Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > R. J. Donovan Correctional Facility at Rock Mountain (RJD) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

R. J. Donovan Correctional Facility at Rock Mountain (RJD) - California Topics, Discussions and Information relating to the Richard J. Donovan Correctional Facility at Rock Mountain (RJD) located in San Diego, California.

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 12:10 AM
Registered Member
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,969 Times in 1,204 Posts
Default 2012 RJD Newbie Thread

Hi welcome to the RJD Forum. Please come in and introduce yourself.
Also please use this thread for any general questions you may have that do not fit in any of the other Q&A threads!

Please try to stay on topic & leave all chit chat in the monthly chat thread.

2011 Thread

The Following User Says Thank You to D4C For This Useful Post:
NalaDeVenus (01-13-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2012, 12:09 PM

I'M A NEWBIE!!!
This lockdown has my spirits low
But thank you so much for this thread!
I love this site, everyone is so very helpful!
XOXO
Old 01-13-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NalaDeVenus View Post
I'M A NEWBIE!!!
This lockdown has my spirits low
But thank you so much for this thread!
I love this site, everyone is so very helpful!
XOXO
I pray that everyone who is affected by the lockdown gets visits soon!!!! I would be down too if I couldn't visit. Hang in there! Write, write, write your heart out until then
The Following User Says Thank You to bamboo'swife For This Useful Post:
NalaDeVenus (01-14-2012)
Old 01-21-2012, 01:24 AM

Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 

Hi there ladies. My husband will be transferring to this facility on Wednesday and I am hoping to visit as soon as possible. I am not new to the prison system but I am new to this facility. Forgive me if I have some questions as I have read up a lot that has been posted but still have some questions that I will ask once he is there. I hope everyone has a good weekend.

~~PATIENTLY and FAITHFULLY waiting for my KING to come home~~
Old 01-24-2012, 08:25 PM
CALI Gal
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,597 Times in 1,077 Posts

Welcome JV's! The folks the visit here @ Donovan are very friendly so don't be shy to ask questions. There is a lot of info in these threads so take your time and read through them. If you have any questions let us know

Old 01-30-2012, 10:14 AM

Question Help new to this!

Hi everyone, adam was moved to donovan on jan 23 2012. He is sentenced to six months, which isnt too long but definetly long enough for us lol. Anyways, ive never dealt with a felon before, so if anyone can help me with informing me of the process. All I really know is he goes into reception for a few months and cant make calls. I dont know how long mail takes. I havent gotten anything from him yet and its been a week. I know I may be impatient but we talked everyday one way or another when he was at george bailey. So I am on edge. Can anyone calm my nerves and offer me some support?
Old 02-01-2012, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamswifey View Post
Hi everyone, adam was moved to donovan on jan 23 2012. He is sentenced to six months, which isnt too long but definetly long enough for us lol. Anyways, ive never dealt with a felon before, so if anyone can help me with informing me of the process. All I really know is he goes into reception for a few months and cant make calls. I dont know how long mail takes. I havent gotten anything from him yet and its been a week. I know I may be impatient but we talked everyday one way or another when he was at george bailey. So I am on edge. Can anyone calm my nerves and offer me some support?
Ok well first off 6 months will be here sooner than you know it plus you know he will be home for the holidays. He will be in reception for at least a few months and could do his whole time in there. He does not have acces to phone calls but I am sure your letters will be arriving in the next day or so. Their letters to us get to us a lot quicker than ours to them!!! So write, write, write!!! He will probably wonder if you forgot about him b/c it takes so long for them to get letters but once they do start coming they usually get them all at once. You can visit while he is there after you are approved for visiting. The visiting form will more than likely be included in one of the first letters you receive.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:23 PM

Talking

Thank you. Yes yesterday was a hard day. But I came home and I had two long letters. Its amazing how one letters can make all those negative thoughts go away. Turns out they sent his first letters back to him because he did not put his cell number on his envelope. Never thought of that one. So advice to others, think of that too. Thanks for your help again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misspriss619 View Post
Ok well first off 6 months will be here sooner than you know it plus you know he will be home for the holidays. He will be in reception for at least a few months and could do his whole time in there. He does not have acces to phone calls but I am sure your letters will be arriving in the next day or so. Their letters to us get to us a lot quicker than ours to them!!! So write, write, write!!! He will probably wonder if you forgot about him b/c it takes so long for them to get letters but once they do start coming they usually get them all at once. You can visit while he is there after you are approved for visiting. The visiting form will more than likely be included in one of the first letters you receive.
The Following User Says Thank You to adamswifey For This Useful Post:
misspriss619 (02-02-2012)
Old 02-01-2012, 12:27 PM

Another question. I filled out my visitng form and was wondering if at the bottom where they ask for your record, do they just want felonies and misdomeaners or infractions too? Im on informal probation to driving on a suspended license. I dont have anyone to report to other anything like that. Just fines and Public work service. Will I get approved?
Old 02-01-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Another question. I filled out my visitng form and was wondering if at the bottom where they ask for your record, do they just want felonies and misdomeaners or infractions too? Im on informal probation to driving on a suspended license. I dont have anyone to report to other anything like that. Just fines and Public work service. Will I get approved?
You should be fine BUT make sure you put all of your information on there or that will be grounds for disaproval. And if your license is suspended, I wouldn't drive on the prison grounds.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:32 PM

Also you MUST include any detainments.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misspriss619 View Post
Also you MUST include any detainments.
I wasent ever arrested, thank god. I just went to court and had a Public Defender
Old 02-02-2012, 01:23 AM

Quote:
I wasent ever arrested, thank god. I just went to court and had a Public Defender

Yea REGARDLESS, even if you were NOT CHARGED or NOT ARRESTED, if you were DETAINED, you still need to list it. It specifically states "detainments"...when in doubt, LIST IT.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:15 PM

SO, ive been kind of on edge lately. When Adam was at George Bailey, he wrote me every day. And since hes been in reception, I only get letters every 3-4 days. I dont understand why he isnt writing everyday. I can tell he isnt writing everyday because he dates his letters and says he hasent written for a couple of days. Isnt he on lockdown 23 hours a day? If not what is their day like? I know im probably being selfish but I write and mail him a letter everyday. I just dont knwo what to think. Its all we have is letters...i need them to keep me calm and serene. Everyday I hope to get one and my nerves go crazy. I dont know what to think and Im so new to this prison system shit. Ladies help me out, because I dont want to make things any hardder for him, but I also have to think about myself too. Thanks
Old 02-08-2012, 02:01 PM

Unhappy

My guy sometimes gets too depressed to write...makes him miss everything outside too much. So bsing with the guys is just easier.... When he's feeling good, more letters. I write all the time anyway. They need to know we're here.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:46 PM

@adams wifey....the prison system is alot of bullshit (FaceBook Occupy-The-Prison-Industrial-Complex/291241467590419)

If he is in reception dear, give him some time to adjust...I am sure that the adjustment period is a very difficult one. Especially at RJD (VERY DIFFERENT THERE)...right now with the lockdown and the behaviors of the officers--it takes a toll on ones spirit...I am sure he will be back at writing to you as soon as his spirits are higher.

Don't worry so much--you do what you can and trust that the universe will guide him on the right path in all things. Let him know you love him and that no matter what that wont change....I'm sure that reassurance will give him the strength that he needs.
Good luck to you---<3
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NalaDeVenus For This Useful Post:
bamboo'swife (02-08-2012), Jl'slady (02-08-2012)
Old 02-09-2012, 01:13 AM

Thanked 2,277 Times in 1,619 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NalaDeVenus
@adams wifey....the prison system is alot of bullshit (FaceBook Occupy-The-Prison-Industrial-Complex/291241467590419)

If he is in reception dear, give him some time to adjust...I am sure that the adjustment period is a very difficult one. Especially at RJD (VERY DIFFERENT THERE)...right now with the lockdown and the behaviors of the officers--it takes a toll on ones spirit...I am sure he will be back at writing to you as soon as his spirits are higher.

Don't worry so much--you do what you can and trust that the universe will guide him on the right path in all things. Let him know you love him and that no matter what that wont change....I'm sure that reassurance will give him the strength that he needs.
Good luck to you---<3
Adams wife- I agree with this. When my guy went to reception he wrote tons because it was our only link, but it was very very hard on him. Little things would throw him off. New roommates, no store, being cold. Just change in general and having too much time at night to think. I wrote everyday. He knew he was loved and thought of during what he says were some of the hardest times. Visits will help by giving a new form/ outlet to be together. I would get nervous and have doubts when more than 2 days went without a letter. Then I found, for me, it kept me centered to read his last letter again. Id read it and be reminded of how he felt. There was less worrying because I could read and recapture the feeling that I had when I first read the letter. When I was able to keep my emotions slightly less erratic, then it got better. Like Nala said lots of reassurance that you love him and are there will help him.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:03 AM
K-Mom

Default Just arrived

My son was just transferred to RJD on Thursday. He spent 7mos in reception at NKSP. I keep reading that RJD is very different or that things are very different there. What exactly does that mean? All of this is VERY DIFFERENT for us. As with so many people, this is the last place or situation we ever thought we'd be having to deal with. What are the top ten (plus or minus) things you think I should know about RJD and what should I pass on to him when I write or talk to him on the phone...how do phone privileges work there, anyway??? My head is swimming; not sure what to ask first...any information would be great. Thanks in advance!
Old 04-07-2012, 05:38 PM

Default Know how you feel

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Mom View Post
My son was just transferred to RJD on Thursday. He spent 7mos in reception at NKSP. I keep reading that RJD is very different or that things are very different there. What exactly does that mean? All of this is VERY DIFFERENT for us. As with so many people, this is the last place or situation we ever thought we'd be having to deal with. What are the top ten (plus or minus) things you think I should know about RJD and what should I pass on to him when I write or talk to him on the phone...how do phone privileges work there, anyway??? My head is swimming; not sure what to ask first...any information would be great. Thanks in advance!

Know how you feel - being a mom too. I have been down this road before.
Check your private message in box. I sent you a message.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to socal729 For This Useful Post:
his#1 bball fan (04-09-2012), K-Mom (04-11-2012)
Old 04-09-2012, 06:16 PM
CALI Gal
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,597 Times in 1,077 Posts

People telling you RJD is different, I think could have been in a positive way (compared to other CA prisons). I visited here for 4 yrs and for the most part found it to be decent. Find out what yard he will be at and maybe some folks from that yard can give you some 411. Welcome to our forum

The Following User Says Thank You to his#1 bball fan For This Useful Post:
K-Mom (04-11-2012)
Old 04-10-2012, 03:14 PM

So, my husband has been down for over 9 months now and im telling you dont expect him to be in the same frame of mind as he was in county...its completely different in reception, they are on in cells 23 hours a day and get out every other day for a 5 min shower and yard once a week...i continually send him paper and pre-stamped envelopes and a letter some pictues in a priority pre-marked white bubble envelope at the post office....it gets to them much faster that way for some reason, i dunno if your man is into puzzles or books but if so go to Amazon.com and it gets to them in about a week...all that is what they call "love" and that knowing that the person on the other side of the gate is supportive and understanding and most of all patient with the process, cause it is all hurry up to wait there...i hope i helped and if there is any thing you want to know about RJD i'll gladly give you all the advice i can
Old 04-10-2012, 03:22 PM

I wish my husband were only in for 6 months really you'll get through it...just continue sending you letters, that does let them know that all is well at home and that gives them some sort of peace of mind
Old 04-11-2012, 07:52 AM
GOTHIKA

be thankful for months, many in here are lifers or doin hard time like myself for yearssssssssssss goin on 10 years but we are on a downslope now = )
Old 04-11-2012, 07:53 AM
GOTHIKA

unless you done other prisons and have been doin this for yearsssssssss you have no idea that RICHARD J DONOVAN PRISON IS KNOWN AS DISNEYLAND i have found it so far to be the best one yet and this is my fourth prison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by his#1 bball fan View Post
People telling you RJD is different, I think could have been in a positive way (compared to other CA prisons). I visited here for 4 yrs and for the most part found it to be decent. Find out what yard he will be at and maybe some folks from that yard can give you some 411. Welcome to our forum

Last edited by gothika; 04-11-2012 at 07:55 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to gothika For This Useful Post:
K-Mom (04-11-2012)
Old 04-11-2012, 11:09 PM
K-Mom

Default huge thanks!

thank you to everyone who has replied. Called down to the facility and the people I spoke to were all very helpful and polite. Got his address and made an appt. for a visit this weekend. The person I spoke to said it is scheduled as a through glass appt. but by Saturday might be contact...I'm praying. Got a letter from son and he seems in good spirits. I will be sending his first quarterly package. Any suggestions on what to prioritize into the first package? He is on A yard. Any other information would be appreciated.
The Following User Says Thank You to K-Mom For This Useful Post:
gothika (04-12-2012)
Closed Thread