Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > KENTUCKY > Kentucky Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Kentucky Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation, work release and community service in Kentucky should be posted here.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:09 PM
Forever & Always.

Unhappy What happens next after parole revocation?

My husband has gone to jail. He has a Class D Felony. He went to court yesterday, and judge had him revoked, and gave him his 5 years. His public defender told him to revoke everything. Last year he did 5 months of his 5 year sentence. He was told he will be able to go up for Parole in 7 months, that's in March. He hasn't been transferred to a Prison just yet. A Class D Felon will be going to a work prison? What's that, does that help? What other things can he do to get time taken off of his sentence? I heard G.E.D takes off 90 days, which is 3 months. I've been driving myself crazy, I'm only 22. & We will be married a year in January. I'm new to all of this including ''Jail, and Prison'' -- Can anyone help me, or answer any of my questions. I'd greatly appreciate it.

Oh, and we are in Kentucky. Anybody know anything?!
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2012, 05:39 PM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 18,836 Times in 7,310 Posts

You'll probably get more answers to this in your state specific forum. I'll move it there for you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LifeTraveler For This Useful Post:
S.Leek1312 (08-30-2012), sass4221 (08-29-2012)
Old 08-29-2012, 06:55 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,031 Times in 12,726 Posts

His lawyer will know if he will receive credit for the 5 months he served in jail before he was sentenced. It is likely that he will.

The parole rules in your state will determine when he is eligible to see the board, and the board will determine if he will be released then, or set off for a period of time. I know how confusing all of this is, and I hope he gets released soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to fbopnomore For This Useful Post:
S.Leek1312 (08-30-2012)
Old 08-29-2012, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 6,042 Times in 3,002 Posts

Class Ds usually stay in a class D county jail instead of going to prison. There are supposed to be programs and jobs there for them to earn credits, but that often isn't the case. Yes, earning a GED does give 90 days off. If he gets a job of some sort, he can earn up to I think 4 days a month. And good behavior is usually up to 7 days a month. He probably won't stay in the jail close to you, so be prepared if they move him farther away.

If you have extra money, put some on his books and phone. And write as often as you can too.

Good luck, we're here for you.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:53 AM

yes he will get his time credited that hes already spent. Good Time and work credit cuts it down to 5/21 (5mo, 21 days) just good time 6/21. I am going threw this currently. Also non violents are eligible to for 180 days early release. So, if hes good, he might spend 19 months.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:03 AM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,004 Times in 16,146 Posts

If he's in a Class D facility, there may not be enough work opportunities for him to get enough hours for the 4 days a month credit, but he may get some part of it. That's exactly the case in our county, also a Class D facility.

He'll be eligible for HIP at 10 months from a serve out, but its a 6-8 week paper process. Administrative Release is at 6 months before a serve out if he does not get HIP. If releasd on HIP ($5 per day), he can switch to parole ($25 per month) once granted Administrative Release and/or parole.

Obtaining a GED or taking any class that is 6 months or longer both result in 90 days off the back end of his sentence. As a side note: I know its a women's prison, but at Pee Wee Valley, when the inmate gets their GED, they also get $150 for their books. I'm not sure if the other prisons do this as well, but our Class D County facility does not give the $150.

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 09-11-2012, 03:53 PM
Forever & Always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsfuturewife View Post
yes he will get his time credited that hes already spent. Good Time and work credit cuts it down to 5/21 (5mo, 21 days) just good time 6/21. I am going threw this currently. Also non violents are eligible to for 180 days early release. So, if hes good, he might spend 19 months.

I really didn't understand any of that. :\
Old 09-11-2012, 04:05 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,004 Times in 16,146 Posts

Quote:
yes he will get his time credited that hes already spent
Time spent in jail awaiting trial is often "credited," taken off the sentence. However, that is not always the case with revocations. Its up to the attorney to ask for it and the Judge to grant it.

Jail time is sooooo much harder than prison time. Many Class D jails have very few programs and work opportunities. Taking classes/attending programs and working while incarcerated serves 2 purposes: 1) they take time off the sentence and 2) they help pass the time for the inmate.

State inmates get 7 days a month Good Time taken off their sentence. They also get 4 days a month taken off their sentence for working = 1 day for every 40 hours worked.

patchouli, PTO Admin

Last edited by patchouli; 09-11-2012 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: add comment