Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BREAK TIME > The Spiritual Connection
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: what spiritual or religious path (if any) do you follow?
jewish 2 1.21%
muslim 11 6.67%
buddhist 5 3.03%
hindu 4 2.42%
catholic 26 15.76%
christian 83 50.30%
pagan 10 6.06%
agnostic 6 3.64%
athiest 7 4.24%
other 11 6.67%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2006, 07:28 PM
Banned

Default what religious or spiritual path do you follow?

what religious or spiritual path (if any) do you follow?

Last edited by JJsPenPal; 02-08-2006 at 07:29 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2006, 10:19 PM
one lucky woman

The road less traveled more like a path through the woods

Diamond: a lump of coal that did well under pressure
Old 02-08-2006, 10:28 PM
Banned

hard core atheist
Old 02-08-2006, 11:33 PM

Christian
Old 02-09-2006, 09:37 PM
Banned

athiest/buddhist/pagan
Old 02-11-2006, 01:45 AM
Guess who's back...

I was baptized Lutheran but I really don't follow any particular religion. I recognize that there is a higher power whether you chose to call it Buddah, Allah, God, etc and I believe that if you pray your prayers wil be answered in his or her own way in his or her own time. I don't personally believe in a fiery Hell. I believe that hell is only a place that you can create for yourself. I feel that as long as you believe in your heart then you don't need to go to a place of worship to prove it.

I was a member of a church and a youth group up until I was 16 years old. I was secretary at the weekly meetings and they would argue about charging or not charging an extra $.25 on the pies at the bazaar that year. They would argue to the point where someone wouldn't come to church for a month or forever. Once I saw the inside workings of the church I just really wasn't too interested anymore.

My husband has however connected with God and wants me to start looking into a progressive church not too far from our home. We went there for a free baby item exchange and heard a tape playing of the music that they play at service and we got to know these people a little bit. I need to get on that on Sunday!
Old 02-11-2006, 07:16 AM
Frenchy Member

Just out of curiosity, what difference do you make in your poll between "Christian" and "Catholic" ?? As far as I know, the Catholics are Christians.

To answer the question, I'm atheist.

Phil
Old 02-11-2006, 07:31 AM
Mrs. Steele

Christians and Catholics are not the same. Anyways....I'm Christian.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Damaris For This Useful Post:
brianandamber (05-05-2013), LimeTiger (03-22-2013), tomcres (03-22-2013)
Old 02-11-2006, 08:10 AM
Frenchy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaris
Christians and Catholics are not the same.
Wow that's an explanation !!!!!!!!

Within Christianity you find, Catholics, Orthodox, Lutherians, Presbyterians, Baptists Methodists etc.... That's why I was asking why there was a distinction between Catholic and Christian in this poll.

Phil
Old 02-11-2006, 09:30 AM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

I too think of Catholics as Christian and have never understood why others don't.

Last edited by ajap; 02-11-2006 at 10:30 AM..
Old 02-11-2006, 10:30 AM

I'm Christian, Assembly of God, so is my husband. You tread a fine line when start judging what constitutes a Christian and what does not, regarding the Catholic issue. Their faith is not for us to judge, name or determine.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:59 PM
Immanuel-God With Us

Christian. However, the word christian has so many negative associations these days. Basically, I believe in the Holy Bible as the true word of God.
Old 02-15-2006, 08:22 PM
The Lord is my strength
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,781 Times in 790 Posts

Christian: i.e., follower of Christ.

I consider Catholicism a denomination. As far as being Christian, I think there are Christians who are Catholics, but not all Catholics are Christians. I would say pretty much the same for all denominations and non-denominations. As bobbysbaby said, it's not for us to judge. The Lord knows whose hearts are wholly His.

"And all things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive." ~ Matthew 21:22

Old 02-16-2006, 05:18 PM
Frenchy Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Believing
I consider Catholicism a denomination. As far as being Christian, I think there are Christians who are Catholics, but not all Catholics are Christians.

Within Christianity, numerous distinct groups have developed, with diverse beliefs that vary widely by culture and place. Since the Reformation, Christianity is usually represented as being divided into three main branches:

Catholicism: The Roman Catholic Church, the largest single body — which includes several Eastern Catholic communities — as well as certain smaller communities (e.g., the Old-Catholics), with more than 1 billion baptized members.

Eastern Christianity: Oriental Orthodox Churches, the Assyrian Church of the East, and the Eastern Orthodox Churches, with a combined membership of more than 240 million baptized members.

Protestantism: Numerous denominations and groups such as Anglicans, Lutherans, Reformed, Evangelical, Charismatic, Presbyterians, Baptists, Methodists, Anabaptists, and Pentecostals. The oldest of these groups separated from the Roman Catholic Church in the 16th-century Protestant Reformation. The later groups typically formed as separations from the older ones. Some Protestants identify themselves simply as Christian, or born-again Christian. Others, particularly among Anglicans and in Neo-Lutheranism, identify themselves as being "both Catholic and Protestant". Worldwide total is just under 500 million.
Other denominations and churches which self-identify as Christian but which distance themselves from the above classifications together claim around 275 million members. These include African indigenous churches with up to 110 million members (estimates vary widely), The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (also called Mormons) with more than 12 million members3, Jehovah's Witnesses with approximately 6.6 million members4, and other groups5. The early leaders of most of these groups were originally Protestant adherents.

These broad divisions do not themselves encompass unanimity. On the contrary, some branches encompass vast disagreements, while in other cases the divisions overlook strong sympathies between and among the groups. Nevertheless, this tends to be the standard overview of distinctions, especially as viewed in the Western world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity

Phil
Old 02-16-2006, 05:34 PM
Te quiero Papucho!

Wink Phil....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil in Paris
Just out of curiosity, what difference do you make in your poll between "Christian" and "Catholic" ?? As far as I know, the Catholics are Christians.

To answer the question, I'm atheist.

Phil

Just to clearify your question...Christians & Catholics are not the same.

I was born a catholic & converted to Christianity almost a year ago.
Yes we both believe that Jesus is our savior. But Catholics also belive in other saints & Virgin Mary. They dont follow the word or read the Bible as a Christian does or should. Catholics also give God's credit to the other saints & so on.

When on the other hand Christians believe In The Father the Son & the Holy spirit. We follow him through he's word & only glorify him & pray to him. Only..therefore they are sightly different.

Poncho's Love
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ponchos Love For This Useful Post:
brianandamber (05-05-2013), tomcres (03-22-2013)
Old 02-16-2006, 07:12 PM
He COMPLETES Me!

I am Christian....and follow the only way....The Bible.~~~brandi
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnBrandi4life For This Useful Post:
tomcres (03-22-2013)
Old 02-16-2006, 07:37 PM
Busy Dizzy Admin
Donation Award 

Thanked 21,585 Times in 5,572 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponchos Love

Yes we both believe that Jesus is our savior. But Catholics also belive in other saints & Virgin Mary. They dont follow the word or read the Bible as a Christian does or should. Catholics also give God's credit to the other saints & so on.

When on the other hand Christians believe In The Father the Son & the Holy spirit. We follow him through he's word & only glorify him & pray to him. Only..therefore they are sightly different.

Poncho's Love
without wishing to start a huge doctrinal debate:

I am a practising Roman Catholic, and of course I am a Christian.
We honour Mary as an example of a life lived for God. We don't pray to her - this is a common misconception.
We don't pray to saints, we honour their lives and achievements and ask them to pray for us. Saints are respected in much the same way as a beautiful work of art is admired, but all the credit still goes to the artist. (God)

I hear the Bible every Sunday at Mass and we are encouraged to read and absorb the word of God within it.
Part of the Creed which we recite on Sundays reflects our belief in the Trinity.

I think what sometimes happens is that people confuse the doctrines of Catholicism (which are profoundly Christian) with the actions of fallible humans and organisations.

Like I say, I'm not trying to start an argument, but felt I had to mention some of these points. And I am most definitely not saying that my tenets of faith are better or more "holy" than anyone elses.

I believe that it isn't what you say, but what you do that marks what kind of person you are. So it doesn't matter who or what you think waters your tree, but only what kind of fruit it bears.

In peace,
Rachel x
Old 02-17-2006, 04:42 PM
Te quiero Papucho!

Wink Just giving you a responce to my expirences...

I am a practising Roman Catholic, and of course I am a Christian.
We honour Mary as an example of a life lived for God. We don't pray to her - this is a common misconception. (

** We recongnize that Mary was a good exsample of what our path to the Lord should be. But when I was a practicing Catholic I was thought through catezismo to pray to ( La Virgen Maria) infact I know prayers that where rehersed every sunday @ mass by the whole church towards her. So that she may interfere for us to our father God.

We don't pray to saints, we honour their lives and achievements and ask them to pray for us. Saints are respected in much the same way as a beautiful work of art is admired, but all the credit still goes to the artist. (God)

**In my expirience..saints where always adored. St. Jude..ST Anthony .ST..Joe..ect again we would give them prayers who should be directed to God. Same with Crosse's & statues they always prayed to them we even had them at home.

I hear the Bible every Sunday at Mass and we are encouraged to read and absorb the word of God within it.
Part of the Creed which we recite on Sundays reflects our belief in the Trinity.

** We usto hear the Bible on sundays too. But not as theral as a Christian is thought.

I was an active member of my Catholic Church for years.. & in one or two months of studying the word. I learned more about the word of God . In just learning to read the Bible. Than in all my years of Catholic School & Sunday school & all the teaching for all of my Holy Sacraments. Which I accomplished all of them except...Marriage.
One day @ a retreat my Priest at my church was encouring us to read study books on how to be a good Catholic. So I asked him Why we couldnt just teach our members to read the word? & He didnt know how to respond..he simply brushed me off. I picked up my Bible & said "Father this is the only study book we should be reading! But he just smiled & moved on to something else.

I think what sometimes happens is that people confuse the doctrines of Catholicism (which are profoundly Christian) with the actions of fallible humans and organisations.

Like I say, I'm not trying to start an argument, but felt I had to mention some of these points. And I am most definitely not saying that my tenets of faith are better or more "holy" than anyone elses.

I believe that it isn't what you say, but what you do that marks what kind of person you are. So it doesn't matter who or what you think waters your tree, but only what kind of fruit it bears.

I can defenetly tell you that what you do for GOD does..matter. Because only he see's it all & yes I defenetly agree with you that what fruit you bear is so important. Because one soul that we might scare or disencourage away from GOD is one soul that we are going to be apointed for on judgement day.

I'm just sharing what my expience was after being in both religions I can tell you they are very different. But GOD is every where & I believe that as long as you have faith in your life of some higher power then you'll be ok. But we should all be looking for GOD. Again I'm not debating just sharing..

God Bless

Ponchos Love

Old 03-13-2006, 08:16 PM
Banned

Red face

Spiritual -- I have a spiritual relationship with God, and the Holy Bible is the only book that I get into.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:28 PM
RachelisJims

I am Christian and proude to be....

James 1

1James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ,
To the twelve tribes scattered among the nations:
Greetings. Trials and Temptations

2Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. 4Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. 5If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him. 6But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. 7That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord; 8he is a double-minded man, unstable in all he does.
Old 03-19-2006, 11:55 PM

Poncho's Love, thank you! It is so good to hear a former Catholic explain all of that. It is always taken badly and starts a fight when a Christian explains it. Also, I am a Christian and my so-called religion didn't originate from the Catholic religion. Two whole seperate belief systems! People who study the origins of all the religions amuse me. They seem to get their info from one big book, and their conclusion seems to tell which sect wrote their book. Like when the Catholic church attempts to take credit for the origination of everything to do with God. Baloney!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jennn For This Useful Post:
tomcres (03-22-2013)
Old 03-23-2006, 04:21 PM
Te quiero Papucho!

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennn
Poncho's Love, thank you! It is so good to hear a former Catholic explain all of that. It is always taken badly and starts a fight when a Christian explains it. Also, I am a Christian and my so-called religion didn't originate from the Catholic religion. Two whole seperate belief systems! People who study the origins of all the religions amuse me. They seem to get their info from one big book, and their conclusion seems to tell which sect wrote their book. Like when the Catholic church attempts to take credit for the origination of everything to do with God. Baloney!
Jenn...

Religion is very touchy...subject. Because it discomports everything that a person might believe. Ahh..I dont know what the Catholic religion has taken credit for. But I only know what God has thought me through he's word. Jesus teaches through he's word that there are people in each religion who are not true. But again we can only be acountable for our selves....( I met Jesus Christ at my Catholic Church ). Now many catholic churches are learning about spiritual gifts & the carismatic approach to God. But it trully is a heart felt choice. God will direct direct anymore where they need to be to do he's will as long as they are willing.

Ponchos Love
Old 03-24-2006, 11:06 PM
The Lord is my strength
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,781 Times in 790 Posts

Many people call themselves Christians. Of course, John 3:16 says it all.

But, here are my thoughts:
Jesus is the way, the truth and the life. I know Jesus as Lord of my life. I have accepted His gift of salvation and I acknowledge Him as the Son of God, who died on the cross for my sins, and rose from the dead so I could have eternal life with Him. To know Him is to have a personal relationship with Him; a relationship is formed by spending time with the person. That's why reading the Bible, which is the Living Word of God, and spending time with the Lord in prayer is so important.

As far as Christians vs Catholics. I know Catholics that are Christians and I know Catholics that are not -- just as everyone who goes to a Christian chuch on Sunday (or Saturday) is not necessarily a Christian. As Christians, we are to be the Body of Christ, united in Spirit and purpose. The enemy would like nothing better than to cause division in the Church (those who have accepted Christ as their Savior). Therefore it is better for us to "encourage on another and build up one another" as it says in 1 Thessalonians 5:11. We won't bring others into the kingdom of God by judging; instead we should be showing the unconditional love of the Lord.

May God abundantly bless each and every one of you!

"And all things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive." ~ Matthew 21:22

Old 03-24-2006, 11:13 PM
Mrs Trouble

Well I belive in Wicca of a Celtic and Norse background. I believe in Many GODS and GODDESSES. I also believe in Karma.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:53 PM

Thanked 2,007 Times in 536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponchos Love

Poncho's Love

Poncho, I don't know what Catholic Church you went to but the one I went to had readings from God's Holy Bible at every Mass. In our creed of faith, we profess to our belief in God the Father Almighty, His only Son, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit. We recognize the Saints for following God's commands and putting it to action in their lives. I think you really got mixed up on this religion. God is the Almighty and no one can take His credit away. I respect every ones right to their beliefs but let's not give wrong info.
Closed Thread