Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > CAPITAL PUNISHMENT > Death Row & Capital Punishment Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Death Row & Capital Punishment Discussions Discussions relating to inmates on Death Row / facing capital punishment in the United States and abroad that don't fit into any of the other forums

Old 08-21-2006, 09:43 AM
I'm Gonna Stay

Default Riverbend on MSNBC

Here is a small vidoe of what I saw on Msnbc lockup on Friday night. As the warden attempted to make the death penalty procedure look... a lot less than what it really is...

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/3036750/

What do you think?

Z-RO will be free
July 9, 2007

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2006, 11:05 PM

Thanks for posting this Dontmatter. Obviously this was the idealistic procedure of how an execution should proceed. As for what was said, about having a camera above the gurney in case something goes wrong. Aside from the fact that if someone is going to die a premeditated death, then nothing should go wrong.

It appears that as execution methods change, the executioners are becoming more distant from the person they are killing. The fact is, if the process of lethal injection was not all automated, and the executioner had to stare a man in the face while they were killing him. It would do damage to someone's soul that could never be repaired.

It's all very well to say that someone must die for something they have done in the past. However, the minute you begin forming a friendship with the condemned, that is when everything changes. The executioners in some states have always been men, as women are not emotionally strong enough to handle such circumstances - apparently. The more distant you are, the less pain you feel when performing an execution. As the fact is, if you knew the condemned more than just a criminal, more than just a faceless number, chances are you could not perform their execution.

Several times, I have heard words along the lines of, it is my moral duty to carry out the law, and the law says we must execute criminals. The law does not say that, we as humans do. Within this universe laws exist that have never been written down, nor do they need to. However Capital Punishment is entirely the result of man's doing. One cannot blame the law for a society that executes its citizens. After all, what is Capital Punishment? A set of laws created by man, which say if you kill then you shall be killed.

I cannot help but recall what Pat Brown, former Governor of California once said;

"I am 83 years old as I write these words... And looking back over their names and files now, despite the horrible crimes and the catalog of human weakness they comprise, I realize that each decision took something out of me that nothing -- not family or work or hope for the future -- has ever been able to replace."

- Ben.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:38 AM
Register
Donation Award 

I watched that on MSNBC several months ago. I thought the Warden sounded like someone in front of a TV camera. He was very matter of fact. Which is the way he has to be, especially in front of a camera.

Just my

softie
Old 08-23-2006, 10:56 PM
my scotchy!

Thanks for the post! I missed this one! I do not like how execution was portrayed. I do however, enjoy the entire lock-up series. I was impressesd just during that breif clip of inmates talking to the newscaster and each other.
I bet that would not happen in Texas!

Tekela
Old 08-24-2006, 01:42 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,295 Posts

Tekela, I agree that you wouldn't see the inmates talking to each other or the broadcaster. I also was not impressed with the way that they portrayed the executions.

Ness