Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service All information relating to parole, probation, halfway houses, community service and electronic monitoring in Pennsylvania should be posted here.

Old 08-17-2009, 04:47 PM

Unhappy 85% of time for violent offences?

hey, so my husband has a sentence of 1-2 years and being that they consider his crime violent he was told that he would have to do 85% of his time how true is this? So that means on this sentence he would have to do close to 19 mths is that correct?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2009, 07:23 PM
...over easy
Donation Award 

There is no good time in PA so there is no 85% rule...it's day for day sentencing. However, he should be eligible for parole after he has served 1 year of his sentence. And who is this "they" that you refer to as "authorities" on sentencing? "They" don't sound too reliable!!! lol
Hope this is of some help.

ERacism

...if i know anything at all,
it's that a wall is just a wall
and nothing more at all,
it can be broken down.

---assata shakur
The Following User Says Thank You to egs For This Useful Post:
bobble60 (08-25-2009)
Old 08-19-2009, 08:34 AM

Inmates are eligible for parole upon their minimum sentence. So if your guy got a 1-2 year sentence, he would be eligible for parole when the one year part of the sentence is up. Remember, parole is not a right, so it could take longer.
Old 08-20-2009, 12:49 AM
Account Closed

i have heard very different and i have also heard that there is no good time but i have done my research and have heard from other women on here that in half the minimum you can apply for pre-release.. and it can be earlier than one year before the minimum. this is what they told my boyfriend who is in a state pa prison. i ask him all the time because i want him here so bad and he keeps telling me they told him this since day 1
Old 08-20-2009, 06:21 AM

From what I understand they can apply for pre release 18 months before their minimum but with a 1-2 year sentence I am not sure how much sense that makes since his minimum is a year.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:24 AM

It works like this. To be eligible for pre relase you have to have surved at least half of your minimum and be within a year from it. Example my man has 3-6 years. Half of his minimum is 1 .5 years, but he is still 1.5 away from his minimum of 3 years so he would have to do another 6 months to make him 1 year away from his minimum. But they let you apply for it when you are 18 months away from your minimum because it takes 6 months to get approved. So in dec he will be elible for pre relase because that would make him 18months. If he gets approved in july he will get sent to a halfway house where he will do a year.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:33 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,306 Times in 1,270 Posts

Item 1: The "85% rule" is not applicable to PA. This is a creation of the USDOJ to qualify for VOP/TIS grants. To do so, states which offer good time must certify that Part I offenders serve at least 85% of the sentence imposed. PA doesn't have this problem: all inmates must serve 100% of their minimum sentence. The maximum sentence is not involved at all.

Item 2: A 1-2 year sentence won't get pre-release. You also must serve one year in the DOC to be eligible ... and he'll be past his minimum by that date. Pre-release is meant for long-term offenders, as a means of re-entry preparation. It was never intended for the short sentences (under 5 years.)
heismyking (09-03-2009)