Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service All information relating to parole, probation, halfway houses, community service and electronic monitoring in Pennsylvania should be posted here.

View Poll Results: Married, dating, or engaged to an inmate???
Married 8 21.62%
Dating 10 27.03%
Engaged 19 51.35%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-21-2008, 12:30 AM

Question A Couple Questions About Pre-release And Parole

This is my first time posting....
Ok, first off my fiance is in state now. He's been incarserated for almost 2 yrs now. Long story short... he was a firefighter who commited arson to the local barns. They sentenced him 4 - 20 yrs. He's been doing way more than is required, as far as classes he's supposed to take and extra, college courses, helping around the block, staying out of trouble (misconduct free) etc.... My question is, what is the likely hood of him getting out on his minimum??? Or even getting approved for pre-release first of course? What if he's like an hour or so away once he gets put in a halfway house, would that effect his chances of coming home? We're not married yet, but we have a son together, will they let him come home to us cause we're not married? I saw they send the registered victims a letter telling them that the inmate is going to be going for pre-release or parole, and they get to give their thoughts and feelings on that, as well as the sentencing judge and DA? What kind of impact could they have on the final decision? And what are REGISTERED VICTIMS???
Before he was sentenced his PD told him, the DA would offer him 2-4 yrs and he thought that was great, but he didn't take it, then he went to court and his PD came up to him and said "I'm sorry, I mis-understood the DA, they are offering you 8-20" So that destroyed him sooooooooo bad! Of course he didn't take the deal. Later back at court I guess the judge either told him or his PD that he don't see why they were going so high, and if he would do an open plea, he'd (the judge) go with 2-7. But then somehow it turned to the highest we'll go for your minimum would be 4 yrs. (instead of 8) I'm just confused how all these numbers are so extremely different? I could seriouslly go on and on with all of this. Honestly I feel like explaining everything, but I don't want you all to hate me right away... (lol) I have no one to talk to, my family isn't very supportive, got no friends for a long time, and I have issues with our 3 1/2 yr. old son. He's a holy terror for me, and my anxieties are through the roof with all this stuff I'm dealing with, so I REALLY need people who know what I'm going through to talk to.
GOD BLESS ALL YOU ! XOXO
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2008, 06:40 PM
Donation Award 

his minimum is 4 yrs and his max is 20 he will need to complete his minimum then come up for parole and evaluation. Stay strong
The Following User Says Thank You to alliebobo For This Useful Post:
lillyqueen84 (09-22-2008)
Old 09-21-2008, 07:40 PM
...over easy
Donation Award 

Your best bet is to view the entire DOC pre-release policy at:
http://www.cor.state.pa.us/standards...Pre-Rlease.pdf

Pre-release approvals for individuals for serious crimes [like arson] must go to high levels of DOC administration in Harrisburg. One does not have to complete their minimum before applying [actually one can apply 18 months before their minimum sentence as long as they have been incarcerated at least for 9 months]. Again, read the policy.

With such a long maximum sentence, it is not likely he will paroled first time around [he would have to be on parole for 16 years], but you never know. One of their questions will be how he has addressed his crimes since his incarceration and will determine if he has "done enough" that he will not present a significant safety risk to the community. Victims have the right to provide statements or testimony concerning any prisoner's upcoming parole proceeding.

There are resources for loved ones of those incarcerated, depending on your location. There are counselor's and therapists who do have experience in working with individuals like yourself and your child. Feel free to PM me with your general location and I can provide you w/some of those resources.

ERacism

...if i know anything at all,
it's that a wall is just a wall
and nothing more at all,
it can be broken down.

---assata shakur
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to egs For This Useful Post:
bobble60 (04-03-2009), lillyqueen84 (09-21-2008), missumonolo07 (05-19-2009)
Old 04-10-2009, 01:19 AM
Outmate missin her inmate

That is a tough one. I don't know what to say,except I am so sorry.
He will have to do the min of 4 years. Now, due to what is going on with our lovely system, I heard no one is getting pre release at all. Even non violent offenders. Not sure if this is a fact, but a counselor told it to my friend, and he was shocked. The counselor even said that it is not right, but the DOC is doing it.

Joe's Wife For Life

WE is so much better than I, if YOU need proof, just look at US
Old 05-20-2009, 07:49 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,306 Times in 1,270 Posts

And yet the centers remain filled with guys on pre-release ... Pre-release is still happening, albeit more carefully.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inmatez Wife View Post
That is a tough one. I don't know what to say,except I am so sorry.
He will have to do the min of 4 years. Now, due to what is going on with our lovely system, I heard no one is getting pre release at all. Even non violent offenders. Not sure if this is a fact, but a counselor told it to my friend, and he was shocked. The counselor even said that it is not right, but the DOC is doing it.
Not sure what was going on there but my fiance is waiting for a bed date now, so there are people being released on pre-release. I think before you panic you really need to contact the resources available to you in my case my fiance's counselor always received a phone call from me to find out what is going on.. Sometimes they need to know that your man has family involvement. Also, read the information on pre-release on this website it should help clear up some of the questions you have and find out what is going on and please keep your head up. I am sorry I cant offer you more advice....Please feel free to pm me if you need to talk.