Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARKANSAS > Arkansas Prison and Jail Specific Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Arkansas Prison and Jail Specific Discussions This forum covers topics & discussions specific to Jails and Prisons located throughout the State of Arkansas.

Old 03-12-2012, 04:34 PM

Default North Central - Calico Rock

My fiancé just got moved there today!! I'm excited! I've heard some good things about it. Just wondering if anybody has a loved one there now? Kind of curious about the visitation process. Anything would be helpful! Thanks!!!
Old 03-12-2012, 05:44 PM

i had a friend there...... it was ok there.. visitation is n a big room, chairs only, no tables... there are vending machines... of course, i've not been there n several years and this may have been changed. the officers were ok..

M

Old 03-12-2012, 05:50 PM

Thanks! It's kind of disappointing that they don't have hot food like some of the others... Lol
Old 03-12-2012, 07:44 PM

yeah, my husbands at pine bluff and they serve hot food... but then it may have changed since i've been there

M

Old 03-12-2012, 09:15 PM

I was just there this past saturday. Visitation is nice , the guards are nice and helpful. There are vending machines with beverages, chips and candy. There are foods there you can microwave, there is also coffee and ice cream. But all for a price. You are able to sit next to your loved one, hold hands and even kiss.
My husband says though Calico Rock is no cake walk, they work you hard. And write you up for just looking at someone wrong. It is very easy to loose your classification.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsdesire
yeah, my husbands at pine bluff and they serve hot food... but then it may have changed since i've been there
Yea he was at pine bluff last time and we loved having the food. I think we had chili cheese fries. Lol
Old 03-13-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanning
I was just there this past saturday. Visitation is nice , the guards are nice and helpful. There are vending machines with beverages, chips and candy. There are foods there you can microwave, there is also coffee and ice cream. But all for a price. You are able to sit next to your loved one, hold hands and even kiss.
My husband says though Calico Rock is no cake walk, they work you hard. And write you up for just looking at someone wrong. It is very easy to loose your classification.
Thanks for replying! Are the visits 4 hours? I hope so! I'm pretty close, it's just an hour and a half drive, but still. That sucks that they can get wrote up for everything. He will have a problem with that unfortunately. He has seizures, so they usually don't put him out in the fields and stuff.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:45 AM

Yes visits are still 4 hours. And the Saturday are depending on the classification.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:46 AM

An hour and half which way. Just curious cause I am also that far away.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:53 PM

I'm south of there from the greers ferry lake area.
Old 03-14-2012, 04:47 AM

Okay I am west of calico rock
Old 03-14-2012, 07:23 AM

I'll probably be seeing you at visits soon!! Lol hopefully soon anyways! I need to get approved first!
Old 03-14-2012, 09:14 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by officeremily View Post
Yea he was at pine bluff last time and we loved having the food. I think we had chili cheese fries. Lol
we always have chili cheese nachos! they are good too!

M

Old 03-14-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officeremily View Post
I'll probably be seeing you at visits soon!! Lol hopefully soon anyways! I need to get approved first!
If you ever need to call there, talk to Trudy, she is wonderful and so so nice. She is assistant to the warden and does visitation approval. She went above and beyond for me..

Pm me when you do visit, I would love to meet you.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanning

If you ever need to call there, talk to Trudy, she is wonderful and so so nice. She is assistant to the warden and does visitation approval. She went above and beyond for me..

Pm me when you do visit, I would love to meet you.
I think I talked to the warden last time I called. A lot nicer than most. How long did it take you to get approved?
Old 03-14-2012, 02:46 PM

Less than 30 days. We had some complications. But Trudy helped work thru them. Plus he was first at Randall Williams and before I got approved he was transferred to Calico Rock. So I had to get approved at Calico Rock.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:56 PM

Okay cool. I'm ready to go visit!! Our daughter turns 4 months tomorrow and the last time he held her, she was 2 months. He's gonna be so shocked! Lol
Old 04-09-2012, 09:19 PM

Hello All! My husband has been at Calico Rock for a couple of months now and it is pure h-ll...he started off positive stating he would make he best of it, now, he can't function b'c of the severe prejudice...it's gotten to where he is at his breaking point...he continuously is called the n word and if he doesn't reply with a yes sir, they threaten him with disciplinary actions they continuously make slavery jokes while workin how squad and all...he's been approved for work release for a few months now, has good class, and has never been in trouble while locked up...he's scared that that will all change if he stays, but an inmate overheard a guard tell another guard that my husband better know some ppl that can pull strings bc if he thinks hey are going to let him make it to work release...I'm scared to contact the warden n I'm scared for him to file a grievance...I think I need to contact internal affairs or something.....?
Old 04-09-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuthernFem
Hello All! My husband has been at Calico Rock for a couple of months now and it is pure h-ll...he started off positive stating he would make he best of it, now, he can't function b'c of the severe prejudice...it's gotten to where he is at his breaking point...he continuously is called the n word and if he doesn't reply with a yes sir, they threaten him with disciplinary actions they continuously make slavery jokes while workin how squad and all...he's been approved for work release for a few months now, has good class, and has never been in trouble while locked up...he's scared that that will all change if he stays, but an inmate overheard a guard tell another guard that my husband better know some ppl that can pull strings bc if he thinks hey are going to let him make it to work release...I'm scared to contact the warden n I'm scared for him to file a grievance...I think I need to contact internal affairs or something.....?
That is sad! What you should do is contact central office and get in contact with Ray hobbs he is over all Adc....he is a african america man so he would known what u are going through im so happy my husband didnt get sent there because i would have been in contact with the governor about those matters but get in contact with ray hobbs and give the co's names and they will move him they are over everything good luck but prision is bad enough he should not have to go through that! You can get the number off Adc website
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drosgirl For This Useful Post:
angelsdesire (04-10-2012), SuthernFem (04-10-2012)
Old 04-09-2012, 10:30 PM

Quote:
He can request to be transferred. I've heard the same things about calico rock, but when I asked my fiancé he said that it's really not as bad as people say it is. Sometimes stories get exaggerated. I'm not saying that this isn't happening to him, but honestly if I were you I wouldn't file a grievance or call the warden or anything. In prison the squeaky wheel gets the hole. I've been through that. I hope things get better for him.
SuthernFem (04-10-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 06:01 AM

I agree you need to have him ask for a transfer. I have talked to the warden before well even IPO and wardens assistant and they all are very nice. But then I do not have the same issue you have.
My husband has told me they do threaten everyone with a disp. ticket. He is even scared of getting one because he wants to come home and not get delayed.
I would just have him put in for a transfer.
The Following User Says Thank You to Janmarie1969 For This Useful Post:
SuthernFem (04-10-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 09:57 AM

If a co is saying the n word more than likely that would not bother the warden because there is alot of prejudice people towards african americans down that way. I would put in a transfer and if it got denied i would call central office and let them knows whats going on..because that is unacceptable! They may be all very nice to you but its different for african americans in certain situations.

Last edited by drosgirl; 04-10-2012 at 09:59 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to drosgirl For This Useful Post:
SuthernFem (04-10-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 01:15 PM

Default Calico Rock

Thank you all! I talked to the warden this morning and he seemed concerned, but I noticed that he had an excuse for almost every complaint I voiced and backed it up with, "...now I'm not justifying anything, but...". We actually talked a few times today and he asked me to call him with names of the officers tomorrow and he will investigate, but I told him I prefer to email him (for a paper trail on our end) so he gave me his email address. I'm keeping a track of EVERYTHING and EVERYONE that I talk to in case if things hit the fan, I'll have a track record. I asked him about my husband transferring out and he said that is an option, but it may mess him up from going to work release. So now I'm really stressing - I'm scared that my husband is going to suffer b'c of me contacting the warden, but now I'm putting it in God's hands...I understand he is in prison for a crime he committed (selling marijuana), but he shouldn't be treated like a dog and called out of his name by the people that are supposed to be helping him get rehabilitated.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:19 PM

Oh, and...a few people have given me names of people to contact from ADC Internal Affairs to the Gov's Office to the Attorney General and I'm going to be cc'ing them in the email I send...@drosgirl, thanks for Mr. Hobbs name, he will be included.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Oh, and...a few people have given me names of people to contact from ADC Internal Affairs to the Gov's Office to the Attorney General and I'm going to be cc'ing them in the email I send...@drosgirl, thanks for Mr. Hobbs name, he will be included.
You welcome cause i totally understand where you coming from that is crazy! Yes leave it in gods hands as well my husband also is trying to get in work release! I hope he can get in as well! I dont think him being transferred should keep him from work release but he prolly would have to get his class one back and reapply idk. Call central office they will let you know everything thats who i call when i have a problem but ray hobbs is the most important cause he is the head of ADC he is nice! I will keep u in my prayers cause i hate to hear that. Be blessed GODS going to handel it!