Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NEW JERSEY > New Jersey Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

New Jersey Prison and Jail Specific Discussions + Lock Down Status This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of New Jersey, including lockdowns.

Old 10-14-2020, 07:46 PM
Gia
Donation Award 

Default Questions about what to expect after Craf

Hello, can I please ask a question? My son got sentenced to 7 years with 42 months Minimum. My question is how can he do less time what ? Credits come off the back number or the front numbers? And when can he apply for halfway house? He is at CRAFT getting evaluated?? Please help
Broken hearted mother
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2020, 06:59 AM
Super Moderator
Donation Award 

Thanked 9,710 Times in 3,780 Posts

I can't answer your questions with certainty, as I don't know anyone in NJDOC.

Typically, in all states, "good time" comes off the back end of the sentenced time. As he accumulates "good time", he'll have a shorter sentence. He can accumulate "good time" by following the rules, not getting into trouble and generally keeping his nose clean.

He won't be able to apply for a halfway house until he's about 30 - 60 days away from being released. You have a while before that's going to happen, so I wouldn't worry too much about that since laws change over time and what is true today may not be true by the time he's ready to apply.

I'm sorry you're going through this. You're through the worst part (the trial and all events leading up to going in front of the judge). In some ways, it's harder when they finally go to prison because while the stress levels drop, you also don't have anything to do and the pace slows down to a snail's crawl.

Remember to breathe - the rest will work itself out. Hopefully someone else will come along with more information than I have.