Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Texas that do not fit into any other Texas subforum.

Old 01-02-2015, 09:31 PM

Default Beto Unit isn't proper unit for his psychotic issues. Need transfer ASAP!

Hi PTO Family I'm on in need of any assistance that anyone may have concerning My husband was transferred to the Boyd Unit on an hardship about 6 weeks ago. About 2 weeks ago he started experiencing some mental illness issues. He made some allegations which is streaming from delusional thoughts and dreams that he have. My husband also experienced the same thing when he first come back into the system in Dec of 2013. I spoke with the warden at the first facility and made him aware of my husbands mental illness as well as the warden at the Boyd Unit. So the warden at the Boyd Unit told me that he would more than likely be transferred to a unit where he could get some help with his mental issues. Okay I was talking with the lady in classifications that had his file who advised me that she would let me know something after the new year. So come Dec 29 he gets transferred to the Beto Unit. So I calls the lady back in classifications and asked her how did this happen being that she said she would call me after the new year. She told me that this unit had a 24 hour medical facility and I asked her what did that have to do with my husbands mental health issues. I told her that I have hear nothing but bad things about this unit and you would take him from a small facility where he was experiencing psychotic dreams to send him to a unit of 3,000 people. I called the Beto Unit today only to be on the phone all day and getting nowhere. So I finally spoke with the Director of Nursing Ms. Garner who tried to help me but said I would need to speak with the warden about trying to get my husband in a single cell or possibly other solutions. I called the warden only to be told the assisting warden would call me back. I explained that this was an urgent matter concerning the safety of my husband but still no call back. PTO family is there any way I can get him off this unit and try to get him on a unit that will help with his mental illness or at least give him counseling. The Beto Unit isn't a proper unit for his psychotic issues. Please feel free to give any suggestions. Thank you and have a wonderful day and Happy New Year to everyone.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2015, 07:00 AM

Thanked 11,114 Times in 6,009 Posts

Beto is co-located with Powledge which offers a substantial amount of care for those caseloads...if he has more severe needs identified by staff, then they would route him to Skyview in Rusk or, alternately, to Jester IV in Richmond. If he is physically-aggressive, then PAMIO is another option.

For the period of time in general population, much of the decision between Beto and Powledge will have to do with his custody level.

The other thing here is you basically told agency personnel that he cannot function in general population which is bad enough, but then did it in the middle of a holiday period. That means the agency is going to move him where they have the more secure housing (which is NOT a small facility). The better thing for him to have done is submit a sick call request where he could have spent more time speaking with someone at the unit.

Last edited by CenTexLyn; 01-03-2015 at 07:03 AM..
Old 01-03-2015, 12:05 PM

I agree CentexLyn and I'm going to start on Monday trying to see what can be done to get him to a facility that can address his mental health issues. All of this stemmed from a sexual assault that happened to him by a close family member and now in his mind whenever he's asleep he dreams or thinks that people are trying to assault him in his sleep. He has been taken to the hospital from 2 units because of these allegations and he really think that it's happening to him but when he goes to get checked out nothing is wrong. So I have to call and inform the wardens about what happened to him and that he was having this problem when he was at home as well. It just makes me feel so helpless because I see his mental state kind of fading from what happened in his past to him. So this is why I want to get him to a facility that can help him. The Boyd Unit was a wonderful unit and he really liked it but he just can't seem to get past these delusional dreams. Thank you for your input it's greatly appreciated.