to 2 weeks. Depending on the speed of his counselor. Also he could be in the shu for various reasons. I heard they just had a little incident up there which may also be delaying him getting access to his phone or email. But he still has the option to go to commissary and purchase stamps and write you heís just most likely getting settled. Mendota for the most part isnít a bad place to do time being that itís nit crowded and inmates still have the option of have some space to move around
Thanks for the bit of info. I have a friend who is at the camp there -- we were emailing almost every day and all of a sudden I stopped hearing from him. I realized it was right around the date you posted this last month. Eventually I heard from a friend that he's in the SHU. Do you know what happened up there?

I wrote him for the first time about 3 weeks ago but haven't heard back. It's definitely weird to go from writing back and forth via e-mail almost daily, to snail mail and not hearing anything back at all. I know getting cleared for visitation can take a minute, but I don't know what's up with the whole mail thing. Do you get mail in the SHU? I sent pictures too. Maybe that's an issue somehow...
Old 02-25-2018, 06:35 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Welcome to Prison Talk and to the federal forums. He will receive mail in the SHU, but he went there with zero property, including postage stamps. He will have to wait until he is allowed to shop or he can borrow from another SHU inmate. If he isn't allowed to shop, he is entitled to 3 "indigent" stamps each week, but he has to request them.

If you are approved to visit, be sure to check the visiting rules for FCI Mendota on the bop web page, SHU visitation is usually on a different day than regular visitation.
https://www.bop.gov/locations/institutions/men/

Last edited by fbopnomore; 02-25-2018 at 06:37 AM..
Old 02-25-2018, 12:26 PM

Thanks for the info. I actually was able to visit back in December. I'm across the country now but was happy to visit while I could. I didn't know he would have his property taken though, so this makes a lot of sense, I guess. What's weird was he was able to write another friend right around when he went in, I'm guessing, because he asked her to let me know that's where he was -- likely because he didn't have my address yet. The timing of it all is just kind of weird. It definitely makes me even more curious as to what happened to get him there. I guess I probably will just have to wait a bit longer, but it will have been a month next week.

Thanks for the insight.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2bafriend For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (02-25-2018)