Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events + 3 Strikes
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

California Prison & Criminal Justice News & Events + 3 Strikes Do you have news relating to California's Prison or Ciminal Justice System and related efforts? Post them here! Also discuss 3 Strike laws.

Old 10-29-2017, 10:52 AM

Default California bans "the box"

I did not even know California was even considering banning the box until I saw an article on it yesterday. I'm not sure how this is going to play out here since as of January 1st it can no longer be asked on job applications. From what I have read if the sole reason that they deny you employment is based on your criminal history then they have to let you know that's the reason why. I'm thinking most employers aren't going to be willing to admit this and just say you are over or under qualified for the job. I find it funny now with a possible move to AZ that now my city has lifted the residency restrictions on RSOs as well now they are getting ready to redo the SO registry and ban the box.What are your thoughts on banning the box? Is this going to be helpful or hurtful?

California ‘Bans the Box,’ Prohibits Salary History Queries

California employers will need to modify their job applications and update their training for those involved in the hiring process after California Gov. Jerry Brown signed two new laws, both effective Jan. 1.

California became the 10th state to require private-sector employers to "ban the box" on employment applications asking about applicants' criminal conviction histories when Brown signed A.B. 1008 on Oct. 14.

The law prohibits most public and private employers with five or more employees from asking applicants about criminal conviction histories until after a conditional offer of employment has been made. Positions required by law to undergo employment screening are exempted.

Here is a link to an article:
https://www.shrm.org/resourcesandtoo...y-queries.aspx

Edited by Admin to conform with PTO's Copyright Rules

Last edited by patchouli; 10-29-2017 at 10:59 AM.. Reason: Copyright Rules
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2018, 10:57 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,569 Times in 715 Posts
Default California Increasing Rehab Efforts to Keep Ex-Inmates Out of Prison

Jerry Brown wants to add millions in new spending on programs to help former inmates stay out of jail—a proposal generating bipartisan praise because of concern they are returning to prison in large numbers. But some say it still isn’t enough....Read more..

https://timesofsandiego.com/politics...out-of-prison/
Old 01-30-2018, 12:06 PM
Site Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 23,124 Times in 8,169 Posts

Part of the issue I take with articles such as this is that they are trying to target a general audience and giving really, horrendously, mixed ideas.

State prisons are run vastly different than county facilities. So when you lump the recidivism rate of ALL released inmates in the last year-- you're talking everyone from a 90 day stay for petty crimes to someone who just did 25 years. These are two different inmates with two very different incarceration experiences. You cannot talk about them in the same way.

Secondly, programs are increasing in some state facilities. But CDCR continues to cite safety as the reason for the lag in Level 4 facilities. Until they figure out how to stop using that as an excuse and admit that better programming reduces risk inside, they're spinning their wheels. The proof is in the C-files of Level 4 inmates who have been lucky enough to be given an override and dropped to a 3. Those people are thriving in a less restrictive, positive-programming environment.

But when you use sweeping statements to talk about incarceration in media directed at general public, there will always be misunderstandings. The "lock them up and throw away the key" mentality is still there and this doesn't help.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamac For This Useful Post:
mikeq (01-30-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 12:51 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,569 Times in 715 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamac View Post
Part of the issue I take with articles such as this is that they are trying to target a general audience and giving really, horrendously, mixed ideas.

State prisons are run vastly different than county facilities. So when you lump the recidivism rate of ALL released inmates in the last year-- you're talking everyone from a 90 day stay for petty crimes to someone who just did 25 years. These are two different inmates with two very different incarceration experiences. You cannot talk about them in the same way.

Secondly, programs are increasing in some state facilities. But CDCR continues to cite safety as the reason for the lag in Level 4 facilities. Until they figure out how to stop using that as an excuse and admit that better programming reduces risk inside, they're spinning their wheels. The proof is in the C-files of Level 4 inmates who have been lucky enough to be given an override and dropped to a 3. Those people are thriving in a less restrictive, positive-programming environment.

But when you use sweeping statements to talk about incarceration in media directed at general public, there will always be misunderstandings. The "lock them up and throw away the key" mentality is still there and this doesn't help.
I completely agree with the generalization and yes CDCr does have its issues. The good news in all of this is that the conversation is being had and moreover, programming has begun whereas 5 years ago there was little to nothing driven by CDCr. If you look back on the 3 judge order, the foundation was laid by creating and implementing CCTRP (Custody to Community Reentry Program) which has grown and is showing tremendous benefit.