Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OREGON > Oregon Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oregon Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Oregon Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:49 AM

Unhappy Telmate Raised Fee's on Commissary Deposits for Oregon

Not sure if anyone else has noticed this yet or not.. but apparently Telmate raised the fee's considerably at the beginning of December for depositing money onto an inmates trust/commissary account. The fee used to be a flat $4.50 for any deposit up to $250 (which is the limit), but now they have a step fee structure just like the other sites. Merry freaking Christmas right?

Telmate
deposit $100 and under, fee is $5.75
deposit $101-$200, fee is $7.75
deposit $201-$250, fee is $9.75

JPay
deposit $20 and under, fee is $3.95
deposit $21-$100, fee is $6.95
deposit $101-$200, fee is $8.95
deposit $201-$300, fee is $10.95

AccessCorrections
deposit $19.99 and under, fee is $2.95
deposit $20-$99.99, fee is $5.95
deposit $100-$199.99, fee is $7.95
deposit $200-$300.00, fee is $9.95

I called Telmate to verify that this raise was correct and not just a glitch in their system, and it is unfortunately correct... Just in time for the holidays...
Old 12-15-2015, 10:50 AM

Oh, also, you can only add money on AccessCorrections once every 14 days with the same card?? WTF is that about???
Old 12-16-2015, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,805 Posts

Also, you will be charged a cash advance fee, and most cards then will charge interest on the cash advance for the days of the cash advance before you pay the balance off in full.

So you get charged once by them and once by your credit card company. When I saw the interest charge come through, I called my credit card company to verify that it was a legit charge. She said "Is this for money given to someone in jail?" When I said yes, she told me that since the companies are converting the money into cash for the inmate, it's effectively a cash advance.

So it's coming from the credit cards, not from the vendors (although JPay has always charged a fee for as long as I've been doing this). TelMate and Access Corrections didn't because they also charge for a service. Now they're having to do double book keeping - money going to inmates is being charged differently than money going to phone or email services.

And... The dome building no longer allows "walk in" deposits. You can still deposit money "for free" by mailing a cashier's check or money order (no personal checks) to the dome building. The only hidden charges there is if your bank or whoever sold you the money order charges a fee for it.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:43 AM

There is no cash advance fee if you use a debit card though right? My debit card doesn't even have that capability I don't think.. Just my credit card. The money is there, that's why I'm using it, therefore there shouldn't be a cash advance fee.

I even had to send in a copy of the front of the debit card and my drivers license to prove it was my card because they blocked my account (thinking someone MUST have stolen it, because I deposited a whopping $300).

This whole process SUCKS.
Old 12-17-2015, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 9,785 Times in 3,805 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliahnamarie2 View Post
There is no cash advance fee if you use a debit card though right? My debit card doesn't even have that capability I don't think.. Just my credit card. The money is there, that's why I'm using it, therefore there shouldn't be a cash advance fee.

I even had to send in a copy of the front of the debit card and my drivers license to prove it was my card because they blocked my account (thinking someone MUST have stolen it, because I deposited a whopping $300).

This whole process SUCKS.
I hadn't thought about using a debit card. Hubby and I have a rule that we never use a debit card online since that's a straight line to our checking account. But I wouldn't think there'd be a cash advance fee for it, since, as you say, that's going from cash to cash, not credit to cash.

But yeah, it sucks no matter how you slice it. There's always the cashier's check mailed to Salem option, but that means having to go to the bank during bank hours, which, for me, is often really difficult to do because of the hours I work. And the Dome Building no longer allows walk-in deposits, it MUST be mailed to them.