Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > Continuing and Adult Education
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Continuing and Adult Education Discuss college and continuing education.

Old 10-19-2016, 10:33 AM
Designated Driver

Lightbulb Returning to School for Technology?

I welcome all opinions on this.

So I'm graduating with a bachelor's degree in psych soon. And I'm already looking ahead to my next step. I want to make myself as marketable as possible. I don't have a set industry that I'm interested in working in, but I do know that the economy favors those with technical skills.

For this reason, I'm thinking about going to my local community college to either:

A. Get an associate's degree in web development/design OR

B. Get various certificates in web development/design

What do you think is my best option? Am I on the right track of thinking? I have a genuine interest in learning these subjects, so that's a non-issue.

Hi! New Number, Who's This?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2016, 10:46 AM
attorney

Thanked 17,553 Times in 6,458 Posts

I think you need to look at companies that deal with psych charting and record keeping. Since counselors and therapist have special requirements for dealing with client materials, and their record keeping requirements are different than that of say an internist, you might be able to actually use a psych background with technology to fill a niche that actually satisfies you and makes your psych degree (and any advanced degrees in psych that you may get) marketable.

I'd also look to your undergrad school about adding a tech bachelor's to your quiver rather than doing an AS/AA.

But, if you want fast and dirty towards an all purpose tech job - SAP certifications.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:17 PM
Designated Driver

Thank you for your advice. I'm really not interested in pursuing any advanced degrees.
The good news is that I found a great online resource for learning coding, that I'm using to build up my skills in my free time. I'm confident I'll be able to turn this from a hobby into a career after some extended practice.

Hi! New Number, Who's This?