Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OREGON > Oregon General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oregon General Prison Talk, Introductions & Chit Chat Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Oregon that do not fit into any other Oregon sub-forum category. Please feel free to also introduce yourself to other members in the state and talk about whatever topics come to mind that may not have anything to do with prison.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:11 AM

Default Why do the dates on the Oregon Offender Search keep changing?

I had a question about the Oregon Offender Search, I check it everyday just because it kind of makes me feel a bit better seeing where my husband is because we can't really afford phone calls right now. But I check daily just to see if my husband is still at coffee creek intake or if it's changed yet and that his release date is the same.. But tonight when I checked it, it said that his earliest release date is pending again...

His counselor told him May 25, 2016 when he talked to her/him about maybe a week ago and on the site it has changed from October 8, 2016 to June 25, 2016 and is now pending..

Why would it be pending again and how long until they give him a for sure date or does it change sporadically? It's really stressing me out and making me worry because knowing his release date was giving me some comfort about when he was coming home..
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2012, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 9,812 Times in 3,812 Posts

At intake, one of the things they have to do is pin down the judge's sentence and do the sentencing calculations. My guess is that the counselor took a guess based on the sentencing order. Then the folks who do the calculations got to calculating and got it wrong. So they tried again.

By the time he gets to his parent institution, that will change and it should stop moving around on you.

Some of the sentencing calculations can be tricky to figure out. Far better that they're double-checking their math now than that your loved one spends even one day more than he has to inside.

If a sentence is for "10 years", that actually doesn't mean calendar years (e.g. aug. 23 intake to Aug 23 release) - most sentences are actually done by days, but the sentence will read in years. So the release date can be off by a couple of days here and there. In addition, if time served is part of it, and if there is more than one charge with more than one sentence, parts of the sentence may run concurrently while others run consecutively, then the calculations can get a bit hairy.

Keep checking, and be glad they're re-checking and re-checking the math. Last thing you'd want is for them to do it once, do it wrong, and end up with something worse.

I'm sorry you're short on funds for phone calls. Once he's inside, he'll be able (actually, required) to get a job and he should be able to save enough to be able to money on his phone account at least for short calls.

Meanwhile, for your sanity and his support, write write write. Letters are a rare commodity inside, and are greatly appreciated.
Old 11-21-2012, 01:13 AM
Lifecoach
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,998 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie.17 View Post
Why would it be pending again and how long until they give him a for sure date or does it change sporadically? It's really stressing me out and making me worry because knowing his release date was giving me some comfort about when he was coming home..
Depending on his sentence structure and whether he is eligible for good time credits, it may change from time to time as earned good time is applied and everything is re-calculated. Once he settles in, it shouldn't change any more than once every six months or so if he is eligible for good time, and then usually in a positive (less time/closer date) direction.

If he isn't eligible for good time credits, and has multiple charges and sentences, the sentence computation, as Ginger said, can be complicated and change as additional information is received from the Courts and re-calculated. It's all pretty normal...