Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona Prisons & Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arizona Prisons & Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Arizona.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:11 PM

Default Inmate death Lumley Unit Perryville

I was wondering if anyone heard of an inmate (38 yrs old) dying in the exercise yard on Lumley?? What I have heard is that they left her there for 4 hours or more and she was begging to go in and asking for water and was ignored. Ambulances arrived and she was taken to hospital and died. This really scares me. Has anyone heard anything more about this????
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2009, 08:32 PM

Thanked 4,614 Times in 1,668 Posts

I read about it on azcentral.com and Ryan has made a statement regarding this incident. Poor girl, I'm sorry this happened to her and hurt for her family.
The Following User Says Thank You to mandymoo For This Useful Post:
justcare (05-21-2009)
Old 05-20-2009, 11:53 PM
Love is Patient....

Her name was Marcia Powell. I heard it earlier today on the radio. Out of boredom I looked her up on DOC, she was in for prostitution. She was no angel, but she sure as hell did not deserve to die so inhumanely. May she rest in peace now.

The Following User Says Thank You to NoahsMama For This Useful Post:
justcare (05-21-2009)
Old 05-21-2009, 10:10 AM
Always and Forever!

You can bet that someone will lose their job over this one. But are we really suprised that they treated her this way? The guards are really only looking at the job as a paycheck, and not that they are looking after, and are responsible for OUR loved ones!!! They said something on the TV or the paper that they were only moving her from one yard to the next. What on earth would warrant her staying locked up on the rec yard for four hours while they moved her? It's ridiculous and inhumane!!!
justcare (05-21-2009)
Old 05-21-2009, 05:01 PM

Default 3 put on leave

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...death0521.html

Excerpt

Three prison officials have been suspended while the state investigates the heat-related death on Wednesday of a woman who had been placed in an outdoor cage for several hours.
A deputy warden, a captain and the lieutenant in charge of supervising the cage at Arizona State Prison Complex-Perryville have been placed on administrative leave. They are now the subject of a criminal investigation by the Arizona Department of Corrections, said Charles L. Ryan, the department's director.

Last edited by NaNa7; 05-21-2009 at 05:02 PM.. Reason: typo
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NaNa7 For This Useful Post:
4real4real (05-21-2009), justcare (05-21-2009)
Old 05-21-2009, 05:20 PM
HE'S HOME!
Donation Award 

Hopefully the 3 Admin. will get to stay in that same very cage they let her die in...Motha F'ers! That's just despicable and they call the inmates animals...wutever.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4real4real For This Useful Post:
4eva his lady (08-18-2011), justcare (05-21-2009)
Old 05-21-2009, 06:45 PM

I wish there was a way to convince people that these inmates are paying the price for whatever they have done. It is not up to me, you or the DOC officers to judge, and sentence them further. They are human beings who have made wrong choices. I am so upset and sad that this has happened. It shows just how little they respect human life. The three DOC officers I understand are under PAID admin leave. Not a bad deal for letting someone fry in the hot sun while under your supervision.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:56 PM
HE'S HOME!
Donation Award 

JustCare I just can't get over this foreal. This is unacceptable and what has made me even more angrier and sadder is that they've not been able to locate any family.She was unhooked from Life Support and she basically died alone by herself. This is outrageous. I'm sure since no family members will fight for Justice Restitution Punitive Damges etc. that no one will be held accountable for her loss of life. That's enough to literally make me puke, that's vile.
Old 05-22-2009, 05:48 AM

4real4real. I am with you. I still feel that if she had had family that was in contact with her, even though she was in RA, this probably would not have happened. The Officers know which inmates have outside support systems and seem to pay a little more attention to how these inmates are treated. If I hear that after the investigation they find she died of "natural causes" I will go ballistic! How can you fry someone's brain and call it "natural' I also heard yesterday that another inmate in RA died of a drug overdose yesterday. How did she get drugs in RA??? No visitors, not outside contacts, hmmmmmmm..
Old 05-27-2009, 07:58 PM

You are right they know which inmates have support. This is tragic what is worse is she was imprisioned when if years ago our society had not taking the mentally ill out of state run institutions and imprisoned them perhaps the proper help would have been available. She was once a 15 year old runaway later diagnosed as bipolar. Gee think DOC was treating this. Doubtful.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:06 AM
Peggy
Donation Award 

Default Outdoor cages at AZ DOC

Hey folks. Found you googling for more information about how Marcia Powell died and who else might care about prisoner rights. Found one post on another site that calls those outdoor cells "punishment cages" (though the DOC swears they aren't used for that). According to the governor's office, by the way, they won't be using those anymore. ever. not even retrofitted with shade and water. I'm too new to post a web link, but the Phoenix New Times has good coverage of the case and the DOC.

Over 100 - maybe 200 people showed up at Marcia's memorial service. I'm hoping they don't all think we've won the battle for no more cages now. There's still a lot of people in cages in AZ whose voices aren't being heard, like marcia's, before she died. In case anyone knows of prisoners with human rights concerns, middle ground prison reform in tempe seems to be out in front on this particular issue.

best to all.
peggy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mplews For This Useful Post:
kindra_antoin (07-02-2009), mandymoo (05-31-2009)
Old 05-31-2009, 11:31 AM

I cant even say how happy I am about this my wife is in Lumley in R&A and I was soo worried they would put her in one of these for whatever reason, she has complexion like mine and we sunburn after about 20 mins of direct sunlight, im so glad to hear this it is horrible that it took a situation like this to stop the use of these but it's a load lifted off my shoulders

Old 05-31-2009, 11:58 AM
A Loving Mom.

Arrow This site has a video, and typed eulogy of Marcia, letter sent to the governor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplews View Post
Hey folks. Found you googling for more information about how Marcia Powell died and who else might care about prisoner rights. Found one post on another site that calls those outdoor cells "punishment cages" (though the DOC swears they aren't used for that). According to the governor's office, by the way, they won't be using those anymore. ever. not even retrofitted with shade and water. I'm too new to post a web link, but the Phoenix New Times has good coverage of the case and the DOC.

Over 100 - maybe 200 people showed up at Marcia's memorial service. I'm hoping they don't all think we've won the battle for no more cages now. There's still a lot of people in cages in AZ whose voices aren't being heard, like marcia's, before she died. In case anyone knows of prisoners with human rights concerns, middle ground prison reform in tempe seems to be out in front on this particular issue.

best to all.
peggy

www.middlegroundprisonreform.org
The Following User Says Thank You to kj92363 For This Useful Post:
mplews (06-10-2009)
Old 05-31-2009, 12:01 PM
A Loving Mom.

Arrow The link

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplews View Post

best to all.
peggy

here you go ............ http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kj92363 For This Useful Post:
mandymoo (05-31-2009), mplews (06-10-2009)
Old 06-29-2009, 02:58 AM

Default Marcia powell....free at last.. I remember u

When I heard the news, a wave of sadness came over me for the "CrAzY AzZ LiTtLe WhItE GiRl" I knew from my past...It's been over a decade
since Id seen Marcia, yet I had thought of her often when talking about the WONDER YEARS I spent in Arizona's Country Club for female offenders. I met and observed plenty people in my 10+ years behind bars and when you spend that kind of time together with others
They forever remain in that special place in your heart,,, Marcia was one of those people you may not have been best buds or even kicked it with her at all... But seeing her crazy ass bopping around the yard with this pebbles flintstone ponytail sticking straight up on top of her head ,,, Happy as can be, even on the crappyest of days when there wasnt a G#$dammed thing to smile about , the girl NEVER let it faze her... She was one of those people that often got preyed upon by the PUKES n LEECHES slithering around the yard and even though most the time she had nothing but her indegent state issued goodie bags, She had a heart of gold and would give it all away as quick as she got it..And when she finally got a WIPP job that allowed her tu buy herself some treats,,She usually gave them away too...Even when we told her to hang on to it cause the people begging from her bought 40 a week and still took from her anyways,,, She liked to wear her walkman or whoevers it was and dance around the yard happy to be alive,, TO MARCIA.....I REMEMBER YOU...WE REMEMBER YOU...I KNOW YOURE LOOKING DOWN ON ALL THESE FOOLS AND WONDERING WHY THEY ARE SAD ,,,CAUSE THE GIRL WHO HAD NOTHING ...HAS MOVED INTO HER MANSION IN THE SKY...Ive been out ten years now,,, I used to come n go from jail n prison and steal n party and not give a damn ...andthe worst part is The happiest days of my life were spent in those cages, with all those bad people..Its been the hardest 10 years of my life out here not cause i wanted to steal or get high ....no not at all...but because real life is hard and scary and lonely and prison is safe and easy and you get to be you there; PLEASE remember your loved ones whove been inside prison share a bond with other cons whether good or bad it will always be in that special part of their soul and you gotta try and help them go forward from there not try and pretend it never happened..
My Ex who i did 6yrs in and 2 out of prison with told me what could be one of the most important things anyone ever said to me as she dumped me one day ...She punched me in the face and said...WHAT THE FUC> IS WRONG WITH YOU? you dont belong in a cage....
SHE WAS RIGHT and 10 years later even when im losing my mind and i feel that urge to go "HOME",,,,, I know thats not my home anymore,
NO MORE CAGES....MARCIA POWELL FREE AT LAST/
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bIgDyKe For This Useful Post:
Cactus (09-24-2009), kindra_antoin (07-02-2009), mandymoo (07-01-2009), mplews (07-02-2009), NtShadow (06-29-2009)
Old 07-02-2009, 06:43 AM
Peggy
Donation Award 

Thanks for sharing the side of Marcia that none of the rest of the community knew. Peace to you.
Old 03-06-2011, 12:55 PM

My friend is 60 yrs old & is suing ADOC. I have been writing her for 8yrs when she was sent to VA..When she started to sue VA, they sent her back to ADOC where she again started to sue. She in ADSEG and has been for 8+yrs. She is indigent has no family and me for a friend. What I need is for you to send a card or letter to her Saying we are watching out for you So ADOC will not try to set her up like Marcia Powell because she has no family or friends.

Christina Acker #78733
ASPC Perryville
Lumley Unit C-214
PO Box 3300
Goodyear, AZ 85388
Old 03-30-2011, 06:42 PM

Default Inmate Suicide

This is first hand info: An Inmate has hanged herself at Perryville. The cos ignored her pleas for help and (obvious) red flag that she was having suicidal thoughts. Still the co did nothing to help. They (the cos) are more concerned with their paychecks than actually listening to their inmates when they are having trouble.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justcare View Post
I was wondering if anyone heard of an inmate (38 yrs old) dying in the exercise yard on Lumley?? What I have heard is that they left her there for 4 hours or more and she was begging to go in and asking for water and was ignored. Ambulances arrived and she was taken to hospital and died. This really scares me. Has anyone heard anything more about this????
I was on another unit in Perryville when this happened. Marcia Powell should have been in a mental institution instead of prison. She had deep psychological problems and was addicted to crack. Her crimes were minor drug posession offenses and prostitution. She was not begging to go in nor asking for water.. MOST of the officers in PV are not ignoant enough to ignore someone that was in distress begging for help. There were several different officers in and out of that area off and on during her time in that cage. Theres no way that all of them would have ignored calls for help. Heads rolled over Marcia's death, namely Michelle Bailey, Dep. Warden, who was actually a half-decent human being. She was a fall guy. Incompetance of the officers as well as the medical staff is what killed Marcia. She was left in a transport cage and overlooked by the officers, doped up on medication. She died in the cage.
The Following User Says Thank You to DFB2u For This Useful Post:
ENSWHITED (09-05-2011)
Old 10-13-2012, 11:14 AM

Hi friends, I found this forum when I was googling around to collect some background about Marcia Powell. I am currently working on a creative project that aims to re-humanize Marcia and I was really touched by the words of people here who either knew her and were affected by hearing what happened to her. If anyone is interested in reaching out to me to perhaps contribute to the project then send a post here and I'll follow up with you. I really was moved by what you wrote bIgDyKe.