Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service All information relating to parole, probation, halfway houses, community service and electronic monitoring in Pennsylvania should be posted here.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:24 PM

Default Home Plan approved, but Parole Board said Halfway House. For how long?

My boyfriend has been at SCI-Pittsburgh-doing time for a non violent crime. He was sentenced to like almost 2 years but he is RRRI eligible and is only having to do 9 months. So he has 2 months & 14 days until his minimum! About 2 weeks ago he got his greensheet back saying he was granted parole on or thereafter his minimum however he would have to go to a halfway house. His home plan has been approved but we did note that the decision from parole in regards to the halfway house was printed prior to his home plan being approved. Alsomy boyfriend is currently in the TC program and will graduate may 8th. I did call his parole agent who came to do the homeplan and he verified home plan was approved. I asked him all of the questions I will ask shortly and he wasn't able to answer but he suggested I had my boyfriend talk to the counselors at Pitt along with his parole agent there. I did that and my boyfriend told me tonight he questioned the counselor why he can't go home and it has to be to a HH-the only thing they could say or write back on the request slip was that if parole wrote that-it has to be followed. My questions and his questions are: if he's in a TC program now and graduating before his minimum will he still have to go to the HH?, will DOC release him early after him graduating to go to HH so maybe by his minimum be released, if he has to go to HH can it only be for like a day? he already did programs and because he has an approved home plan? Also what is the least amount of time for Hh and max time? Also mind you Pittsburgh is 3 & a half hours from our home so I would hope they would transfer him this way but if he has to wait on a bed who knows how long that would be. Is transferring to HH common for those with past drug crimes? Why my boyfriend because I feel like he's done everything right up to this point. Any way to change parole mind besides doing an appeal? Also I know most inmates that get greensheets back it'll say the amount of time to serve there-his doesn't is that good or bad?. Him & I just want the next step to be him coming home not going to halfway house-yes it's better than jail and a step in the right direction but not what we want! Any and all help/input is appreciated & thank you!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2015, 06:41 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 23,637 Times in 13,579 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. You may find answers to your questions in the PA Prison forums.
http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=164
Old 04-10-2015, 12:28 PM
PTO Administrator
Donation Award 

Thanked 36,872 Times in 17,014 Posts

Hello & welcome to PTO! I've moved your thread to the PA sub-forum for Pennsylvania Parole, Probation & Release so you'll get state specific information

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 04-12-2015, 05:15 AM

Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,310 Posts

Your boyfriend will go to a halfway house because the Board made it a condition of his parole. his only choice therein is to refuse the parole and stay in prison.

If his green sheet said he's paroled "upon successful completion" of his programs, then his counselor will begin to process his halfway house referral when they're sure he will "successfully complete" the programs on schedule. Some facilities don't start this process until the actual completions.

The referral packet goes to the Bureau of Community Corrections in Mechanicsburg. They review it and then send it to the Regional Office; this will be the region from which he came (Western, Central or Eastern). The Regional Office will place him and set the bed date. Since h probably has a low OVRT score, he will be able to travel by personal vehicle to the halfway house on the assigned date.

The halfway house will decide if he should take any additional programs while there. The typical stay is 30 to 90 days. it could be less, but those are rare cases.

Is this "common" in drug cases: Absolutely. He did very little time in prison and the TC is considered only the "first step" in dealing with addictions issues. Many, many of addicts stay clean for a year, hit the street and immediately relapse (in spite of swearing they never will). I just discussed this very issue with the staff at a county jail last week. your boyfriend needs a "continuum of treatment" that entails getting him into some kind of out-patient program, and this is what the halfway house will start.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:51 AM

Thank you. His greensheet only said parole granted and that he has to go to a halfway house. His outside parole agent told me that his home plan was approved but even he was confused as to why his greensheet didn't state the length of time he would have to be at the halfway house. He had said there was a possibility once he completed his program that he may only have to go to the halfway house for like a day possibly max 2 weeks since my boyfriends situation is different that most. Have you seen that short of length ever? My boyfriend did last week already sign HWH paperwork and is currently waiting in a bed. Is it possible after he graduates early may that they would send him to the HWH before his minimum June 24th? Thanks.
Old 04-16-2015, 02:55 AM

I do know that in some cases even though the home plan was approved the inmate must first go to a CCC before going home because the fees have not been paid such as CVCF and Victim Witness etc. These fees are required to be paid by law before an inmate may be released on parole. It is possible that if these fees have not been paid the IGWF (inmate general welfare fund) will pick up these fees and pay them. If this happens it means the inmate will go to a CCC first before being paroled to their approved home plan.

This is what I had to do in order to get my LO to parole to my home (his approved home plan). I had to pay all the fees etc (about $600) in his situation as he had multiple cases. He was told at his parole hearing that he would more than likely be paroled but he was also told that if the parole decision is made before the fees are paid it will dictate that he must first go to a CCC before coming home to me. So we almost had to play a gamble as in hoping he would be approved for parole and pay the fees without first getting his greensheet. But a week after his hearing the field agent came to investigate his home plan. This signaled us he would more than likely be granted parole so therefor I immediately paid all his fees etc before the system automatically paid the fees on his behalf which would have caused him to go to a CCC first before coming home.

We are just waiting on a release date now.

Hard to say how much this will delay his release if he is going to a CCC (halfway house) first. More than likely he will be delayed quite a bit because they have to wait for a "bed date" to open up first and that could take months. Also there is no guarantee that he will end up at a CCC near your home.

If it is a non-violent offense as you say he will have a much easier time of getting into a CCC and if a program is required while being there it more than likely will not be a very long one at all as some more violent crimes require an person at a CCC to complete a program that can last up to 9 months such as violence prevention etc.

I don't think there is much you can do at all to change this on your end or much your LO can do. If you did in fact pay the required fees etc then maybe something else caused this to happen. But more than likely because he is in TC they consider him an addict. For this they want him to have continuity of treatment upon his parole which means a step to the CCC first for another program and supervision and then home with continued treatment and supervision.
The Following User Says Thank You to waitinguntil001 For This Useful Post:
Lost boy 1980 (05-06-2015)
Old 05-05-2015, 05:19 PM

Update on my boyfriends situation-he graduates TC program this Friday the 8th. Also this week will be exactly one month since he signed halfway house paperwork for a bed. Yesterday he got his picture taken for his state ID. Questions that are still looming are: will he still have to go to HH after graduating & even with them granting parole & with an approved home plan even though it had initially said parole granted to a HH?, will he be able to be released early after this Friday graduating from TC to go to HH & stay there til his minimum which is June 24th? Or will he have to stay in Pitt til June 24th?, is there any chance they would/could re-review his entire case and see everything is good ($ paid, has everything completed to go home) & let him finish his sentence to June 24th then release him to his already approved home plan? If anyone could help shed some light on these questions it would be greatly appreciated
Old 05-05-2015, 06:44 PM

1. Congratulations on successful completion of the TC and impending release.
2. He can not be paroled prior to his minimum date. That is the law.
3. The Board can still send him to the center for some period of time.
4. It's unlikely the Board will revisit their decision. they made that decision knowing how it would play out and they have no reason to change their minds.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:56 PM

Just an update!! My boyfriend is being released from SCI Pitt the 29th of this month his minimum was the 24th so needless to say the day we've been waiting for is coming in like 2 & 1/2 weeks!!!! However he does have to go to a halfway house in Hburg that day but at least I can pick him up and we'll be together on the outside together for the first time in over 9 months! & at least he'll be closer to "our" home so instead of driving almost 4 hours to see him I can drive 45 mins to see him!! Not sure how long he'll be there his counsellors tell him probably for a short time. He graduated his TC program the 8th of May, got his UA this past week, fines are all paid, got his ID & they told him what time I can pick him up!! I'm soo happy he'll finally be home soon & that this long journey is almost over-ready to make up for lost time & continue/restart our life!!
Old 06-11-2015, 03:50 AM

Congrads!! Glad everything is working out for you two so far. Hope all goes well.

Just a heads up. I believe that even though you are allowed to pick him up you still have to deliver him to the center once you pick him up without delay. No side stops etc. Can't be driving around with him. Pick him up and go straight to the center. You can verify this but I do think this is the case.

Good luck to the two of you.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:26 AM

Update!!!!! So last Wednesday June 24th which was my boyfriends minimum date he was called to see the counselor. She told my bf that his HH bed date had been pulled and he wouldn't be coming home today as planned-they said his status sheet wasn't up to date however when he saw parole they knew all charges and there's nothing new but because the status sheet had been updated after when he saw parole even tho his green sheet had said all cases etc on it and they reviewed each-just because it wasn't updated to current they are holding off on his release. So no one has told him what is next-anyone please tell me if you've been through this or have ae insight? How long? Could they review it and realize he is good and send him home? How soon til they resolve this? Or will he have to wait for another bed date? Or do you think he'll have to wait for September docket to see parole again? Omg this is crazy-he has put request slips in, I have called outside parole agent even tho it is internal within jail-haven't heard back yet. Any others I should call? This is crazy-all on SCI Pittsburgh not on my bf...crazy..so continue waiting is what we have to do-I hate this!

So I called Hburg central office for P&P last night and the lady called me back stating they got a memo to have the board review something and that it is currently in process and that it shouldn't be too long. Anyone have any insight on how long this would take or what they may say? No new charges or anything like I said it was just due to them not having an updated status sheet on file but when my bf saw parole they had everything just the print out wasn't correct...

Last edited by bobble60; 07-05-2015 at 05:16 AM..
Old 07-01-2015, 12:14 PM

Sounds to me like someone did not do their job properly in making sure the papers they had in-hand were up to date as they should have been. But because parole is a privilege and not a right you really can't bitch much at all. I am sure they will realize that there is no new news to consider in their decision and will probably process it quickly. I am sure they don't want any more work to do than they need to do. But their "shouldn't take too long" is their language for "we will do it when we get to it". The whole system I found is a waiting game-"Hurry Up and Wait!!". My BF just waited 12 weeks for his green sheet so we know what the wait is like; luckily he got paroled after waiting all that time though.

Hopefully someone with some insight on this particular situation with experience will be by soon to help ease your mind a bit.

Good luck to you both and have some patience; not much more you can do than that.

Last edited by waitinguntil001; 07-01-2015 at 12:18 PM..
MarhoRithru (07-02-2015)
Old 07-05-2015, 05:20 AM

It sounds like someone at the prison found a problem with his records and wants to make sure the Board didn't miss anything. It could be anything, for example -- an old misconduct, an old case, a program that wasn't completed, an error in a stability code or risk assessment ... It had to be small enough to be overlooked, so it's not likely to affect the Board's overall decision. This is just the DOC dotting an I or crossing a T.

If the bed date was pulled, then the case is re-submitted for placement. They will only "hold" a bed for a week or two at most.
MarhoRithru (07-05-2015)
Old 07-23-2015, 06:43 PM

So finally today we heard something-a day shy from exactly a month when the above craziness happened. My BF got a request slip back saying the parole board will print and submit the paperwork on July 24th (tomorrow!!) and the parole agent will resubmit for a bed date. So finally going to be moving in the direction we did over a month ago but this time it should be official!! Soo ready to have him home--almost there!
The Following User Says Thank You to MarhoRithru For This Useful Post:
patchouli (07-23-2015)
Old 07-24-2015, 04:47 AM

Good to hear! Glad everything is starting to head in the right direction. Keep us up to date.

Good luck!!
Old 08-17-2015, 03:28 PM

Just to keep everyone posted we are STILL waiting-on week 8. Hburg central office said could take 6-12 wks for an answer for a memo to board. Currently it's still processing but they said board already reviewed and now my BF's stuff is waiting for a decision from a person in a cubicle-ugh. This has been a long damn process all because his status sheets werent current being the date-no new info just a date-ridiculous that they have inmates just wasting time Forreal. So waiting on an answer which will come via administrative action n then they can resubmit his bed date. Makes us think what the point of having RRRI at 9 months because he's basically doing his minimum if he didn't have that-a year is coming come 9-24. They should've had all this taken care of if someone at prison was doing their damn job-end rant just want to keep everyone informed as to what's going on. I'm assuming no one has dealt with anything like this before around here at least. Thanks for the support all!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MarhoRithru For This Useful Post:
patchouli (08-17-2015), waitinguntil001 (08-18-2015)
Old 08-18-2015, 04:53 AM

And to think what this delay is costing the tax payers keeping him in prison for all the extra time when he has an approved home plan already and someone did not do their job to begin with. But because parole is a privilege and not a right you really can't say anything about the extra time it is taking.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:39 PM

Exactly!!
Old 08-23-2015, 06:05 AM

The problem isn't simple, and it's a narrow view to blame the DOC.

They were never intended to house people with short minimum sentences. State prisons were for serious felons, facing five or more years on their minimums. Judges have taken to sending short-sentence cases upstate for a number of reasons: their county jail is overcrowded, they want to "send a message", etc. And the DOC simply isn't structured to work this fast.

Added to that is the problem that court records aren't always complete when sent to the DOC. If the inmate raises a question about his sentence computations with the prison Records Office, they will contact the court for clarification. Few inmates check their paperwork so carefully, at least not until the end of their sentence.

The Parole Board gets their information from the DOC ... and this is where the paperwork snafus drag out release.

In order for the state system to efficiently handle short-timers, there would have to be a paradigm shift that only new legislation could start. Such legislation would almost certainly appear "soft on crime" and face an uphill battle. The simple solution is at the front end: judges should keep these minor cases in the county.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:47 AM

Thanks bobble60 for that explanation and it taught me a few things I did not know.

But I believe another contributing factor as to why many judges send an inmate to a state prison besides some of the things you mention is because that many of the county jail systems do not or do not have set up programs for the inmates. Such as alcohol, drug, sex offender etc. So I think many are sent to state for this reason alone sometimes.
Old 10-18-2015, 03:04 AM

I wanted to update everyone-my BF received his bed date and release date finally!!! I get to pick him up from Pitt on Monday morning-October 19th. We already know what halfway house he is going to in Hburg so basically just another wake up & we'll be together!!! Super stoked! What was supposed to only be 9 months turned into a year & "some" so I'm very anxious to get this all moving so that we can move forward with our journey together.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:05 AM

So glad to hear all is finally working out for the two of you. Yes, my LO kind of went through something similar. His release was delayed and also he ended up having to do a program in a D/A rehab for about 30 days after jos release from state and then at the last minute the day before his release from rehab he was notified he would not be released because his home plan to my house had expired while at the D/A rehab center. Luckly his PO in my area "rubber stamped" it and he was released two days later home to my house.

Good luck and I know how excited you must be to finally pick him up!!
MarhoRithru (10-18-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 04:56 PM

Just wanted to update everyone..my BF was released from HWH this past Tuesday to come home. So it took a year and a month to be released from state when he was only to do 9 months n it took a year n 2 months to b released home. Actually all the POs in HWH n now that he's home said he was granted parole n home plan approved bk when so the run around he got n when he was told to go to HWH after being released from up state-wasn't necessary n that he should've just went straight home from the jump. Thanks for all support etc during this time!
Old 07-07-2017, 12:57 PM

[quote=fbopnomore;7432679]Welcome to Prison Talk.

Can you help me find the correct forrum/answer to this question:
My LO was in the halfway house and was caught with a cell phone for his job. (He had a letter from his employer for it but they didnt care). They searched his room and found "2 pills and a marijuana" which belonged to someone else. Everyone in the room was sent back to prison!! He was only there for not even 30 days! So now my question is what happens next?? He said something about a court hearing...Will he lose his good time for this?!
This sucks because he was actually turning his life around with a job and school!
Old 07-08-2017, 05:40 AM

I believe you are in the incorrect forum asking this question. From your other posts it seems he is in a federal halfway house.

Although the federal half way house may be in Penn (I am assuming it is because you posted here) this forum is specifically for Penn State prisons and County jails etc. This Penn system is and can be totally different than federal in many ways. I would suggest that you post in this forum here ->> Federal Halfway House Forum.