Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Pennsylvania Parole, Probation, Work Release, Halfway Houses & Community Service All information relating to parole, probation, halfway houses, community service and electronic monitoring in Pennsylvania should be posted here.

Old 04-05-2014, 03:34 PM
Account Closed

Thank you so much for your support. No, he isn't working with kids, just there near them. I guess I shouldn't have flown off the handle but I am so hurt and bewildered and because of what he did to me my suspicions are aroused. I am deleting myself from this forum... I know I should probably stay for the support but I just want to go on with my life and try to forget he was ever even in jail and forget him as best I can too. I cannot believe how cold some people can be. He used me for 5 years. I wish you all the very best, from the bottom of my heart.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2014, 05:09 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 2,306 Times in 1,270 Posts

Marilyn,

I hate to see you leave PTO. I realize how difficult this has been, and I can see where the things your brother is doing are raising some red flags. I share your belief that he will violate his parole; let's just hope it's for technical reasons and not for a new crime.

We're here to support each other. I hope you will remain with us.

Bob
Old 04-07-2014, 10:24 AM

Wink so sorry

Thank you for being honest, Marilyn. Most people would've just gone away and it took a lot for you to get on here and tell us what is really happening. It's a good wake-up call for all of us supporting SOs - you just.never.know.

I have been working hard to get a home plan in the works for my husband here in VA with me, but it's been a long road. I finally found a great organization here in my town who will help with a place to live and work. And when I called to get the paperwork started, they let me know they have a bed date for him at a halfway house in Arnold, PA. Anyone know anything about Alle-Kiske in Arnold? I'm going to submit the paperwork to come to VA anyway - he needs to be closer to home and support. His offense is not that egregious (online affair with 17-year-old) as compared to some others. Doesn't make it right, but hey, we're all being honest here.

I wanted to thank bobble60 for all of your hard work!! It must be paying off!! I got your PM and wanted to thank you publicly. These guys have nowhere to turn and maybe now the cycle of healing can begin for some of them, get a bed date and find a place to start. It's a tough call, how to handle this situation, but keeping them there after they're supposed to be released is not justice either, that's for sure.

I'll keep you posted. And Marilyn, if you're reading this, know we're all here for you, anytime you want to vent. You can leave if you want to - that's your call - but know that people who understand are here. I've felt so much better since reading posts and threads here. What a great healing spot for me. I hope you can move past this and worry about only yourself from now on.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:44 AM

PTO Moderator 

News item: The PA DOC has relaxed the home-plan requirement again. In my conversation with them this week, they told me they're now looking at "low risk" offenders as candidates for halfway houses even if there's no home plan approved. They determine risk through several actuarial instruments, measuring both general risk (the OVRT score) and some risks specific to former sex offenders.

Those determined to be low risk and not have home plans are now eligible for CCC placement and don't have to be within 24 months of their max dates. Those determined to be medium- or high-risk (including SVPs) must still have approved home plans. This is another small step forward.

Also realize that the very act of using "low-risk" to describe a former sex offender is unheard of. To me, this represents a paradigm shift that has implications far beyond the immediate problem.
christik999 (04-12-2014), tvboc (04-12-2014)
Old 04-12-2014, 05:45 PM
...slow fade to black...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobble60 View Post
News item: The PA DOC has relaxed the home-plan requirement again. In my conversation with them this week, they told me they're now looking at "low risk" offenders as candidates for halfway houses even if there's no home plan approved. They determine risk through several actuarial instruments, measuring both general risk (the OVRT score) and some risks specific to former sex offenders.

Those determined to be low risk and not have home plans are now eligible for CCC placement and don't have to be within 24 months of their max dates.
And this is why I'm flying to PA tomorrow to pick up my buddy and transport him to the CCC! I'm beyond excited and nervous!

Old 04-13-2014, 04:41 AM

PTO Moderator 

Congratulations!!!
tvboc (04-17-2014)
Old 04-29-2014, 10:30 AM

Default Well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvboc View Post
And this is why I'm flying to PA tomorrow to pick up my buddy and transport him to the CCC! I'm beyond excited and nervous!
So how did it go?? Picking up my husband on Monday to go to CCC... same, excited and nervous!
Old 06-01-2014, 05:37 AM

PTO Moderator 

Update:

We are meeting on June 12th with representatives of the DOC and PBPP to discuss the situation. Recently, the DOC has relaxed its requirements. They now do a risk assessment. Those whom THEY feel are low-risk can get to halfway houses without home plans.

Joining us at this meeting will be leadership from The New Person Center (Reading), The Just For Jesus Ministry (Brockway), Our Brother's Place (Philadelphia) and The Salvation Army.
Old 06-15-2014, 05:47 AM

PTO Moderator 

We had our meeting. (It only took three years to get everyone around the same table.)

We met at the DOC HQ outside Harrisburg. The DOC and PBPP were well represented, with Philadelphia and Pittsburgh joining us by video conference. We had representatives of the organizations listed above, as well as four key members of the Prison Society's Policy Subcommittee for Sex offense Issues (lawyer, chaplain, former offenders and yours truly.)

The two-hour meeting was more than we could have expected. The community organizations expressed their concerns and obstacles; the state agencies listened and offered solutions. As of the 12th, there were 297 former sex offenders living in halfway houses. (There were zero three years ago.) All halfway houses must allow 10% of their beds to go to sex offenders.

Home plans are being waived in some cases, as I've mentioned earlier. SVPs still pose the biggest problem because of active community notification.

Very soon (August?), select representatives of this group will meet with county commissioners to ask them to allow more transitional housing. Right now, three counties can rightfully feel that the homeless parolees are being "dumped" in their counties. We need to change that.

Information will be produced for inmates that will explain the importance of planning for their release very early. Many burn bridges with family or simply don't keep in touch. When parole approaches, they have no one to turn to. this creates many of the difficult cases. Also, inmates need to save money while in prison, especially in the two years leading up to parole. Having as little as $400 on the inmate account sends a clear message about personal responsibility. (Having the newest TV has never been correlated with release.)

The DOC does risk assessments, including an LSI-R as parole approaches. (This is a non-static measurement of the individual's risk level.) Obviously, program completion and a clean conduct record go a long way here.

Job skills and employability are important. Parolees need skills which are in demand today, even if it's janitorial. Spending five years washing pots and pans (because you can swipe sandwiches in the kitchen) won't cut it. Take the pay cut, forego the swag, and take a job on the plumbing crew. Unless you have a letter saying your job is waiting, you need skills that will quickly lead to gainful employment.

Be able to work with prison staff. Being released without an approved home plan will require cooperation. generally, it's the unit counselor who becomes your advocate, so make friends!
christik999 (06-15-2014)
Old 10-15-2015, 10:53 PM

Default Paroled no place to go.

Not sure you can help me well actually my brother which ask me to look up DOC halfway house or boarding houses for him. He has no home plan, has been paroled a couple months now but no where to go. He is on Megan list 1 for contact on internet with PSP posing as 13 year old. No hands on contact with no kids. Some say he was stone drunk at the time. Doesn't matter he did what he did So he has done his time not sure if he has learned his lesson, Not sure what the prison system done for him or prepared him for a job. If he would of had a job in the first place probably wouldn't of been on computer. Ok back to him getting out he says he wrote a bunch of places and wanted me to find more not sure who he wrote found these post and copied some address off here. Really not sure what good they will do him though. I was hoping to get him into a Christian based facility local but they say they won't take him because he is on antidepressants. Not sure if this is an excuse or truth. This whole situation makes me mentally tired just thinking about it. I hope I posted this in the right place sorry if I didn't.

Quote:
I want to use this thread to keep everyone updated on an evolving issue.

Two years ago, no halfway house would accept a paroled sex offender. Our best estimate was that about 1,000 men were paroled but still sitting in prison. Trhough major efforts in HBG, the policy was changed and men began to slowly leave.

At first, they were all sent to Progress CCC, a secure facility on the grounds of SCI Greene. (By "secure," I mean it has a fence around it and no one leaves for any reason except to go back to prison or be released.)

We argued that there was no benefit. Residents told us they just sat around all day. Slowly, other centers were opened for sex offenders. menw ere being placed closer to home and being allowed to look for jobs in the community. The catch was that the parolee had to have an approved home plan before getting a bed date.

We argued again! We feel that the centers should be for those with no home plan, allowing them to find a home when they have no one out here to do it for them. The DOC reluctantly yielded for those within 6 months of their max dates.

We upped the volume. Back in November, the first inmate with no home plan and years from his max date arrived at Philadelphia CCC#2. He is still there and now has a job. When he violated a minor rule, he went to the PVCC at Liberty instead of back to prison. The prejudice seems to be leaving the system.

To say this has been a battle would be an understatement. Each gain was achieved because we lobbied on behalf of a specific individual. (There are people in HBG who must dread seeing my number on their CID.) We went so far as to draft a comprehensive report and make a solid proposal for a special center, and then suggested we'd release the report to the legislature in a news conference at budget time ... So now the system works for sex offenders.

As of this week, there are 111 men housed in 20 centers statewide. most are clustered in one or two centers per region, with a few spread out elsewhere -- possibly for special programs.

Region 1 (East):
Philadelphia CCC#2: 15
Philadelphia CCC#4: 8
Liberty Management (North): 3
Gaudenzia First, Kintock & Liberty (Phoenix): 1 each.

Region 2 (Central):
Harrisburg CCC: 14
Hazleton Treatment Center: 2
Keystone Corrections Services: 1.

Region 3 (West):
Progress CCC: 43
Sharon CCC: 6
Renewal #1: 6
Erie CCC: 4
Johnstown CCC & Pittsburgh CCC: 2 each
Riverside CCC and Alle-Kiski: 1 each.

(I update this about every 8 weeks)

Some things to keep in mind:
1. The parolee does not need an approved home plan and does not have to be within 6 months of maxing out. (DOC counselors and parole agents don't always know this.)
2. The parolee should be able to show that he has made good effort to get an approved home plan and been denied at least once; being denied more than once may take longer but makes the case stronger.
3. If the parolee is sent to a center and can't get a home plan approved after 90 to 120 days, they will send him to a homeless shelter.
4. He can agree to accept a bed anywhere in the state, which means he's likely to go to Progress CCC.

Please post any personal experiences or observations here. Your input is valuable in our efforts to continually improve the process.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:41 AM

PTO Moderator 

I want to take this opportunity to post a long-overdue update. We have continued to meet with the DOC, PBPP and community organizations twice each year.

The most important item that seems to be lost on inmates is the need to maintain ties with family and friends while incarcerated. The DOC and the Board never stop reminding the inmates that they will need a home plan for parole at some point, and that neither agency is responsible for finding one. Halfway houses (CCCs) are NOT home plans; they are merely transitional housing between prison and the home plan. as such, parolees can't apply to centers; those referrals must originate with the inmate's counselor and are decided by the Bureau of Community Corrections. Letters to the halfway houses under contract with the DOC will generally go unanswered.

Eventually, more than 90% of paroled former sex offenders wind up living either by themselves or with family/friends. While this seems unthinkable during the home plan process, it's the inevitable reality. This is why we encourage parolees to "work their contacts" with family and friends, because THOSE are the people who will eventually make the release happen. Relying on the DOC or PBPP is just a waste of time. It's not their job.

Having said that, the more centers have opened beds for former sex offenders, so more men are "in transition." They key requirement is the approved home plan, unless the parolee is within 24 months of maxing out. SVPs pose special problems due to active community notification, so nearly all of them are sent to the Progress CCC in Waynesburg or other "secure" centers. Again, if there's a home plan, these stays are brief.

There are a few organizations that offer housing for paroled former sex offenders, but they total less than 100 beds statewide. They have restrictions (imposed by the PBPP) on who they can accept, and they have long waiting lists. Parolees must consider these only as the last resort and then "get in line".

These community organizations generally operate in the face of serious opposition from their neighbors and local politicians. They are also 'charities," in that they get no funding other than what is donated by local ministries or assessed to the residents as "room and board." These are the reasons why there are so few in existence.

If your loved one is approaching parole release, it's imperative that he or she explores every possible resource within their circle of family and friends. (These are the same people who make up the support network that the Board considers in deciding parole anyway.) If no one can house the parolee, then start looking for a rental unit that will accept him or her, be prepared to pay the rent until the parolee arrives, etc.

No home plan need be permanent. In general, the field agent is hoping for at least six months residency, so the home plan can be a "transitional" one until the parolee is self-supporting. At the same time, the parolee can not appear to be facing homelessness down the road, as this can be used to recommit him or her to a halfway house.

This is a complex problem that requires help from all directions.
waitinguntil001 (10-18-2015)
Old 10-18-2015, 05:13 PM

Curious if there are any special "laws" on SVP's being paroled. Do they have to do a curtain amount of time or is their min. the same as everyone else? I can't help but think a SVP is not going to get paroled on their min. Any type of info. you can give on them vs other SO's or is it the same other then the CC center/home plans?
Old 10-19-2015, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom88 View Post
Curious if there are any special "laws" on SVP's being paroled. Do they have to do a curtain amount of time or is their min. the same as everyone else? I can't help but think a SVP is not going to get paroled on their min. Any type of info. you can give on them vs other SO's or is it the same other then the CC center/home plans?
Although each inmates (defendant's case) is different from one inmate to the next even for sex offenders the criteria for programming needs and fitting all requirements to be considered for parole are basically the same for any sex offender inmate in the state prison system. You state "laws". The only law that is on the books as of today (as far as I know) is that an inmate must take the Sex Offender Treatment program before they can see the board. These programs range from 6 to 18 months followed by what they call "after care" program.

Quote:
Do they have to do a curtain amount of time or is their min. the same as everyone else? I can't help but think a SVP is not going to get paroled on their min.
An inmate classified as an SVP has the same challenges to meet as a; well we will call it a "non" SVP sex offender when being considered for parole. If classified as an SVP they must serve at least their minimum sentence before being paroled. There is nothing on the books as far as I know that dictates that if an inmate is an SVP that they must automatically serve more than their minimum sentence before being parole. So in theory they can be released any time after they have served their minimum sentence.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to waitinguntil001 For This Useful Post:
bobble60 (10-25-2015)
Old 10-19-2015, 08:41 AM

Thanks, he is almost done with his 18 month SO program. I'm just trying to get as many facts as I can as we get closer to his parole date.
Old 10-20-2015, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Thanks, he is almost done with his 18 month SO program. I'm just trying to get as many facts as I can as we get closer to his parole date.
Good for him. He is on his way. Meantime has he mentioned anything about an "after care" program that follows the SO treatment program? Back around 2009-2010 it used to be a year long program for aftercare. One class period per month for 12 months. Then they, I guess, realized that was really holding up the inmates for release and then consolidated the aftercare program to meet something like 3 to 4 times a month for 4 months, then down to once a week for 1 to 2 months. And so on. Some inmates were being paroled upon completion of the aftercare program and even some on completion of their SO treatment program without any stipulation of an aftercare program to follow before parole release. I don't quite know what it is as of today. It has been more than 5 years or so since I had some very good inside knowledge of it.

I would ask him if he knows, "Not guesses", if he has to take an "Aftercare" program and how long that program is in time. You may want to post in this forum a separate thread asking if anyone else has a loved one presently in a sex offender program or one that has just completed the SO treatment program in Penn and if they had to take the aftercare program and how long it was. As I said I know back around 2009-2010 as long as you were past your minimum and completed the SO program you could still be parole prior to completing the aftercare. But that could have changed since then. Have him ask his consilor or even his program facilitator.

The one thing I will tell you that you should start doing now if you have anything to do with it and that is start working on a "home plan" for him. I don't know your relationship with him but if at all possible it would help if you can help him arrange for a home plan from the "outside". Does he have family etc that are willing to take him in? If not, does he have the financial ability to pay for a "room for rent" if released. If looking for an apartment or room for rent look for ones being renting by individual persons and not corporations/management companies. I know many inmates to be paroled fared well in finding landlords that own small boarding houses that rent rooms. Look in Craigslist. If you find a few get their addresses of the actual room to be rented. Look at the Megans site and look up that address and see if other sex offenders are living at that address. That could be a good indicator that the landlord rents to SOs. It takes a bit of research but it can be done. If renting a room (if one is available) you will probably have to put up a deposit on the room to be held by the landlord while the home plan is being investigated by the field agent. If it is turned down you will more than likely loss the deposit. That is why I say do some research, cross reference the addresses on Megans site with present SOs in the area and see if rooms/aprtments are available where they are living. Then if no other options then the halfway houses. I know of a few sex offenders renting rooms that cost like $450-$600 a month that include everything including heat/water/cable/internet/electric/garbage etc. They only have to pay for food. This is far cheaper than renting an apartment at $600 per month and then having additional expenses after that. Again, when looking for rooms for rent etc stay with privately owned properties not corporate managed properties. If you are in the area of where he will be living take a drive around town and surrounding areas with your car and look for signs posted in front of houses "rooms for rent" and call the tele numbers. Get the addresses and cross reference them to the Megans site.

Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to waitinguntil001 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2015, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitinguntil001 View Post
Good for him. He is on his way. Meantime has he mentioned anything about an "after care" program that follows the SO treatment program? Back around 2009-2010 it used to be a year long program for aftercare. One class period per month for 12 months. Then they, I guess, realized that was really holding up the inmates for release and then consolidated the aftercare program to meet something like 3 to 4 times a month for 4 months, then down to once a week for 1 to 2 months. And so on. Some inmates were being paroled upon completion of the aftercare program and even some on completion of their SO treatment program without any stipulation of an aftercare program to follow before parole release. I don't quite know what it is as of today. It has been more than 5 years or so since I had some very good inside knowledge of it.

I would ask him if he knows, "Not guesses", if he has to take an "Aftercare" program and how long that program is in time. You may want to post in this forum a separate thread asking if anyone else has a loved one presently in a sex offender program or one that has just completed the SO treatment program in Penn and if they had to take the aftercare program and how long it was. As I said I know back around 2009-2010 as long as you were past your minimum and completed the SO program you could still be parole prior to completing the aftercare. But that could have changed since then. Have him ask his consilor or even his program facilitator.

The one thing I will tell you that you should start doing now if you have anything to do with it and that is start working on a "home plan" for him. I don't know your relationship with him but if at all possible it would help if you can help him arrange for a home plan from the "outside". Does he have family etc that are willing to take him in? If not, does he have the financial ability to pay for a "room for rent" if released. If looking for an apartment or room for rent look for ones being renting by individual persons and not corporations/management companies. I know many inmates to be paroled fared well in finding landlords that own small boarding houses that rent rooms. Look in Craigslist. If you find a few get their addresses of the actual room to be rented. Look at the Megans site and look up that address and see if other sex offenders are living at that address. That could be a good indicator that the landlord rents to SOs. It takes a bit of research but it can be done. If renting a room (if one is available) you will probably have to put up a deposit on the room to be held by the landlord while the home plan is being investigated by the field agent. If it is turned down you will more than likely loss the deposit. That is why I say do some research, cross reference the addresses on Megans site with present SOs in the area and see if rooms/aprtments are available where they are living. Then if no other options then the halfway houses. I know of a few sex offenders renting rooms that cost like $450-$600 a month that include everything including heat/water/cable/internet/electric/garbage etc. They only have to pay for food. This is far cheaper than renting an apartment at $600 per month and then having additional expenses after that. Again, when looking for rooms for rent etc stay with privately owned properties not corporate managed properties. If you are in the area of where he will be living take a drive around town and surrounding areas with your car and look for signs posted in front of houses "rooms for rent" and call the tele numbers. Get the addresses and cross reference them to the Megans site.

Good luck.
He called as I was reading this. He is going to ask his SO treatment (teacher) about this after care since he's never heard of it and he's on the SO block where everyone does the program. I do know he had the option to do a 6 month or 18 month program and he elected to do the 18 month in hopes he'd learn more and get more out of it which he has. All he's been told he has to do yet is violence prevention yet and tc and he's done. But, he's going to ask.

His homeplan is all on me. We might get some financial help from his family, but that's about the only help he'll get. Which is fine. He and I will figure it out somehow. And I will check into the rooms from the website, that was my plan to see where others were living to get an idea. I just think being a SVP makes things so much harder, not impossible but harder.

Thanks for all the info.!!!
Old 10-21-2015, 04:37 AM

Quote:
I do know he had the option to do a 6 month or 18 month program and he elected to do the 18 month in hopes he'd learn more and get more out of it which he has.
That was a wise decision on his part.

Quote:
He is going to ask his SO treatment (teacher) about this after care since he's never heard of it
It is possible they no longer require that. My reference was back to 2009-2010.

Quote:
I just think being a SVP makes things so much harder, not impossible but harder.
Yes indeed it is a test of strength and endurance. It will not be an easy road for him. He is lucky that he has you on the outside to help him and some family financial support; many don't even have that. Inmates without that have a far more difficult time of being released.

Also, I don't know if you are aware of this but this forum has an area for sex offenders. Click HERE and and it will take you to the forum that is more specific to sex offenders on this site. Just be aware that this forum is for all states of the US so some things may not apply to him (Penn) but at least it will give you more information to work with.

Good luck to you and him.

Last edited by waitinguntil001; 10-21-2015 at 04:42 AM..
Old 02-07-2016, 08:22 AM

PTO Moderator 

Not much has happened in the past six months. The Bureau of Community Corrections is in the process of changing leadership 9transfers and retirements) so we're only now planning our next meeting.

Some of us will be touring Progress CCC and sitting down with the residents there. I hope it will be this month.

I want to highlight a couple of important points:

1. Getting placed in a CCC without an approved home plan is still an uphill battle. The number of organizations / ministries that offer temporary housing to paroled former sex offenders is very few and the waiting lists are very long. I can't emphasize enough the importance of finding a home plan with family or friends.

2. Some green sheets are now coming back with residency restrictions (specific towns, counties, etc.) We're looking in to this and have already mentioned it in an amicus brief before the Superior Court.

3. My advice to those convicted of a sexual offense and are just entering the DOC is the same: Don't break ties with family and friends. you will need them someday.
Imhishesmine (02-12-2016), waitinguntil001 (02-07-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 12:55 PM

Specific towns and counties. As in possibly being denied going to the offending town/county or just town and counties just because? Or because of the Victim?
Old 02-14-2016, 08:44 AM

PTO Moderator 

We haven't seen enough of these green sheet restrictions to identify a pattern. Our first guess is that they're geographically separating parolees from their victims. We saw one that barred the parolee from "Northeast Philadelphia," which is a huge part of the city. Another specifically listed two small towns in a mostly uninhabited county.

At the other end of the rainbow, there's no hiding the virtual "moratorium" in several mid-state counties that comprise the district of s certain state senator.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:51 AM

See, that's what I'd suspect. As well as maybe the relationship between victim and inmate. This is why my first thought and idea is to move a few counties away. Not just hoping for parole but also thinking of the victim.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:04 AM

PTO Moderator 

As I said back on February 7th, four of us toured the Progress CCC on February 29th.

Progress CCC is a converted minimum-security housing unit on the grounds of SCI Greene in Waynesburg. It definitely feels like a prison when you walk inside. It is totally secure: residents don't leave for any reason. It houses both PVs and paroled former sex offenders who have no home plans.

It is divided into three units, each of which contains several dorms. The dorms have bunks for up to 24 men, although the population was much lower. Each unit has its own bathrooms and showers. The gates to the units are open most of the day and there is a monitor station between them. Residents are not allowed onto other units.

PVs average 50 to 70 days there. The sex offenders can be stuck much longer. We met a few who'd been there 18 months already.

Meals are served in a dining room by inmates from SCI Greene. These inmates do not mix with the residents and are supervised by DOC staff at all times. There are vending machines and phones. The residents have access to commissary from SCI Greene. They have contact visits.

Sadly, this is a "maximum security halfway house," which is an oxymoron. The director is the former CO and security lieutenant, complete with combat boots. They also have a security lieutenant and he wears his Taser. The in-house parole agent was wearing her utility belt without a weapon, so even she is "security" not "treatment."

For all the attempts to call it something nicer, this is an upholstered prison.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:23 PM

Default Denied parole

Quote:
There is some news this week:

The DOC will consider parolees who don't have home plans. The "home-plan-first-for-sex-offenders" rule is not etched in stone anymore. They can be sent to halfway houses without home plans if they can show a strong likelihood that they will be able to get a home plan approved quickly once there. We're working on a guide for inmates that will help them develop the necessary support resources and then present them to the DOC in lieu of a home plan.

If you know of a paroled former sex offender who has been denied a halfway house bed because he or she doesn't have an approved home plan, let me know.
My brother have denied parole even when he had a home plan in place. He has been denied parole twice his case worker withheld information to the parole board. Can you please tell me what "CCC" is so I can forward this information to my brother. He is up for parole again in September of 2016. He was told that he didn't have a home plan and he did. First of all he was accused of a crime because a young woman lied to him about her age. He has done everything required of him and they still keep denying him parole. Please inform me as to what it is that I need to do to help him get paroled. He has served his time why are they trying to keep him there. He has money saved and his record has been good the whole time he's been in there. The games these people play with people life is unbelievable. Please help.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:13 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 35,023 Times in 16,154 Posts

CCC could mean a couple of things: Community Corrections (Halfway House) or Civil Commitment. Since the Board believes he did not have a Home Plan, I'm leaning towards Community Corrections, although Civil Commitment of a sex offender can happen--BUT: I'm not familiar with PA's parole system or whether PA has Civil Commitment in place, so be patient and someone who can better answer your questions will be along Welcome to PTO!

patchouli, PTO Admin

Old 03-10-2016, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah Chung View Post
My brother have denied parole even when he had a home plan in place. He has been denied parole twice his case worker withheld information to the parole board. Can you please tell me what "CCC" is so I can forward this information to my brother. He is up for parole again in September of 2016. He was told that he didn't have a home plan and he did. First of all he was accused of a crime because a young woman lied to him about her age. He has done everything required of him and they still keep denying him parole. Please inform me as to what it is that I need to do to help him get paroled. He has served his time why are they trying to keep him there. He has money saved and his record has been good the whole time he's been in there. The games these people play with people life is unbelievable. Please help.
Quote:
My brother have denied parole even when he had a home plan in place.
95% of the time if not 100% of the time the PA board will not even investigate a home plan if an inmate is not going to be granted parole. When you say he had a home plan in place are you saying he has a place to stay? If this is what you mean just because he has a place to stay does not mean he will be paroled. If the home plan was approved by a field agent and then he was denied parole that seems a bit strange but it has happened. Again, most times they won't even investigate a home plan unless the board plans on granting parole.

Quote:
He has been denied parole twice his case worker withheld information to the parole board.
This seems strange. What do you mean by withheld information. Withheld what type of information from the board, and how does he know that? Also, what do you mean by case worker, do you mean his councilor at the prison?

Quote:
Can you please tell me what "CCC" is so I can forward this information to my brother.
It is odd that if your brother is in a PA state prison that he does not know what a CCC is. But anyway, a CCC as referenced in Penn DOC is a community corrections center as patchouli pointed out. There is very limited space at a CCC for sex offenders.

Quote:
He has done everything required of him and they still keep denying him parole. Please inform me as to what it is that I need to do to help him get paroled.
If they keep denying him parole then there is still something that he needs to do. Just finishing his programs, having good behavior reports is not the only things that will help with parole. His green sheet should have stated why he was denied parole. In most cases of being denied parole as a sex offender the reasons stated are usually "lack of empathy of the victim", not taking full responsibility for the crime. Minimizing the crime etc. So even though he has completed the programs etc if he is falling short on any of these this could cause him to be denied, but once again his green sheet should state the reasons. Did he send you a copy of his green sheet for you to read?

Quote:
He has served his time why are they trying to keep him there.
Technically he has not "served his time" until he reaches his maximum date of his sentence. You must keep in mind that the board does not have to grant any inmate parole. Parole is ONLY a privilege and not a right.

Quote:
Please inform me as to what it is that I need to do to help him get paroled.
It is hard for any of us on the forum to tell you what he needs to do in order to be granted parole. If he has been denied twice already again, the green sheet will have listed on it the reasons. Those are the steps he needs to follow in order to be granted parole. We do not know the specifics of his case etc. He should direct all these concerns to his councilor and if he does not get any assistance from his councilor then he should direct his concerns to his unit manager and even his in-house parole agent.
The Following User Says Thank You to waitinguntil001 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (03-13-2016)