Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal System News, Events and Legal Issues News & Events relating to the U.S. Federal Bureau of Prisons, U.S. Courts, Department of Justice and any legal questions you may have dealing with the Federal system.

Old 01-05-2018, 05:47 PM

Default Corruption at Fort Dix: searching for a lawyer to meet with my husband

Back in May 2017 my husbands unit counselor propositioned him for sex. He turned her down and my life got turned upside down. The visits became an issue they started harassing me every time I came with an Ion Scan - when I questioned them as to why I was getting scanned every time - they said it was random. I asked to speak to a Lieutenant - who told me to do that! The CO went off. I eventually spoke to the Lieutenant and told him I wanted to file a complaint against him. The problem is I am a breast cancer survivor - in remission for 1 year now. I take meds everyday and I do not know how they would effect the Ion Scan results. Anyway the Lieutenant didn't return to take my complaint so I had to write the warden. Great news the scans stopped. Bad news - they retaliated. They created some charge against my husband and he has been in the SHU since 12/4 they found him guilty - said he would lose 1 year of email, phone, and commissary and 7 days of good time. I searched his name in the BOP website and they took away 3 months. He still has not received the final paperwork and he plans to appeal. I have in turn wrote a letter to Everyone I could think of to get help - the Director of BOP, the Regional Director, FBI, Inspector General, Congress, National and Local News (print and television), Advocates for inmates. I have gotten contacted from some of them, someone in BOP called me today and told me she forwarded my letter to Internal Affairs. These people think they are above the law and they are not. Its time they get knocked off their high horse. I am searching for a lawyer to meet with my husband to discuss all that has gone on where they have violated his rights even to see a physician. I may have to pay out of pocket but they need to be investigated at the least.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VBsWife For This Useful Post:
do97jdl (01-26-2018), xolady (01-06-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2018, 06:41 PM

Wow. I have no advice here, all I can say is that I am sorry for your situation. I went to visit B once and previously I had been able to wear wired bras. Suddenly, the rules changed. I had driven 5 hours for a no contact visit that only last 2 hours instead of our usual 6-6.5. I was willing to go home (my hotel) and change, they wouldn't allow it. I was being encouraged by women already inside the visiting area to fight it, to have them call someone to let them know the circumstances and try to get a second chance. I decided against it. I wouldn't risk him being retaliated against. Unfortunately, the system is broken in this way. They get no rights, not at least in the way we do. Again, I'm sorry. If there is something I can do to help in your fight, please let me know.

Just as a small piece of advice, be sure you document what is happening . What is happening to him is sexual harassment and an abuse of power. That needs to be known.
The Following User Says Thank You to InLuvWithALifer For This Useful Post:
VBsWife (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 06:45 PM

I appreciate your reply!! I am documenting EVERYTHING. As is he. He writes me names - dates and times. He injured his finger on the bed and put in a cop out 3 times and they kept cancelling it - he went 2/3 weeks with no medical and a swollen black and blue finger with nothing for the pain. They are out of control. And I am glad they are being investigated.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:15 PM

Thanked 1,267 Times in 706 Posts

I wonder if this is something for the PREA officer.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:18 PM

I have spoke to the PREA officer today actually. So it is being investigated. But they do not take offenses like this serious when its done to a male inmate. Men are supposed to be accepting of sexual offers - but at the end of the day he cannot consent to sex if he is an inmate. But how do we prove this.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:09 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,918 Times in 11,147 Posts

I'm sorry for what you and your husband are facing. Bop employees retaliate against "complainers" all the time. It is illegal, but since there are virtually no consequences, it continues.

I hope you are able to get assistance from someone in the department of justice system, and/or find a lawyer to represent him.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:11 AM
Midnight Sun Moderator

PTO Site Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 2,347 Times in 1,111 Posts

That's a horrible and stressful position to be at, both for you and your husband - I am very sorry. I don't have any advice myself, but wanted to say good for you for having this investigated and not giving up. I am glad you've managed to get some people's attention and have spoken with the PREA officer and someone from BOP. Keeping my fingers crossed for you - keep us posted
Old 01-06-2018, 04:32 AM

This is all very frustrating- he was on his way out and they made it so all we can do is write each other. They are delaying the mail. And now they are ignoring him when he makes any requests. I am hoping that Internal Affairs does investigate and as the PREA officer understood my concerns- that they see something isn’t right. I thought after battling cancer on my own with my 4 children that things would be easier- what could compare to that? I just need a break- life has been kicking me in the teeth for years!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VBsWife For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-06-2018), Sarianna (01-06-2018), xolady (01-06-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 09:11 AM

Good Morning,
Can you please provide the alleged prohibited act he was charged with?
Old 01-07-2018, 09:22 AM

They keep changing the story so I don’t know what the final offense was. Initially he was sharpening a knife then threw it into the drain and ran into the shower and dropped it down the drain. At the hearing they said he had 2 ice picks. He had witnesses but they are other inmates and they say none of that happened. I find it hard to believe that he could do all of that and what did the CO do just watch and yell don’t do that stop? If he had a weapon of that size they are supposed to give him another charge and he would be back in federal court- the fact is they don’t have the evidence to prove it to anyone outside those prison walls.
The Following User Says Thank You to VBsWife For This Useful Post:
xolady (01-07-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 11:22 PM

My brother had transferred from Texarkana to Ft Dix about a year and a half ago. First time drug offender. The stories he has told me are unbelievable. He was 1 or 2 months from finishing RDAP and they started all kinds of bs because he called out the facilitator for being sexually inappropriate with a female facilitator. He has left the program with only 1 unit left to complete. The stories are like night and day from the Texarkana facility. He has written everything down that he witnessed and asked me to save it in case something happens to him. There is corruption at the highest levels there. I’m sorry your going through this
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DJean For This Useful Post:
do97jdl (01-26-2018), VBsWife (01-21-2018), xolady (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 12:23 AM

I appreciate your message. Many people who haven’t experienced this kind of crap may have found it hard to believe and though the blame lied on my husband but these people are very cruel and unprofessional! Lately they have been on their Ps and Qs but that’s only because internal affairs is probably watching them cause of the many letters I sent. At one point my husband kept writing me that he thinks they are trying to kill him in there. It’s really scary and stressful!
xolady (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 07:28 AM

Default Morning

Hi VBís wife,
When contacting internal affairs with a complaint can a person stay anonymous? Iím really sad that my brother left the program with such little time left. He has compared Texarkana and Ft Dix as going from Disneyland to hell. I think part of it is due to the population at Dix being upwards of 5,500 men. While Texarkana has a fraction of that number. Then add in COís with no integrity supplying inmates with cell phones, alcohol, and any drug you want. Itís an unbelievable combination. I myself have felt helpless at times to help in any way for fear of retribution. Have you been able to visit the facility? Iíve been there a few times since he transferred. I hope your ok today.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:38 AM

They like details! Names dates times- they won’t do anything without specifics. However the COs and Unit team will retaliate! My first complaint was anonymous at least I thought so - I used the BOP website to email my concern through their website hoping it would be anonymous but I think they have ways of finding out who your connected to maybe even through the computer you use if you email your loved one through Corrlinks. I don’t know- I’m very suspicious of everything these days. You can contact this organization called Just Detention International they were very helpful and responded to my letter right away.

Just Detention International
1900 L Street NW, Suite 601
Washington, DC 20036
www.justdetention.org
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VBsWife For This Useful Post:
do97jdl (01-26-2018), fbopnomore (01-21-2018), patchouli (01-21-2018), xolady (01-21-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 09:51 AM

Default Hey there

I know what you mean! Thanks for the information. Are they nice there? I bet my brother knows your husband.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:57 AM

Just Detention was very nice, understanding, informative and knowledgeable about the rules and also how the facility will retaliate as well as how difficult it is to prove anything the inmate says because as mentioned somewhere on prison talk - whatever a BOP employee says is fact while anything an inmate states is lies. Lawyers do not even want to touch it unless you pay out of pocket and they would not be taking the case because they are passionate about it but because they can milk all your money from you.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:08 PM

Thanked 1,267 Times in 706 Posts

Sometimes the Inspector General gets results.

https://oig.justice.gov lists some success stories.
do97jdl (01-26-2018), fbopnomore (01-22-2018)
Old 01-22-2018, 03:36 AM

That’s good to know! I wrote the Inspector General as well. Hopefully my husband will be one of those success stories!
fbopnomore (01-22-2018)
Old 01-22-2018, 06:48 PM

My husband is finally getting transferred out of Fort Dix. I got a letter he wrote me on 1/19. He said they told him to pack out he would be leaving on Tuesday which would be tomorrow. The problem is - they never gave him his DHO package so he could put in the appeal for the offense that caused all this drama. He spoke to the Hearing officer and asked him about the paperwork - the officer told him- "they have me doing 2 jobs and until they pay me for 2 jobs I am not doing any paperwork. The Hearing officer is a counselor at the camp. How can that be fair? What can be done about this paperwork? I emailed Fort Dix Executive Assistant to find out about the paperwork - hoping they would get it to him before he leaves tomorrow but I truly have no faith in this system.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VBsWife For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (01-23-2018), Sarianna (01-31-2018)
Old 01-23-2018, 05:06 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

The same counselor's job number 3 may be to rule on inmate appeals of his hearing decisions. If he doesn't do paperwork, maybe his hearing decision won't follow your LO to his new prison. Fair is not a consideration in the bop's conduct hearing policy, at least most times.
Old 01-23-2018, 08:19 PM

I hope that this doesn't stick and he gets his good time back. I contacted them about the paperwork and they said they would forward it to him and his time for appeal doesn't start until it is in his possession. Cant wait for this nightmare to be oner already. He is in transit so I can't sleep cause I dont know how far away they are sending him. I keep checking the website like a maniac - I just need to know if we will be able to see him because if its too far - I simply won't be able to afford it.
fbopnomore (01-24-2018)
Old 01-24-2018, 04:43 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

I hope he is moved close enough so you will be able to visit him at his new prison.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:08 AM

They have him close- for now. I don’t think he will be staying there. He passes through this jail every time he is transferred- which is weird cause they will pass the jail he’s really going to to bring him here to go right back. What a waste! I hope he ends up close too- thanks!
fbopnomore (01-24-2018)
Old 01-31-2018, 11:45 AM

Default Howís things going

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBsWife View Post
They have him close- for now. I donít think he will be staying there. He passes through this jail every time he is transferred- which is weird cause they will pass the jail heís really going to to bring him here to go right back. What a waste! I hope he ends up close too- thanks!
Hi VBís wife,
Sorry I havenít been on but wondering how things are going...
Old 01-31-2018, 01:22 PM

He’s still in transit so I’m just waiting.