Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia Prison & Jail – Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia Prison & Jail – Visitation, Phones, Packages & Mail Topics / Information relating to the Georgia Department of Corrections and local & county Jail visitation, phone calls, mail, inmate care packages, etc.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:59 AM

Smile Visitation: What do I do with my personal items like cell phone, purse etc

I know that there is a dress code during vistation. You have to dress as modest as possible.
However I have another concern. I won't be able to drive or ride to visit my loved one in Phillip SP. I may have to take a taxi of whatever service they have that goes there. What do I do with my personal items like cell phone, purse, or money. Will they let me bring that into the prison? Does the prison have lockers or some where I can store my stuff.
You can tell I am new at this.
Thank you in advance.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:02 PM

No lockers or anything. Im sorry but They willnt keep your stuff. There is a site on here about sharing a ride maybe you could find someone to go with . Or maybe a hotel room.
Daqueen52 (02-06-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 07:03 PM

Default I've had one visit so far

I've had one visit so far. When I drove I left my purse, cellphone in my vehicle. I took in my drivers liscense, keys, and $20 in quarters for the vending machines. At the visitors entrance right past the guard tower, you have to sign in, your name, date, who you are visiting, so you need their GD # it's the number you use beside his name when you write him. So memorize it and his building number. Also you have to put the time you arrive. This is your first stop. The visitor log is on a shelf outside the building and the guards their are nice and friendly. Then you go to a door and are buzzed in that first building. Inside you will go thru a metal detector. Some jewelry and belts will set this off. Your keys and money go on the conveyor belt. Once you step thru the metal detector, the guard will make sure you are dressed appropriately, then I had on blue jeans and I had to raise the leg of each foot. I had on flats with no socks, so I had no problems. If you have on socks, they will be checked for contraband. Once that guard passes you you will wait for a door outside the fence to open, then go forward to the next door, this one is inside the fence and they open up. Take the red brick path to your next check point.

2nd check point, there you give them your car keys, show them you have change in a baggie, they take your keys and i think they look at your id and send you forward.

3rd check point is actually inside the building in a lobby area. Walk up to the desk with the guard. They need to know whom you are there to see, they keep your id, and you go thru another metal detector. you are now in a square area with couches, and the bathrooms are on the left side of the room. Also the lady stamps your hand once you pass thru the 2nd metal detector.

4th, You walk forward to the next check in area. Here the guard is behind the back wall. They buzz you into the room. You stick you stamped hand under the black light. (You will need this to go back to the bathroom and reenter the visitation room. This guard will show you to go to your left and they will buzz you into the visitation area. Walk past the vending machines, into the actual room. There will be an inmate on your right at a table. Tell Him this is your first visit. He will help you thru. Go to the right of him and check in with the guard inside the visitation room. Then the inmate will show you to your assigned sitting table.

Go ahead and buy a drink for both of you and some chips or food or a candy bar back at the0 vending machines, and return to your seat. It takes 5 to 10 minutes for the inmate to get to the visitation room. When you see him stand up and wait for him to join you and HUGGGGGG!!!! HIM TO DEATH AND WHATEVER. You have your side of the table to sit at and the inmates sit on the other side. You can tell by the other visitors, which side you should sit on.

Only you can go to the vending machines to purchase food and drinks. YOUR inmate cannot leave the table. He does have to stand in the middle of the visit for a head count. They remain standing until the count is completed and checked, and then you continue on with your visit. Be there no later than 10;30 to start your visit. They do a head count around noon. And you can continue to visit until 3:00 pm or leave only after the noon headcount. The visitation is open from 9 to 3. But they can cut it short is something occurs in the visitation area or the prison area. The guards Stroll around occassionally and inspect while you visit.

I touched his hand on the table for a couples of seconds several times, but I did not over do it. Didn't wanna be kicked out. But later he said it was really nice to feel my soft hand on top of his even if it was just a second or two........You will go back out the same way.

The prison is very nice, all the lobby area and bathrooms you see, my man keeps those shiny and clean. I went in at 10:15 and stayed until about 2:45 and then I left. Time FLEW BY......It did not seem that long. Next time I'm gonna go at 9 and try to stay to 3. But sometimes, his back and legs bother him from his harley wrecks, so I was glad he stayed sitting as long as he did. He did go to the bathroom 2 times to stretch his legs and back.

And they have arrested people who bring in contraband into the visitor area. But I was not worried about that when I went in. And the inmate was aware I was coming for the first time and he was watching for me to get there. Depending on where your man is at PSP, the inmate in the visitor room may or maynot, probably not, know you but he will still be very polite. Tell him it's your first visit and he will show you want you can and cannot do.

Hope ALL this details helps you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mamamouth225 For This Useful Post:
Daqueen52 (05-02-2014), frankiebaby (05-17-2014)
Old 04-25-2014, 10:05 PM

I have visited my guy at 1 county camp and 3 state prisons. None of them were Phillips though. It's so interesting to read how they are all the same in their procedures yet so different.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:55 AM

Default Visitation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daqueen52 View Post
I know that there is a dress code during vistation. You have to dress as modest as possible.
However I have another concern. I won't be able to drive or ride to visit my loved one in Phillip SP. I may have to take a taxi of whatever service they have that goes there. What do I do with my personal items like cell phone, purse, or money. Will they let me bring that into the prison? Does the prison have lockers or some where I can store my stuff.
You can tell I am new at this.
Thank you in advance.

Phillip SP does not have lockers to store your personal items. These items will not be permitted inside the institution.

All visitors are required to properly identify themselves and sign in and out on a visitor’s register. A driver’s license with picture, a picture identification card issued by the Department of Public Safety or other acceptable photographed identification card will be required of visitors, age sixteen (16) and over.

All items brought into the facility by a visitor will be searched. Where there is reasonable suspicion to conduct a more thorough search, the visit will not be permitted without consent from the visitor for this search, and then only after completion of the search.

All visitors who present themselves for entry into any Department of Corrections facility shall be searched in order to assure that they do not introduce contraband into the facility or endanger the secure operation and mission of the facility.
Any visitor who fails to comply with a search of their person, possessions, or property may be detained and searched. ALL visitors, over the age of 16, shall be required to have their fingerprint scanned using the rapid identification fingerprint scanner to ensure positive identification and to verify that the person has no outstanding warrants. You may contact the local facility Phillip State Prison 770-932-4500, call Ombudsman Unit at 478-992-5358, visit Georgia Department of Corrections website or email Ombudsman@dcor.state.ga.us for more information.

Thanks,

The Following User Says Thank You to GAombudsman For This Useful Post:
Daqueen52 (05-02-2014)
Old 05-17-2014, 09:52 PM
Counting the days...
Donation Award 

Mamamouth225 that was very helpful.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankiebaby View Post
Mamamouth225 that was very helpful.

Glad that I could help. If you ever need anything please don't hesitate to contact the Ombudsman Unit at 478-992-5358 or email at Ombudsman@dcor.state.ga.us.

Thanks again,