Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MISSOURI > Missouri Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Missouri Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Missouri Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:47 AM

Angry Missouri DOC: Was just told I have to use JPay - MoneyGram to send money!?

New member because I am MAD! Was just told I have to use JPay - MoneyGram to send money to my brother now in Missouri DOC. I have MAJOR problem with this as their fee is $4.95 while with Cash Pay Today was only $2.50! WTF!!! Oh and I can't use Dollar General or Family Dollar stores anymore!!!

Last edited by umnsmith; 10-20-2017 at 09:50 AM..
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2017, 09:59 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 36,025 Times in 16,595 Posts

Welp, I don't know what to say.....most DOC's have gone to using jpay or some other fee based service. In ky, can't even send money orders anymore. Haven't been able to for some years.

....and if you think that's bad, have you set up your phone for inmate calls yet? If not, you might wanna sit down first.

It is what it is: Their House / Their Rules.

patchouli, PTO Admin

The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
xolady (11-07-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
Welp, I don't know what to say.....most DOC's have gone to using jpay or some other fee based service. In ky, can't even send money orders anymore. Haven't been able to for some years.

....and if you think that's bad, have you set up your phone for inmate calls yet? If not, you might wanna sit down first.

It is what it is: Their House / Their Rules.
I have seen phone rates but at least I am seeing some changes happening in that regard. To see what I have to pay to send money go up makes no sense to me other than the state is just trying to make more money off us who did nothing wrong!
Old 10-20-2017, 11:23 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 36,025 Times in 16,595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by umnsmith View Post
I have seen phone rates but at least I am seeing some changes happening in that regard. To see what I have to pay to send money go up makes no sense to me other than the state is just trying to make more money off us who did nothing wrong!
Yep. Its a making machine.....for both the service provider and the DOC/BOP. Prisons get kickbacks from the providers of the services (phone, commissary, etc).

Having a loved one in prison is expensive

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 10-20-2017, 11:46 PM

It is what it is, being from abroad even sending money can be impossible without the help of some really lovely friend. Like Patchouli said their house their rules. If you can't fight them join them.
Old 11-07-2017, 02:02 AM

Missouri DOC has switched from using AccessCorrections to using Jpay. Access Corrections has their own schedule of fees and has corresponding associated services. The reason that DOC chose to end their agreement with AccessCorrections is because the department uses JPay to issue debit cards with remaining inmate account balances to offenders upon release. The switch was made because they were already utilizing JPay for other services. The Missouri DOC does not set or schedule the associated fees, the vendor does.

If you have a valid complaint about JPay and their associated fees, go to their contact information on their website and lodge a complaint, it is really your only avenue for a voice on this issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to GlassCity1982 For This Useful Post:
xolady (11-07-2017)
Old 11-07-2017, 07:14 AM

Thanked 5,993 Times in 3,116 Posts

Oh I'm sure each and every state who uses J-pay is making money off of them the same way the phone companies like securus are. J-pay used to except money orders sent in to them it took up to 15 days from receipt to be credited to the inmates account, I don't know if they still do. I wonder if the federal government will ever step in as they have to with other banking institutions regarding fees.