Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Federal Prison Self Surrendering Information Information about Federal Prisons and Self-Surrendering to the BOP.

Old 06-12-2018, 06:38 AM

Default How long does it take before you receive a designation letter?

I am not sure if this is in the right place. I was wondering once you get sentenced how long does it take before you receive a designation letter. I was just sentenced on June 8th, and I have to SS on June 25th..
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2018, 09:05 PM

Thanked 1,148 Times in 576 Posts

That is a really fast SS date. My husband was sentenced on September 12 and didn't find out where he was designated until November. His SS date was December 5. His attorney however, did receive the letter and didn't tell us in October.

Your designation is assigned by the BOP and your attorney will be notified via email (they no longer send the defendant letters or hard copy letters). Since your date is early, assuming that doesn't change, I would contact your attorney about a week before if you haven't heard yet and see if they have heard. If they haven't, then you should contact the US Marhal's office. That is what my husband finally did, and how we found out where he was designated as well as the fact that his attorney had been emailed and never told us. That was pretty frustrating. They then contacted the attorney and told him to forward the email to us, which he did claiming it went to spam, which is bs. The attorney was phenomenal when it came to sentencing, but as far as responsiveness..he was an F.

Good luck! Use this time to get your affairs in order, power of attorney for loved one, copies of your drivers license and social security cards, estate planning documents, etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rockchalk1 For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (06-13-2018), Meljon804 (06-13-2018)
Old 06-13-2018, 09:16 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 20,164 Times in 11,769 Posts

That is extremely quick. If you don't get told where to SS, but advised to report to the Marshals instead, have your lawyer file a motion to modify the date until the bop has decided where to designate you. Otherwise you will be locked up until they do, and then be moved there in chains.