Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > R. J. Donovan Correctional Facility at Rock Mountain (RJD) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

R. J. Donovan Correctional Facility at Rock Mountain (RJD) - California Topics, Discussions and Information relating to the Richard J. Donovan Correctional Facility at Rock Mountain (RJD) located in San Diego, California.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:17 PM

Thanked 1,862 Times in 1,071 Posts
Default RJD Visitation & Dress Code Thread

If itís about visiting, dress code or visiting approval it goes here.
This thread is for INFO, Q&A ONLY.
The Following User Says Thank You to traviesita For This Useful Post:
HisLightShines (01-16-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2013, 12:39 AM
Donation Award 

ok, so tomorrow is my first visit at donovan. I have an apt for a non contact visit @1130, the lady that made my appt said 30 minutes early, to get there, but I have also heard an hour early. Can anyone tell me how the glass visits are? I have never had one and I am new to this prison. My husband has been at kern valley state prison in delano the past 18 months but just got transfered to donovan a week or so ago. Also, is it a long walk to where I will be going? wondering if I should wear heels or just some boots. Are they strict about jeans being too tight? I have some black jeans I was gonna try to wear. If I dont get in with what I wear, will they let me go change? Thanks for all the information. Im so confused and will be so lost tomorrow, I dont even know where I need to go! ;(
Old 01-05-2013, 05:31 PM
Donation Award 

ok, so visit was aweosme, *even though it was behind the glass*. The staff was very nice and treated me with respect and even smiled, more than I can say for KVSP the last 2 years! Sooo glad we moved! Food is better, outside visiting, not over crowded, bigger visitor processing center and a much better way of doing things there. There is seperate lines for appointments and passes are called in order. AWESOME!
The Following User Says Thank You to HisLightShines For This Useful Post:
gothika (01-07-2013)
Old 01-07-2013, 08:24 AM
GOTHIKA

i like donovan i been there for 7 years now and comparing to other prisons i went to, this one is ok by me jajajjaj.
The Following User Says Thank You to gothika For This Useful Post:
HisLightShines (01-16-2013)
Old 01-08-2013, 05:24 PM
Donation Award 

can anyone tell me what kinds of food they have at visit and how much it is? also, I know we can take 50 dollars per adult, but can we only take one dollar bills and quarters? or any change. thanks in advance! lol I had a window visit last week and again this week until my husband sees his counselor, so I just wanna be prepared for that contact visit once he gets it in a couple weeks.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:45 PM
Donation Award 

124 views for this thread and noo ne has been able to answer any questions? lol KVSP thread was never this dead, where are all the Donovan ladies at???
Old 01-18-2013, 08:06 AM
GOTHIKA

goin this weekend gonna play the visiting time game right and hope for a good long day with mi pelon = ) drive safe and have a good weekend ! hay te voy pelon = )
HisLightShines (01-18-2013)
Old 01-28-2013, 08:15 AM
GOTHIKA

visiting this weekend was good, my room had few terminations from the ones who came in first. patio closed due to rain. special was double cheeseburger with fries and cole slaw. at 930 am the photo ducat machine was still kicking. drive to donovan on the 805 there was a 3 car pile up peeps do not know who to drive in rain they still want to speed = ( on the way home to LAX it was smooth = )
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gothika For This Useful Post:
cottage style (01-28-2013), traviesita (01-29-2013)
Old 01-28-2013, 08:35 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothika View Post
visiting this weekend was good, my room had few terminations from the ones who came in first. patio closed due to rain. special was double cheeseburger with fries and cole slaw. at 930 am the photo ducat machine was still kicking. drive to donovan on the 805 there was a 3 car pile up peeps do not know who to drive in rain they still want to speed = ( on the way home to LAX it was smooth = )
Hey girl, my visit was good as well. I also got my man the special, he loved it. It was our first contact visit at donovan, and the first time he has ever been anywhere where you can order food like that, he was in heaven...lol It sucked that the patio was closed, I wanted to go out there, even if it was raining. I thought I saw you chica, but I wasnt sure. Did you wear a black top and black jeans? With some dangling earings? I didnt want to look like a weirdo, thats why I didnt say anything...lol
gothika (01-29-2013)
Old 01-28-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarmackAmanda View Post
Hey girl, my visit was good as well. I also got my man the special, he loved it. It was our first contact visit at donovan, and the first time he has ever been anywhere where you can order food like that, he was in heaven...lol It sucked that the patio was closed, I wanted to go out there, even if it was raining. I thought I saw you chica, but I wasnt sure. Did you wear a black top and black jeans? With some dangling earings? I didnt want to look like a weirdo, thats why I didnt say anything...lol
On Sunday- I ordered my hubby the carne asada burrito- this was the second time we had it- he ate it like it was made out of gold... yum..yum..yum. The food is pretty bad inside- they can finally eat real food. I can't afford it every weekend- but I get when I can. Visting on Sat was crazy busy- We hate when the patio is closed too.... so crowded------not so fond of the new CO on Sat but we will see how it goes....

Looking forward to this Sat- can't wait to see my man.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:14 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by comehomesoon View Post
On Sunday- I ordered my hubby the carne asada burrito- this was the second time we had it- he ate it like it was made out of gold... yum..yum..yum. The food is pretty bad inside- they can finally eat real food. I can't afford it every weekend- but I get when I can. Visting on Sat was crazy busy- We hate when the patio is closed too.... so crowded------not so fond of the new CO on Sat but we will see how it goes....

Looking forward to this Sat- can't wait to see my man.
What yard is ur man on? How long have u guys been at donovan? My husband was just transfered a month ago, I have been going every Saturday, but the first 3 visits were behind the glass, so this past weekend was our 1st contact at this prison. The last prison he was at in delano, there wasn't outside visiting, so im hoping the patio is open and we can enjoy outside time together. Man I love my babes....lol id visit him at a sewer plant if that's all we had, so I wont complain! Lol and is the carne asada burrito good? What's it come with? And how much $ is it? I was new to ordering and the guy was kinda inpatient with me he rushed me, actually told me to hurry up...lol made me feel bad
comehomesoon (01-30-2013)
Old 01-29-2013, 08:16 AM
GOTHIKA

i am in d yard and i have red hair and i wear black all the time, my hubby tall, please if you see me come by and say hello they will always close patio with rain, i hate it cus we spend our whole visit outside, its just too freakin loud for me inside the visiting room yuckssssssssssssssssss. we are special in dononvan when it comes to food they are only a few prisons in cali that have that kind of service, as you know its only vending machines otherwise.

Quote:

Last edited by gothika; 01-29-2013 at 08:18 AM..
HisLightShines (01-29-2013)
Old 01-30-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
What yard is ur man on? How long have u guys been at donovan? My husband was just transfered a month ago, I have been going every Saturday, but the first 3 visits were behind the glass, so this past weekend was our 1st contact at this prison. The last prison he was at in delano, there wasn't outside visiting, so im hoping the patio is open and we can enjoy outside time together. Man I love my babes....lol id visit him at a sewer plant if that's all we had, so I wont complain! Lol and is the carne asada burrito good? What's it come with? And how much $ is it? I was new to ordering and the guy was kinda inpatient with me he rushed me, actually told me to hurry up...lol made me feel bad
Same yard as you. Ditto on the love- I'd visit at a sewer plant too - stand in the rain, in the corner, you name it! I just want to see my man! My hubby transferred down in September- we were at Mule Creek for 8 years- I wish we could go back- but not much chance of that happening- esp since I just moved here to be with him.

The carne asade Burrito is fantastic! i can't afford the Donovan food every week but this one is worth it. It is huge and it comes with rice and beans. With tax it is $14.00. I had a run in with the food guy once too- they messed up my order (like it was completely the wrong thing) and then was rude when I asked for my money back. Unfortunately- he doesn't have to be nice- if you want the food- he is the only way to get it.

I am trying to get a second vending machine with food- sandwiches and the such. Donovan is just too much for every weekend- I go both days every week. Our yard is new to visiting to the visiting room is still lacking- no clock- no mural for pictures- no ice cream machine... We recently just got more tables.

PM me and I'll tell you how to know who I am and vice versa so that we can meet!
Old 02-01-2013, 08:07 AM
GOTHIKA

getting ready to go see him this weekend, doin hair, nails check, clothes check, car gassed up and what the hell is going on with gas prices again!? i expect it to be crowded cus of the good weather goin but this girl knowsssssss how to play the TIME GAME lol been doin it now goin on 8 yrs at donovan : )
cottage style (02-01-2013)
Old 02-04-2013, 08:16 AM
GOTHIKA

nice weather this weekend for visiting, gots to get to visit even laters, people have gotten a hold of comiing in even later to not get terminated, special was bar b cue pork sandwich it was good, i heard they are not selling anymore pizzas something about the owner having problems with the vendor, too bad, had it good for a couple of years. drive to donovan was smooth and drive back also = ) love my patio = )
Old 02-04-2013, 02:51 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothika View Post
nice weather this weekend for visiting, gots to get to visit even laters, people have gotten a hold of comiing in even later to not get terminated, special was bar b cue pork sandwich it was good, i heard they are not selling anymore pizzas something about the owner having problems with the vendor, too bad, had it good for a couple of years. drive to donovan was smooth and drive back also = ) love my patio = )
I didnt end up making it, I was dying sick, went to urgent care friday night and they wanted to keep me. My honey was so sad, I felt terrible, and even more terrible after I found out it was pork for the special, thats his fav and he hasnt had it in years. ;( Glad you had a good visit and that your patio was open! =)
gothika (02-05-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 11:09 AM

hola girls i need some help please my babe just got endorsed to RJ from crc norco he got there yesterday how soon can i go n visit ? is there a immagration side at Rj cause thats where there were going to take him . his from canada , so they have a imagaration hold on him untill canada picks him up , how early do i need to be there ? any info would be aprreciated , oh and will my approval fallow him or should i call to check b4 i drive out there and whats the # and extions Gracias
Old 02-16-2013, 11:39 PM
K-Mom

I usually visit my son in A yard/visiting room once, sometimes twice a month. Because of the three day weekends I have been the last two weekends in a row and don't recognize the visiting room! There are new personnel who are so rude it is unbelievable and the waiting is insane. The new people checking shoes and such before you walk through the metal detector are ridiculously strict with visitors for clothing and money and Kleenex, for crying outloud! Going through the check in and search process can be so tense and shaming even with how nice the old officers tried to be. I really got the feeling that they had some empathy for the visitors coming to see loved ones and they tried to make the process as quick and humane as possible.

But the last two visits, today and last weekend, were horrible. Huge waits because of the increased and arbitrary scrutiny, the rude lectures about non violations, just for the heck of it, the huge number of people being sent to change clothes they've worn before and never had problems with, the counting of dollar by dollar....the waiting room was so tense, visitors being rude to eachother, line cutting, etc. all behavior I think was due to the increased stress being generated by the new, RUDE, staff members.

One officer lectured my husband over and over about the two keys he had, his car key and house key on a single ring. She pulled out a paper with the rules, which says two keys allowed and then told him that even though it said two keys that he didn't need to bring his house key in and that next time she would consider it an attachment and wouldn't let him in with it because his car key fob was big enough by itself that it was like two keys. Then she told the elderly woman after him that she had the wrong kind of Baggie for her money. The elderly woman said, "I've been bringing it forever." The officer said, "Well, today's not forever." She dumped the lady's money out and took her Baggie.

Does anyone have a clue about what is going on there? It's just crazy.

Last edited by K-Mom; 02-16-2013 at 11:40 PM..
Old 02-18-2013, 09:59 PM
CALI Gal
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,597 Times in 1,077 Posts

K-mom - they do staff rotations every so often at RJD. It is always a bumpy ride for the visitors when this happens because the new CO's don't know how things really work there. I suggest talking to the visiting Sgt about what's going on so that he/she is aware of what is happening. Give them a call or shoot them an email.

Gothica-they did away with the pizzas?! That's too bad!!! I loved their pizzas, not too bad for the price and always filled up my extra visitors I would take. Hope they bring them back!

Wanted to stop by and say hi to all my folks of RJD I miss you girls. Hubby and I are doing just fine. Waiting for this parole to be over with! Hopefully by this year.
The Following User Says Thank You to his#1 bball fan For This Useful Post:
K-Mom (02-22-2013)
Old 02-19-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Mom View Post
I usually visit my son in A yard/visiting room once, sometimes twice a month. Because of the three day weekends I have been the last two weekends in a row and don't recognize the visiting room! There are new personnel who are so rude it is unbelievable and the waiting is insane. The new people checking shoes and such before you walk through the metal detector are ridiculously strict with visitors for clothing and money and Kleenex, for crying outloud! Going through the check in and search process can be so tense and shaming even with how nice the old officers tried to be. I really got the feeling that they had some empathy for the visitors coming to see loved ones and they tried to make the process as quick and humane as possible.

But the last two visits, today and last weekend, were horrible. Huge waits because of the increased and arbitrary scrutiny, the rude lectures about non violations, just for the heck of it, the huge number of people being sent to change clothes they've worn before and never had problems with, the counting of dollar by dollar....the waiting room was so tense, visitors being rude to eachother, line cutting, etc. all behavior I think was due to the increased stress being generated by the new, RUDE, staff members.

One officer lectured my husband over and over about the two keys he had, his car key and house key on a single ring. She pulled out a paper with the rules, which says two keys allowed and then told him that even though it said two keys that he didn't need to bring his house key in and that next time she would consider it an attachment and wouldn't let him in with it because his car key fob was big enough by itself that it was like two keys. Then she told the elderly woman after him that she had the wrong kind of Baggie for her money. The elderly woman said, "I've been bringing it forever." The officer said, "Well, today's not forever." She dumped the lady's money out and took her Baggie.

Does anyone have a clue about what is going on there? It's just crazy.
Yes, it was two newer people- not totally new but new to processing through the metal detector. It was by far the worst it ever was. If you couldn't walk through with your hands at your sides, you had to go back to friends for help. Every last little nit picky thing.

They even made one lady cry- so spoke hardly any English and they were rude and yelling at her because the metal detector kept going off. THis was two weekends ago. I know that one of the ladies from friends outside let the lt and sgt know.

This past weekend was a lot better- the lt was out there watching the whole time. While it still wasn't great- it was better.

Yes, the changing of the guards is always "fun"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to comehomesoon For This Useful Post:
K-Mom (02-22-2013), LOVINGBREED (02-25-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 05:40 PM
GOTHIKA

yes they did girl can you believe it? jijijiji dammm. it was great if you came in with a group you know? miss you girl and my other girl too hope you guys are doin fine, lots of new peeps at the prison now, only a few of us og's around jijiji

Quote:
Originally Posted by his#1 bball fan View Post
K-mom - they do staff rotations every so often at RJD. It is always a bumpy ride for the visitors when this happens because the new CO's don't know how things really work there. I suggest talking to the visiting Sgt about what's going on so that he/she is aware of what is happening. Give them a call or shoot them an email.

Gothica-they did away with the pizzas?! That's too bad!!! I loved their pizzas, not too bad for the price and always filled up my extra visitors I would take. Hope they bring them back!

Wanted to stop by and say hi to all my folks of RJD I miss you girls. Hubby and I are doing just fine. Waiting for this parole to be over with! Hopefully by this year.
K-Mom (02-22-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 05:44 PM
GOTHIKA

the restrictions always change with the new group of co's that come around to process us in the front, its still not that bad, when i started 11years ago, at prisons you had to wear loose t-shirts cus you could not have it tight around the breast and they had to be below the butt cus you could not show any pants that were tight on the butt. it was the same 8 years ago at donovan. we have it easy now. = )

Last edited by gothika; 02-21-2013 at 05:45 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gothika For This Useful Post:
cottage style (02-21-2013), K-Mom (02-22-2013)
Old 02-24-2013, 08:37 PM

Default Allowable Visitor Items

Hi Everyone-

Please be aware of some new rules posted this weekend (without any warning I might add). Some are new and some are not. Mostly the jewelery are new restrictions.

Visitors are allowed to wear/bring in:

(1) pair of glasses
(1) watch
(1) pair of earrings
(1) bracelet
(1) necklace with (1) medalion
(10) photos

No body piercings.

No hats.

No wigs or hairpieces unless approved by the warden.

Of course there are the usual money restrictions as well.

I don't have a copy of the complete list but I will be asking for it and then will post for everyone.

Also, even though not listed, they were restricting visitors to one ring.

The necklace that I have worn now for 8 years is now "not allowed" because it has more than one "medalion" on it.

The New COs are very strict on skirt lengths, leggings, see through shirts (even if you have one another one on underneath) and if there is any possibility that you can see through your skirt- they will make you change.

Just a word to the wise- if in doubt- don't wear it or leave it in your car.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:13 AM
GOTHIKA

drive to rjd saturday was smooth as always, processing was pretty normal in speed, weather was very nice, cool and sunny out in the patio, too noisy for me to stay indoors. special was turkey sub it was ok. photo ducat machine was working when i got there. lots of new people to prison in our room. Ira told me that they are selling pizzas every other weekend for now. drive back to LAX was smooth.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by comehomesoon View Post
Hi Everyone-

Please be aware of some new rules posted this weekend (without any warning I might add). Some are new and some are not. Mostly the jewelery are new restrictions.

Visitors are allowed to wear/bring in:

(1) pair of glasses
(1) watch
(1) pair of earrings
(1) bracelet
(1) necklace with (1) medalion
(10) photos

No body piercings.

No hats.

No wigs or hairpieces unless approved by the warden.

Of course there are the usual money restrictions as well.

I don't have a copy of the complete list but I will be asking for it and then will post for everyone.

Also, even though not listed, they were restricting visitors to one ring.

The necklace that I have worn now for 8 years is now "not allowed" because it has more than one "medalion" on it.

The New COs are very strict on skirt lengths, leggings, see through shirts (even if you have one another one on underneath) and if there is any possibility that you can see through your skirt- they will make you change.

Just a word to the wise- if in doubt- don't wear it or leave it in your car.

HI , i was there this saturday and it was a mess, can u tell me , are we allowed to wear sandals and i mean like cute sandals ? to my understanding we are NOT allowed to weare shower sandals or flip flops . i had some cute sandals and CO Fairhaven made me go back and change my shoes , he was on one he made so many girls change and made them turn around b4 he even dicided that it was ok to let them in , he kept checking our buts to see if our pants were to tight , , some girls were ok to were white pants and some were not .