Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Texas Parole, Probation, Work Release & Community Service All information & questions relating to parole, probation, work release & community service in the State of Texas should be posted here. Also found here is information in creating Parole Packets, discussion of Parole Attorneys, etc.

Old 06-17-2020, 04:21 PM

Cool Hiring a Parole Lawyer: Any recommendations?

Hello Everyone!

My husband is going to be reviewed for Parole next year in October, and I heard that it was good to hire representation about a year in advance to get things ready. Does anyone have any recommendations of Parole Attorneys in the Texas Area? I live in San Antonio Texas and my husband is incarcerated in Dayton, Houston area. I have contacted a few that i found very good. Pricey but good lol. But if any one please has any comments that can lead me in the right direction or anything that will help me with the parole process I am pretty much doing everything on my own and need to hire someone to help represent my husband. I just want to bring him home as soon as possible. Thanks everyone i hope ya'll are staying safe and healthy!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2020, 06:24 AM

I want to know too.
Old 06-19-2020, 08:57 AM
The Cowtown Moderator

Thanked 6,672 Times in 1,829 Posts

I know an exceptional parole attorney in Houston and she's one of the very best. This gal has her black belt in the martial arts of Parole Attorney Defense and what not. I'll PM you both concerning her name and telephone number. She's represented me in the past and she's awesome. Were it not for her I wouldn't be free right now.
Born (06-19-2020), dtmom2013 (06-22-2020), fbopnomore (06-19-2020), Guy’sGirl74 (06-24-2020), maytayah (06-19-2020)
Old 06-19-2020, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand View Post
I know an exceptional parole attorney in Houston and she's one of the very best. This gal has her black belt in the martial arts of Parole Attorney Defense and what not. I'll PM you both concerning her name and telephone number. She's represented me in the past and she's awesome. Were it not for her I wouldn't be free right now.
I don't need her info. I was just curious about the concept of parole attorneys. Thank you though!
Old 06-20-2020, 07:47 PM
The Cowtown Moderator

Default Since The Bush Years As Governor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob's Girl View Post
I don't need her info. I was just curious about the concept of parole attorneys. Thank you though!
It may be that the class action lawsuit former prisoner David Ruiz led the way in filing against then Texas Dept. of Corrections (TDC) back in the early 1970s is what really brought about all the changes, one of which is the formation of parole attorneys and the services they provide in the parole process. TDC became the Texas Dept of Criminal Justice (TDCJ) in 1989 when William Wayne Justice socked it to the State of Texas concerning the way the prison system/parole board who prior to 1989 were one department or entity on a state level ran things. There for several years there was federal oversight and when you hear the term ombudsman, that’s when it really began. A lot of stuff has changed since they changed the name of things or as I like to put it, when they put the “J” in TDC. Some of it was good in terms of what the Federal Government demanded of the state and I would also give credit to former governor Ann Richards in terms of the philosophy she tried to implement where recovery and education issue go. Still, Texas is and always has always been a retributionist/red neck state deep within its heart (deep in the heart of Texas) concerning matters to do with crime and punishment and it has taken on a more sophisticated appearance or technologically savvy demeanor, but………it’s all the same at the end of the day.

Where the concept of parole attorneys go if you get right down to it, as it was stated in an article in the Houston Chronicle back around 1992 or there about, the use of a parole attorney in the parole process is a violation of constitutional law and for obvious reasons.

1. If two people come up for parole in which one of them has money to afford a parole attorney who can seek, gain or influence the decision of a parole panel then, what is to be said of the prisoner who cannot? You’re taking the influence of “money” and allowing it to be a determining/contributing factor to the possible release of someone where money is not relevant or should be a determining factor in the parole process. The parole process or consideration for parole is to do primarily with these specific issues (nature or seriousness of offense committed, amount of time served on the sentence that the courts issued, one’s conduct record and what the prisoner has done while incarcerated to better themselves by way of academics, individual treatment plans, trade school, etc.).

Ok? So, that’s what one in theory is led to believe is the key or to do with the decision making process that a parole board member looks at when deciding to grant or not grant parole. In light of that, what is a parole attorney needed for then? Not only that, but what is to be said for the fact that if a parole attorney is able to do more for a prisoner who has the money, why would someone who has done just as much if not more to that is indigent and without the services of a parole attorney be possibly overlooked or denied parole simply because they are or were poor? Essentially that the “unconstitutional” part of what was stated or said in the beginning when parole attorneys came on the scene here in Texas around the mid-1990s and that is, you’re showing favoritism to the rich and you’re slamming the poor…….again and that’s not right or fair.

2. From another angle where parole attorneys are concerned, their emergence in the parole process generated more money flow and exchanging from one hand to another. I can vividly recall a guy I did time with up in Amarillo who like me had a 25 year sentence for a violent offense. The first time he came up for parole he was more than confident he’d get out and I took notice of his enthusiasm to the point that I asked him “how can you be so sure that that the Amarillo Board is going to release you the first time up on this sentence?” I had been up for parole twice and received back to back 2 year setoffs and so, I was curious. His parents had spent a lot of money on a parole attorney that was personal friends with one of the board members and of whom was the lead voter in this guy’s chance at parole and you know what……..he was right. That $25,000-$30,000 his folks dropped to get him, got him out. And I was stunned. All that bit about honesty and integrity and the mission of the state of Texas…..that applies to some, but there are those who’ve come along that it doesn’t apply to.

When Bush became governor one of his mantras to do with the prison system and parole as well was “we need to figure out a way to start making money off of them and stop being the ones who spend it on them” and that’s just exactly what has taken place since his tenure as governor from 1995-2000 and still remains to this day. Parole attorneys are a part of that concept and aside from the unfairness of it all, here we are.

The last time I came up and got out of prison, were it not for the generosity and desire to be of help that was afforded me by a parole attorney in the Houston, I doubt that I’d be out here among the free right now. I have 4 robberies on my record and my parole has been protested twice by two different district attorneys and so, I’m someone that has benefited greatly from the influence of a parole attorney.

I’ve been on both sides of the equation to do with this issue and while I know as much about the agony of defeat and what it’s like to repeatedly come up for parole and be denied over and over and over again, I also know what it’s like to have someone in your corner that can make a difference.
No, to some degree or to a large degree it’s not right the way that many of us are treated concerning what happens in prison out here on parole, but the truth is we do it to ourselves when we make the mistake of committing a felony. The consequences that ensue often amount to “it goes with the territory”. It’s people like you that are moms, wives, husbands, fathers, siblings, daughters and sons that are the real victims in it all. You pay for something that is not your fault and all the money in the world could never repay what many of us owe you.

Bikerguy (06-21-2020), dtmom2013 (06-22-2020), kvinna20 (06-21-2020), LifeTraveler (01-16-2021)
Old 06-21-2020, 07:15 AM

Fire, it's so true money talks, and it's not fair. And yes, I've never been in prison, but I dare say we have it worse in some aspects, certainly not in others. Ty for this info. Very interesting.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacob's Girl For This Useful Post:
Firebrand (06-21-2020)
Old 06-24-2020, 01:29 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Could you DM the info to me please. Thank you.
The Following User Says Thank You to dtmom2013 For This Useful Post:
Firebrand (06-29-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 04:41 AM
The Cowtown Moderator

I sent you a pm
Old 01-16-2021, 10:00 AM
Be of good courage!

Can you give me the information as well....thank you!
Old 02-09-2021, 11:04 AM

Quote:
It may be that the class action lawsuit former prisoner David Ruiz led the way in filing against then Texas Dept. of Corrections (TDC) back in the early 1970s is what really brought about all the changes, one of which is the formation of parole attorneys and the services they provide in the parole process. TDC became the Texas Dept of Criminal Justice (TDCJ) in 1989 when William Wayne Justice socked it to the State of Texas concerning the way the prison system/parole board who prior to 1989 were one department or entity on a state level ran things. There for several years there was federal oversight and when you hear the term ombudsman, that’s when it really began. A lot of stuff has changed since they changed the name of things or as I like to put it, when they put the “J” in TDC. Some of it was good in terms of what the Federal Government demanded of the state and I would also give credit to former governor Ann Richards in terms of the philosophy she tried to implement where recovery and education issue go. Still, Texas is and always has always been a retributionist/red neck state deep within its heart (deep in the heart of Texas) concerning matters to do with crime and punishment and it has taken on a more sophisticated appearance or technologically savvy demeanor, but………it’s all the same at the end of the day.

Where the concept of parole attorneys go if you get right down to it, as it was stated in an article in the Houston Chronicle back around 1992 or there about, the use of a parole attorney in the parole process is a violation of constitutional law and for obvious reasons.

1. If two people come up for parole in which one of them has money to afford a parole attorney who can seek, gain or influence the decision of a parole panel then, what is to be said of the prisoner who cannot? You’re taking the influence of “money” and allowing it to be a determining/contributing factor to the possible release of someone where money is not relevant or should be a determining factor in the parole process. The parole process or consideration for parole is to do primarily with these specific issues (nature or seriousness of offense committed, amount of time served on the sentence that the courts issued, one’s conduct record and what the prisoner has done while incarcerated to better themselves by way of academics, individual treatment plans, trade school, etc.).

Ok? So, that’s what one in theory is led to believe is the key or to do with the decision making process that a parole board member looks at when deciding to grant or not grant parole. In light of that, what is a parole attorney needed for then? Not only that, but what is to be said for the fact that if a parole attorney is able to do more for a prisoner who has the money, why would someone who has done just as much if not more to that is indigent and without the services of a parole attorney be possibly overlooked or denied parole simply because they are or were poor? Essentially that the “unconstitutional” part of what was stated or said in the beginning when parole attorneys came on the scene here in Texas around the mid-1990s and that is, you’re showing favoritism to the rich and you’re slamming the poor…….again and that’s not right or fair.

2. From another angle where parole attorneys are concerned, their emergence in the parole process generated more money flow and exchanging from one hand to another. I can vividly recall a guy I did time with up in Amarillo who like me had a 25 year sentence for a violent offense. The first time he came up for parole he was more than confident he’d get out and I took notice of his enthusiasm to the point that I asked him “how can you be so sure that that the Amarillo Board is going to release you the first time up on this sentence?” I had been up for parole twice and received back to back 2 year setoffs and so, I was curious. His parents had spent a lot of money on a parole attorney that was personal friends with one of the board members and of whom was the lead voter in this guy’s chance at parole and you know what……..he was right. That $25,000-$30,000 his folks dropped to get him, got him out. And I was stunned. All that bit about honesty and integrity and the mission of the state of Texas…..that applies to some, but there are those who’ve come along that it doesn’t apply to.

When Bush became governor one of his mantras to do with the prison system and parole as well was “we need to figure out a way to start making money off of them and stop being the ones who spend it on them” and that’s just exactly what has taken place since his tenure as governor from 1995-2000 and still remains to this day. Parole attorneys are a part of that concept and aside from the unfairness of it all, here we are.

The last time I came up and got out of prison, were it not for the generosity and desire to be of help that was afforded me by a parole attorney in the Houston, I doubt that I’d be out here among the free right now. I have 4 robberies on my record and my parole has been protested twice by two different district attorneys and so, I’m someone that has benefited greatly from the influence of a parole attorney.

I’ve been on both sides of the equation to do with this issue and while I know as much about the agony of defeat and what it’s like to repeatedly come up for parole and be denied over and over and over again, I also know what it’s like to have someone in your corner that can make a difference.
No, to some degree or to a large degree it’s not right the way that many of us are treated concerning what happens in prison out here on parole, but the truth is we do it to ourselves when we make the mistake of committing a felony. The consequences that ensue often amount to “it goes with the territory”. It’s people like you that are moms, wives, husbands, fathers, siblings, daughters and sons that are the real victims in it all. You pay for something that is not your fault and all the money in the world could never repay what many of us owe you.

Can u send me a PM too? And were your robbery 2g or 3g? My boyfriends is 2g and people are telling him he won't make parole and have to do his whole sentence. Is that true? Unless he hires a parole attorney?