Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Parents with Children in Prison > PWCIP - Introductions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

PWCIP - Introductions Welcome to the Parents With Children in Prison Forum. Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself!

Old 10-07-2020, 09:13 AM

Default Newbie Here

Just got brave today and felt I needed some strength from this online forum. Our son is in Prison doing 8 yrs for an internet issue. He is not doing so well. He has been in Protective Custody for his time. He needs prayers and so do we. Still trying to get used to this whole mess, not knowing who to turn to for help. He asked for help before incarceration and got taken in by his Public Defender. We all believed he could help our son. No way and he made the decision to plea against our better judgement. Now we are all doing the time. He is in yr. 3 now and going no where like he was told. He was offered help but it never has shown up yet. Just harassment and judgement so far. No violence or victims and still has to be protected from the bullies inside. Both Prisoners and Guards. There has to be a new system.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to prmom8524 For This Useful Post:
sidewalker (10-12-2020), trauma4us (10-07-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2020, 11:15 AM
Site Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 24,061 Times in 13,801 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. I'm sorry for what your son, and you are facing. The bop has options, not just protective custody in the SHU, that would be much safer for him, but the problem is getting them to initiate them.

I'm guessing that his internet crime was one of the many the bop considers "sex crimes". He should request a transfer to the one satellite camp that carries a security level of "low custody", not minimum custody, or one of the many SOTP (sex offender treatment program) prisons regardless of their security level. Even if I'm wrong about his actual crime, those prison staffs have a much lower tolerance for drama from the bullies, especially the "my felony crime is better than yours" folks. The safest prison I was in was medium security, and troublemakers were usually transferred somewhere else, after a stay in the SHU.

One other possibility for him to be moved to a better prison, even before he has met the normal qualifier of 18 months with clear conduct, is to apply for a program that is only available in prisons that are not the one where he is now. That's how I did it anyway.

The residential drug abuse program is the most widely available bop program, but it could be available where he is. Another one, available through the chaplain, is the Life Connections Program, an 18 month residential, faith based course that is offered at Petersburg (VA) and Milan (MI) low security prisons. If accepted, he will be moved in time to begin the next 6 month session, called a "cohort".

My opinion is that spending 8 years in the hole would ruin any chances for a decent return to a normal life when he gets released.
Old 10-07-2020, 04:53 PM

Thanked 2,426 Times in 953 Posts

People think that once the sentence is handed out that things settle down. No, it just gets different. There's always worries & as parents we feel helpless. Especially with Covid limiting visitation there's less ways to assure for yourself that he's ok.

When my son was going through the whole arrest, conviction & sentence, I looked to Prison Talk & local advocacy groups for help. It really makes a difference to connect with people who know what you're going through. Very few people can relate if they haven't experienced it.

Prison Fellowship is a good outreach group that works inside prisons & supports families. https://www.prisonfellowship.org/res...-of-prisoners/ Another advocacy group is Tennessee Prison Outreach Ministry. https://www.tnprisonministry.org/
Stay strong & reach out if you need to. We've all had struggles & this is a safe place to come to. If you haven't already, check out posts in the Tennessee Forum. You might find some helpful posts there.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GaReform For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-07-2020), gvalliant (10-09-2020), sidewalker (10-12-2020)