Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OREGON > Oregon Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Oregon Prison & Jail Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Oregon Department of Corrections and local / county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 08-02-2020, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 9,812 Times in 3,812 Posts
Default Snake River email not going through

I just got a call from my friend at Snake River. He's not receiving my emails, and when he tries to send one to me, it says it sent, but then it doesn't charge him and it doesn't show up in his sent mail.

Heads up. Surprise, electronics malfunctions. *sigh*
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2020, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerM View Post
I just got a call from my friend at Snake River. He's not receiving my emails, and when he tries to send one to me, it says it sent, but then it doesn't charge him and it doesn't show up in his sent mail.

Heads up. Surprise, electronics malfunctions. *sigh*
nothing like adding more to the stress of summertime in SRCI!

corrlinks is freaking slow. was going to ask if anyone knows if the speed of delivery changes on our end if we upgrade to the premium membership and access the emails via the app? it does say realtime messenging? $6/yr--it'd be worth it if that's true?
Old 08-06-2020, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator
Donation Award 

I haven't tried it. I've been corresponding with 3 guys for over 5 years now - 2 of them say it's too much of a PITA to get their hands on a tablet. The other doesn't want to spend the 5 cents/minute to use a tablet (plus the cost of sending an email). So we've all given up (which we'd done anyway on AccessCorrections) and are sticking with snail mail.
Old 08-06-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerM View Post
I haven't tried it. I've been corresponding with 3 guys for over 5 years now - 2 of them say it's too much of a PITA to get their hands on a tablet. The other doesn't want to spend the 5 cents/minute to use a tablet (plus the cost of sending an email). So we've all given up (which we'd done anyway on AccessCorrections) and are sticking with snail mail.
yeah, i am seeing how little time they have to read the emails they receive then to try to respond before their time is up (or the site times out and they lose all they've typed - on my end i see where you can save and go into the draft messages folder but doesn't sound like these options are available on their end?

i didn't know how much i loved snail mail until one of my dearest loves recently passed and now i have all of those letters he once wrote to me to remember so much of our time together!

shoot, i'll have to inquire as to how much it's costing to each day to use the tablet and to send an email... and try to adjust my expectations about it all or try to help the two i write to so that it's not a burden to be communicating this way.

it's not the most effective way, for sure - corresponding online. there's many many hours of delays on receiving an email on my end, likely on theirs too... though some come in much sooner than others.

your friends are lucky to have you in their lives - as i'm sure you get so much from these connections as well, ginger! <3
The Following User Says Thank You to *Precious* For This Useful Post:
GingerM (08-08-2020)
Old 08-08-2020, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator
Donation Award 

I just received an email from Snake River this morning. Looks like Snake got their IT problems fixed.

Quote:
your friends are lucky to have you in their lives - as i'm sure you get so much from these connections as well, ginger!
My friends are actually friends of my Dad - Dad died of lung cancer before he got out. He made me promise him, quite literally on his death bed, to "take care of the guys". Dad also left them each a small-ish sum to help them when they got out.

I had to write them while I was settling Dad's estate to coordinate what was going to happen with the money. Then... I guess by then they were all people to me and not just "Dad's friends".

I actually do get so much from the connections. These are some of the most grateful people I've ever met. I send them books and they're effusive, I send them a little "fun money" kind of randomly throughout the year and they thank me as if I had given them my life savings, I send them Christmas Cards and again, they're thrilled.

And when my life gets rough, I whine and complain at them and they send me back letters saying "there, there" and patting me on the head, and telling me it will get better. It's not just a one way street - I tell them how much I appreciate having "neutral third parties" to complain to when I just need to get something off my chest, who I know will be supportive, won't be telling me how it's all my fault, etc. You know... the kind of thing a friend is for.

Some of them struggle with shame and feeling like they're unworthy of my continued emotional support of them. Then we spend a lot of time (in letters and the occasional book) talking about the difference between guilt ("I did a bad thing") and shame ("I am a bad person").

So yes, I get a lot out of this, they get a lot out of this, and we do it nearly entirely by snail mail. I suppose it helps that I enjoy the process of writing.
The Following User Says Thank You to GingerM For This Useful Post:
*Precious* (08-08-2020)
Old 08-08-2020, 10:55 PM

oh, i'm sorry to hear about your dad but what a loving man he was to have cared as much as he does for the friends he was leaving behind!!! and he left you all to each other - interesting how that works out, eh?!!!

the friends i still know inside i only came to know because of my loved one who has passed - i consider them part of him, gifts from him! i cherish these connections for they're part of my connection to him.

yes, i do know exactly what you describe in your friendships and it sounds as if we're doing a lot of the same kinds of things with our friends inside.

thank you for sharing, ginger - you let them know i'm sending loves and wishing them well, too! and to you, too, ginger!
The Following User Says Thank You to *Precious* For This Useful Post:
GingerM (08-09-2020)